TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! New to posting on this forum but, have monitored it for a long while. I finally pulled the trigger on a new 2018 TW today and figured it was time to actually participate?. So after reading an exhausting amount about tires, exhaust and jetting, spings, etc. I thought I’d throw out the following question: If money were no object what upgrades would you do to your TW and why? I really want to do the atv tire rear but am overwhelmed by the information on here and unsure which one will bead without sanding etc. BTW I have the pro taper handlebars ordered already and am considering which footpegs and shifter to get. Anyway, looking forward to participating in the forum and possibly meeting up this year with some WA riders( I’m in Oroville).

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seat Concepts foam and gripper cover. If I could only keep one thing, this would be it. LED headlight next.
That’s interesting, hadn’t considered the seat. Thanks for the tip. LED headlight for cosmetics or function? Any particular light you like best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Welcome BearScat, good question!

As someone who has made nearly all of the mods known to this forum, here is my perspective on this subject. The TW really is a pretty simple bike to work on, except for the electrical stuff and carbs (neither of which I understand). Everything else just requires some mechanical ability, some basic tools (plus the ability to acquire more, as needed), and a willingness to tackle tasks that you may have never done before. The good thing is there is plenty of good information on this forum for doing just about everything you can to a TW. The bad thing is there is so much information here (along with some misinformation, many thread hijacks, and some inside jokes that probably makes no sense to most readers) that it makes it difficult to wade through it all. Don't hesitate to ask questions but please make at least some effort to do some searching on your own first (some of us oldtimers get a little weary of new members asking questions that have already been asked and answered many times over).

Most of the popular mods can be made without spending big bucks. One of the best things about the TW is that there have been very few significant changes over its 30+ year history. This means that it is relatively easy and inexpensive to find used parts, rather than buying new (although there don't seem to the bargains out there like there were a few years ago). Craigslist is your friend.

One of the first, and best, mods that I made was to install a kickstarter. This requires removal of the right hand engine cover, removal of the clutch, installation of the internal kicker parts, followed by replacement of the clutch, side cover gasket, and side cover. This was intimidating to me the first time, but after you have done it once, you are now an expert. Many TW mods are like this - they may seem intimidating at first, but most are not that difficult.

Which mods you want to make will depend upon how you intend to use your bike. Admittedly, my bike was a bit of a garage queen for the first year or so that I had it. It wasn't until I joined in on a couple of group rides, dumped it more than a few times, and got a few scratches (on both me and the bike), that I really started to appreciate the TW's capabilities and also met a lot of new friends. This led me to hosting a number of Wrench & Rides, which led to more mods on my bikes, and helping others with their mods on their bikes. This resulted in ATV tires, extended swingarms, oil coolers, trailer wheels, way too many sprockets, Clarke tanks, TW226 6-speeds, etc., etc., etc.

I hope this helps and welcome to the addiction,

Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Welcome BearScat, good question?

As someone who has made nearly all of the mods known to this forum, here is my perspective on this subject. The TW really is a pretty simple bike to work on, except for the electrical stuff and carbs (neither of which I understand). Everything else just requires some mechanical ability, some basic tools (plus the ability to acquire more, as needed), and a willingness to tackle tasks that you may have never done before. The good thing is there is plenty of good information on this forum for doing just about everything you can to a TW. The bad thing is there is so much information here (along with some misinformation, many thread hijacks, and some inside jokes that probably makes no sense to most readers) that it makes it difficult to wade through it all. Don't hesitate to ask questions but please make at least some effort to do some searching on your own first (some of us oldtimers get a little weary of new members asking questions that have already been asked and answered many times over).

Most of the popular mods can be made without spending big bucks. One of the best things about the TW is that there have been very few significant changes over its 30+ year history. This means that it is relatively easy and inexpensive to find used parts, rather than buying new (although there don't seem to the bargains out there like there were a few years ago). Craigslist is your friend.

One of the first, and best, mods that I made was to install a kickstarter. This requires removal of the right hand engine cover, removal of the clutch, installation of the internal kicker parts, followed by replacement of the clutch, side cover gasket, and side cover. This was intimidating to me the first time, but after you have done it once, you are now an expert. Many TW mods are like this - they may seem intimidating at first, but most are not that difficult.

