TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been saying this to my boys for awhile now. It's not that they can't afford it, it's that they choose not to wear it. Learning the hard way sucks. I've been riding on the streets now going on three years, and it's been an eye opener. I said once that riding is a sport...Twilight corrected me and said "riding is a way of life". Ride around unprotected... and your life can be seriously effected. Sure protective gear is cumbersome but I choose to wear it. I would enjoy riding around in tennis shoes, jeans and a Tshirt but it's not safe. To all you young guys... Listen to your elders!!! my boys and I kinda laugh now when I say "you just don't F^*king listen".

Have you ever had an accident where protective gear would have saved you?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I have been saying this to my boys for awhile now. It's not that they can't afford it, it's that they choose not to wear it. Learning the hard way sucks. I've been riding on the streets now going on three years, and it's been an eye opener. I said once that riding is a sport...Twilight corrected me and said "riding is a way of life". Ride around unprotected... and your life can be seriously effected. Sure protective gear is cumbersome but I choose to wear it. I would enjoy riding around in tennis shoes, jeans and a Tshirt but it's not safe. To all you young guys... Listen to your elders!!! my boys and I kinda laugh now when I say "you just don't F^*king listen".

Have you ever had an accident where protective gear would have saved you?
Not sure because I have had mine on every time I have dirt napped my bike. 3 times now I believe.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Hit a boulder at 40 mph and went over the handle bars and had road rash on both my elbows. Went to ER and had an unhappy nurse clean my wounds.
That hurt more than the original crash. Have worn all the gear since then.

A few years later went over a drop off and landed on my back with the bike on top of me. The back protector was crushed and cracked, but my back was intact.

You never know when you will need it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I seem to notice lots of people riding wearing proper gear on the top half helmets/jackets/gloves .... then a set of jeans and sneakers. :confused:

We had a contributing member on another forum get in a bad wreck back in 2011. The guy involved in the 2011 wreck "hangster" was wearing steel toe work boots and had his foot crushed between the engine case and the bumper of a vehicle. After months of rehab and surgery they eventually amputated his foot ..... and the thread itself and the life changing consequences were a eye opener for me.

Up until this point I was a avid "work boots will do" rider, since growing up that was what my father made me wear on the dirt bikes. That said a steel toe high ankle work boot doesn't offer the proper ankle protection and support required for you foot to survive a bad wreck/crash ..... if you don't believe me click on the link and scroll through the pics.

GRAPHIC PICS ..... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

crashed , hospital 2 weeks now - Page 2 - Wrist Twisters

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
After 30+ years of off-road racing I've had the chance to product test many idem's of protective clothing. Helmets have saved my life three times I can remember and body armor has kept me from more serious injury too many to remember. Even with all the gear I've broken bones,gotten sprains,cracked ribs and scattered brains but I'm still here. If I was not A.G.A.T.T. who knows?

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I seem to notice lots of people riding wearing proper gear on the top half helmets/jackets/gloves .... then a set of jeans and sneakers. :confused:

We had a contributing member on another forum get in a bad wreck back in 2011. The guy involved in the 2011 wreck "hangster" was wearing steel toe work boots and had his foot crushed between the engine case and the bumper of a vehicle. After months of rehab and surgery they eventually amputated his foot ..... and the thread itself and the life changing consequences were a eye opener for me.

Up until this point I was a avid "work boots will do" rider, since growing up that was what my father made me wear on the dirt bikes. That said a steel toe high ankle work boot doesn't offer the proper ankle protection and support required for you foot to survive a bad wreck/crash ..... if you don't believe me click on the link and scroll through the pics.

GRAPHIC PICS ..... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

crashed , hospital 2 weeks now - Page 2 - Wrist Twisters
My son hit a deer three weeks ago and he out of work for at
Least 6 months. He was wearing his work boots and broke his foot. I hate to say this but I told him not to wear them riding. He said they would be fine and of course he left his motorcycle boots at home. He also dislocated his shoulder, on a scale of 1-5 it was a 5.
He's now riding a power chair.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Was hit years ago on my CBR1000 in winter time. I was stopped at a light behind traffic, I had leather jacket and jeans, gloves, work boots, gloves, n helmet. Guy just plainly ran into me from behind, sending me air born, bike 1000 pieces, hit his windshield, smashed that, he stopped and I rolled off and hit a van in front of me in the rear, stood up to see the car take off the other way, prolly drugs or warrents more then likely. Only had minor shoulder swelling where I busted his windshield with my shoulder. GLAD... I had that gear on for sure. My helmet was cracked from hitting the van in front of me, small road rash on hip. WEAR... gear kids please......

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I feel the Angels of God must be watching over me, I've never been in an accident in over 50 years.

How many decades did I go without wearing nothing? A few.

Nowadays, no way. Maybe I value my life more now or I am just smarter than I used to be, I don't know, probably the first one.

Plus, I've lived in enough pain already. I don't need any more brought on by my own stupidity.

I wear a helmet, gloves and a jacket bare minimum. I would wear also at least kevlar reinforced levis, but they don't have them in "my" size and haven't for many a year. If I can ever reach that size, I will get some and also some real armored pants for the road.

I will admit though, once or twice a year, on the hottest few days of the year, I may ride 2 or 3 blocks on side streets to the nearest hamburger joint for a ice cold ice cream cone, chocolate or mixed usually.

On those days, I wear a helmet and gloves and leave the jacket at home. And, I don't even hardly hit 20mph, not that that is an excuse, it's not.

I've been pretty fortunate and only tipped over two bikes too. Once when I was riding on a 30 or so degreed road and had to make an emergency stop (probably only going 5mph too) when a guy shot over the top of the hill and headed down past me as I was trying to pull out and turn down the hill too. Yes, I looked once, twice, three times and started to make my turn and made "my always; one more look, just in case" as I was actually pulling out and here he came. I hit the brakes, but I was already turning left slowly and then with the weight of the bike on that side and my emergency stop, my left foot didn't reach the ground for a bit of distance and when it did, the 600 lb pig I was riding fell over, I couldn't hold it up.

Felt like a dork, me on the ground, the bike laying downward on the tank side, gas going all over. I had to pick it up immediately because of the gas and traffic was behind me and what an ordeal. My feet were slipping in the gas and I did get it up, but then couldn't brake it and balance it as I struggled to get around to the higher other side and mount it. Finally got it though after all using a different method.

Second time was on the TW when I was about to go riding with a couple Harley friends and while they were warming up those cold blooded Sportsters, I decided to slowly putt putt putt around in front of them into a huge mud puddle from rain the night before, goose it and drop the clutch and spray muddy water all over them.

Well, guess what happens when you try to show off...I should have known better. I did in fact; but continued to putt putt putt innocently around in front of them anyway. Well I got in the middle of the puddle, stopped, standing up on the pegs, goosed it and dumped the clutch. Well, I hadn't warmed up my bike either, but it had gladly started and acted like it was ready to instantly obey my every command, but it went Blaaaah... instead; and died when I whipped open the throttle. I went to put my feet on the ground right away, even though I was in the middle of a huge puddle; what choice did I have? None.

As I did though, my pant leg got caught on the stupid narrow foot peg of the TW and over we went in slow motion; making a huge splash in the mud puddle.

I looked like an ice cream cone half dipped in chocolate mud, one half of my body from almost head to toe. O, you should have heard them laugh.

I deserved it too. Showing off. Next time, I'll be SURE to warm up the bike though...he he. O wait, we're talking about "learning lessons" here though, right?

I did actually crash a bike though, once, when I was just a young pup of 13 or 14. I convinced a friend of my vast experience with bikes and talked him into riding his brand new Yamaha or Suzuki 175?? that his Dad had just bought him; that he had sneaked out without permission and come to show us. Well, we were up on the school grounds baseball field and I noticed the pitcher's mound, and of course wanting to show my skills, headed off as fast as I could towards it to jump it.

We had no sooner executed the maneuver (the bike and I) when I noticed the solid wood backboard headed my way or was it the other way around?, and HAD to lay it down or slam into it. I basically jumped off and the bike hit the backboard crashing into it at at least 25 mph and destroyed it. I had bent the handlebars, one side, almost hanging by a thread, the mirror also almost sheered off and hanging and a hole punched into the crankcase by the shifter pedal.