Which mods you want to make will depend upon how you intend to use your bike. Admittedly, my bike was a bit of a garage queen for the first year or so that I had it. It wasn't until I joined in on a couple of group rides, dumped it more than a few times, and got a few scratches (on both me and the bike), that I really started to appreciate the TW's capabilities and also met a lot of new friends. This led me to hosting a number of Wrench & Rides, which led to more mods on my bikes, and helping others with their mods on their bikes. This resulted in ATV tires, extended swingarms, oil coolers, trailer wheels, way too many sprockets, Clarke tanks, TW226 6-speeds, etc., etc., etc.

I hope this helps and welcome to the addiction,

Brian
Thanks Brian, I was leery of asking the question for just those reasons but like you eluded to, this forum is somewhat like google. .03 seconds and 40,000 hits lol. Not only that but a lot of them are old posts. I was hoping for some 2017/18 answers. Trust me, for the past week I have logged many hours reading through the posts on here and often am still left scratching my head. Perhaps I’m just old and slow.

I love the kickstarter idea and was mad that they don’t offer it. When looking through here, the last I remember reading was that there isn’t a package setup for it but rather having to piece them together....is that still the case? Or did I misread something? I am anything but lazy and rely a lot on research however being new to TW’s and dirt bikes in general, I am overwhelmed/ intimidated to try and piece mill things or “shave” tires to make them fit. Especially on a brand new bike.

The other thing to note is “if money were no object” a lot of what I read is “I like it because its cheap” or “carry extra fuel in coke bottles or dish soap bottles because they’re free”...all great tips but, if you could afford anything, what upgrades would you do...and yes I believe you’d still be riding the TW because it is a blast!

I look forward to getting better aquatinted with everyone and hopefully will someday also be a knowledgeable voice on the forum for “noobs”.

·
Registered
158 Posts
TCI Skid Plate if you can find it. Black Jimbo windscreen (looks good and visibility is not a prob), USB port mounted on the handle bars, RAM mount on the handle bars (get the large size to hold an big phone and load the Gaia app [$20] on it for cheap satellite navigation), Shinko 141 front tire, lithium ion battery upgrade, seat concepts, cushy hand grips, handle bar brush guards, LED headlight, mini turn signals, LED brake light, handle bar brush guards, over sized foot pegs, IMS shifter lever, Wolfman small tank bag, two medium Rollie bags, two sets of the shortest Rok straps, Wolfman bottle holsters, 1 liter fuel bottles, happy trails light duty rack, o-ring chain, Allen bolt replacement kit (ebay), aux LED lights and mounts, kick starter kit.

Now I see where all my money and time have gone. I feel like I’m forgetting something, but I’ll probably remember right after I hit POST QUICK REPLY.

A lot of these things are available here:
https://procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
hey ursine feces,

love the name!

tw brian is one of the best guys around and is modest with his knowledge and skills. he does have, or has tried, just about every mod on his collection of bikes. a few of my first mods included a new front tire (for off road the front tire is universally despised), bigger foot pegs, and a bigger tank.

check out my signature for a few threads that show a bunch of mods and ideas to lighten your wallet.

ride on!

joe band

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Welcome to the nuthouse and congratulations on your purchase. The front tire really should be your first investment followed by some handguards and taller bars. After that it just all depends on where and how you will be riding. I have said it before and will say it again my favorite upgrade "after a new front tire" is my headlight upgrade. The OEM headlight scared the crap out of me while riding pavement after dark. Just too many critters sharing our roads here in upstate NY and I never saw them until the last minute with the original lighting.

Tom

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome a board!

If you plan to do any off road then the front tire needs an upgrade to something safer, If you have a later model then a kick starters would be very wise. The ATV tire mod opens up a lot of options for treads and driving in any terrain.
One thing to keep in mind about the ATV tire mod is that you will no longer be DOT-compliant. And you may want to talk to your local DOT or insurance company to see if the mini turn signals and LED head and brake light mods I mentioned in my previous post cause any issues too.

And I did forget a couple of things with my earlier response: ProTaper ATV High handlebars (or mid; I forgot which one doesn’t require cable replacement), or install 2” handlebar risers (I have Rok Speed anti-vibe risers that are expensive but I like the adjustability of them), heated grips and seat kit if you plan to ride in the cold (I do not have either of these).