I tried to convince the kid that his bike was just fine, but I don't think he believed me. Later on, he and his Dad showed up at my door wanting to talk to my father. It didn't go well and I ended up doing quite a bit of side work to pay for the damages. Also, that kid was never allowed to hang out with me again. Funny..must be some kind of a coincidence as I've heard that before a few times in my earlier life.

Anyway, the two things I have learned with riding bikes that have helped me the most is:

Don't ride any faster than, you can stop; within the distance, you can see.

And always look, once, twice, three times and then just one more time as you execute your maneuver.

Just those two things have saved my bacon many times.

*** Ok, now I am wanting to hear about Mike's flying off a cliff. Don't remember hearing that one before and I want to hear it!!! :D

God Bless you brothers and sisters out there and be careful. ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
On September 12 2012 at 9ish PM I was traveling streight threw a intersection on a green light green light. A driver heading the opposite direction and making a left at said intersection "didn't see me" and collided with me. I suffered numerous injuries with the worst being a open compound fracture of my left tib and fib (aka bones outa the leg and very little left attaching foot to upper leg). My right leg was ripped open to bone, I injured my left shoulder and had a bit of road rash on my back. I also was knocked out and have no recollection of 15mins or so before up till the actual incident. My memory of the incident begins from coming too on the highway with a bunch of people around me trying to hold me down. I honestly thought I was having a bad dream it was all confusing and I felt no pain up to the point of finally fighting off the people holding me down and sat up. That's when I first seen my leg and blood, the sudden rush of pain and realization hit me. I laid back down and drifted in and out of it till the paramedics arrived.

It took over a year to walk again. 5 surgeries on my leg and three close calls of loosing it too infection. I had a pump hooked up to my veins pumping antibiotics to my heart for 3 months. I did not have enuff tissue or skin left to close the wound on my leg. So it was bandaged and redressed daily for almost 6 months. I was off work for 1 year and 3 months as I'm a diesel mechanic by trade. I used every dime of my savings keeping my house despite my insurance coverage and our Canadian health care (I didn't pay a dime for my medical care. But bills don't stop just because your hurt and my insurance only paid me 50% of my normal income).

I still walk with a limp my one legs an inch short and I can't rotate my ankle all that much. I can't run and am limited on my ability to lift or crouch. I often fall and trip as my foot is not exactly connected streight and I have next too no ability to turn my foot inwards (makes shifting gears on my bikes difficult)

At the time of my accident I was wearing a full face helmet and my work coveralls and work boots (I was just out for lunch no reason to gear up right :-(

Had I been fully geared I'd of likely still broke my leg. But I may have escaped the infection and gashes. It may have been a closed fracture and I may have been better off today. I may have even been back to work in the normal 6 months. And I'd have Likly only needed one surgery.

So yes I completely agree. GEAR UP or take a bloody car.

Me I'm happy I here I happy I have two legs and I'm happy I can still do most the things I love. I even seem to have a better more calm out look on most things and am in some ways a better person. But I do wish I was smarter back then and I wish that lady was more attentive.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
When I had a customer that did not wear a helmet I'd ask them to take a little test. Pulling out a helmet and fork tube I'd explain it. You put the helmet on and I'll hit you over the head. Next take the helmet off and I'll do it again. You will then tell me when it hurt more. For some reason no one took me up on it. Also on a side note I think the wife and I are the only Harley riders in South Florida that wear padded jackets.

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
To the OP – show your kids this thread .......

Practised my “horizontal parking” mostly off-road in my early teens, graduated to some “bone crunchers” after that, but for the most part, I understood the ATGATT ethic by then, and little would have helped. The vast majority of some of my more – how to put this – “spectacular” crashes, came as a result of riding in heavy traffic. But I learnt from each one, and came through it all in one piece.

‘Cept that now I have a crooked shoulder, resulting in a twisted spine, more scar tissue than I care to think about, and sometimes I have a problem getting my left foot into some shoes or boots – (don’t ask).

Have I any regrets ? – hell no – could have been worse, and for a few of my friends ........ it has been.

Lucky ? – maybe – “tough as nails” – it does help – but “road savvy” has a lot more to do with it, as I said before, if you make a mistake on a bike, should you survive, you sure as hell better learn from that mistake. If you can “read” other drivers before they even act, you stand a chance – brake before he’s even made up his mind if he’s going to turn left or right, “sense” what someone’s going to do before it happens.

No-one can teach you that – it comes with experience – but it’s kept me alive more times than I care to think about.

The trouble is, that teen-agers don’t understand that, they believe that they’ll just bounce back up every time – until fate decides how hard to slap them in the face.

In built up areas, I often see teens with a smart phone glued to their faces – it’s the same thing – concentrating on having fun at the expense of being aware of the environment they’re in. They’re kids - don’t know any better – same as me when I started riding.

But when I see a “young adult” – probably in his 20’s, riding a sports bike in flip flops, shorts and a tee-shirt with no gloves pulling wheelies down the highway on youtube – I just laugh remorselessly at the inevitability of it all. Last one I saw hit a deer - testosterone driven stupidity.

You grow up fast on a bike – or you don’t grow up at all.

As you get older, it makes you think – the kids we sent off to war with little or no training – same sort of thing but without the grin factor.

As the older generation, we owe it to the next generation to make them aware of what they’re up against when riding bikes. Show them the pics, show them the funerals, and show them that it doesn’t have to be their mistake that makes this happen. Too late for me, but I survived – but maybe for someone else it will mean their kid picks up the helmet on the way out of the house.

For those of you who have risked all in defence of your country – I thank you for your service.

To those of you who go out there on a bike with no gear – selfish, and stupid. I hope you make it, I really do, but the odds are stacked against you ………

·
Registered
230 Posts
In other lifetimes I have raced flat track, road racing and motocross. Had serious get offs in all three and several trips to the hospital.

My high speed low side at Willow Springs made me a true believer. Went down at 100+ in spilled oil and slid on my a#$ for what seemed like forever. Wore through the first layer of leather and had a good start at going though the final layer before I stopped sliding (my leg was caught under the bike and dragged me in a shower of sparks). Felt like I was sitting on a hot stove! That was in 1970 and I've worn leather pants ever since. Currently wearing Alpinstars with armor in the knees and hips. On top an armored textile jacket. Found the leather best for bottom half and top half usually took impacts more than scrapes.

Me on my Norton actually staying upright :rolleyes:

norton.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
When I had a customer that did not wear a helmet I'd ask them to take a little test. Pulling out a helmet and fork tube I'd explain it. You put the helmet on and I'll hit you over the head. Next take the helmet off and I'll do it again. You will then tell me when it hurt more. For some reason no one took me up on it. Also on a side note I think the wife and I are the only Harley riders in South Florida that wear padded jackets.
It may have been you Xracer who mentioned this one time. I don't remember.

But anyway, someone mentioned one time about showing the importance of wearing a helmet and brought up an example.

The next time you are wondering about if you should wear your helmet or not, try this:

With no helmet on, and holding your hands behind your back, stand in one spot and fall forward and let yourself do a total faceplant. That is about 5 mph. Now think about that if you were going 50.... uh huh; better to wear one, wouldn't you agree? :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't even push my bikes out of the garage without putting my gloves on. I got the front wheel stuck in a sand filled abandoned railroad track going 5 MPH on a brand new HD without wearing gloves. I tried saving the bike which didn't work. 5 wrist casts later they were still picking sand out when changing to a new cast.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have had a few crashes, "get offs" and "ankle biters" where I know my gear saved me serious injury. I did have a friend hit a deer on a dirt road, was fully geared up. Went into a ditch. was unconscious for several hours, several broken ribs, destroyed his one week old XR250l (he was a lifelong rider, just picked it up for local commuting in "the woods"). He would have never survived without full motocross gear on. I was a new rider at the time and it made me realize how important it is to wear proper gear. I do sometimes still wear work boots and jeans around town (helmet, gloves, jacket too), but at least I know the risk. I need to add some dragin jeans and low MC boots for street riding. BTW, my son had never been on a bike without full gear. Just upgraded his chest protector, elbow guards and pants as he ups his speed pretty quickly in year 2 of riding.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It may have been you Xracer who mentioned this one time. I don't remember.

But anyway, someone mentioned one time about showing the importance of wearing a helmet and brought up an example.

The next time you are wondering about if you should wear your helmet or not, try this:

With no helmet on, and holding your hands behind your back, stand in one spot and fall forward and let yourself do a total faceplant. That is about 5 mph. Now think about that if you were going 50.... uh huh; better to wear one, wouldn't you