And JNS engineering makes aux light mounts and a plug and play headlight LED kit for the TW:
JNS Engineering Yamaha TW200 LED Light Mount Bracket

I would also buy a GoPro camera to mount on the handlebars or one of the aux light mounts. But if money were no issue then I’d equip my TW with its own drone (think Blade Runner 2049) to capture all the action:
https://newatlas.com/dji-mavic-pro-review/48204/

·
Registered
20,199 Posts
""If $ were no object"

Better suspension!!!
Having ridden a bit of the bumpy roads around Oroville I imagine you have found out just how much your speed, comfort and safety are limited by the stock TW's meager 6 inches of travel.
One of my TWs has forks from a Tri-Z three wheeler and a rear shock from a Blaster all installed by the former owner. The difference a few more inches of plush travel can make is astounding. So much safer when any machine's speed does not have the tendency to overwhelm the suspension. My other bike still requires me to slow down for approaching obstacles that the longer suspension bike can usually swallow at speed.

My bike was done on the cheap with salvaged Yamaha parts but better options abound. One can improve existing forks with ProCycle Emulators or other revalving services or bore out triple trees and install bigger, longer donor forks with quality internals balance by a better rear shock.

Here is the longer travel TW, it sits a few inches higher. Not saying this is the solution, just an affordable example of suspension upgrades. For example the rear Blaster shock has adjustable rebound dampening which is nice. Gizmo new paint.jpg

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
These would be my picks even if money were an object!

Shinko 241 front tire
Handguards
Rox Pivoting Risers
Cycleracks rear rack
Seat Concepts seat foam and cover
Check oil level in forks and set to 130 mm
bigger foot pegs
folding mirrors
X-Ring chain
either a pigtail with SAE connector in the right side for battery charging without seat removal
or a cigarette plug on the handlebars for GPS or phone charging with an SAE connector in the same place
AGM battery so when you dump it it won't spill acid on your beautiful new bike

I've used the stock rear and never had a kickstarter in 16,000 miles and never missed that or an ATV tire. For 99% of us the stock rear is fine and if you take care to keep your battery charged up you are unlikely to get stranded....I never have.

Have a blast! :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
These would be my picks even if money were an object!

Shinko 241 front tire
Handguards
Rox Pivoting Risers
Cycleracks rear rack
Seat Concepts seat foam and cover
Check oil level in forks and set to 130 mm
bigger foot pegs
folding mirrors
either a pigtail with SAE connector in the right side for battery charging without seat removal
or a cigarette plug on the handlebars for GPS or phone charging with an SAE connector in the same place
AGM battery so when you dump it it won't spill acid on your beautiful new bike

I've used the stock rear and never had a kickstarter in 16,000 miles and never missed that or an ATV tire. For 99% of us the stock rear is fine and if you take care to keep your battery charged up you are unlikely to get stranded....I never have.

Have a blast! :D
Do new TWs still come with flooded batteries? That’s insane.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the responses, you guys rock! Sounds like the front tire is a consensus and may be my next purchase. I plan on trail riding, off road/hunting, sight seeing/camping etc. I however want to also keep the on road capability/legality off the bike for short commutes to and fro. Has anyone looked into or used the DOT UTV rear tire option? I found some in 26/9-14....I believe I read on here somewhere that that would fit?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for all the responses, you guys rock! Sounds like the front tire is a consensus and may be my next purchase. I plan on trail riding, off road/hunting, sight seeing/camping etc. I however want to also keep the on road capability/legality off the bike for short commutes to and fro. Has anyone looked into or used the DOT UTV rear tire option? I found some in 26/9-14....I believe I read on here somewhere that that would fit?

I’ve never heard of a DOT ATV tire but I’ve never really looked either. ATVs can be made Road-legal in AZ. Maybe the DOT there has a list of approved tires. I guessing probably not though.

If you’re going to hunt, then get the Cyclerack rear rack. It’s pretty big.

If u replace ur front tire, then get a heavy duty inner tube and consider using Ride On for motorcycles sealant in it. You can change it yourself but I had a motorcycle shop do it for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve never heard of a DOT ATV tire but I’ve never really looked either. ATVs can be made Road-legal in AZ. Maybe the DOT there has a list of approved tires. I guessing probably not though.

If you’re going to hunt, then get the Cyclerack rear rack. It’s pretty big.

If u replace ur front tire, then get a heavy duty inner tube and consider using Ride On for motorcycles sealant in it. You can change it yourself but I had a motorcycle shop do it for me.
The Kenda Mastadon is rate DOT legal. Will definitely do the heavy duty tubes and sealant.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts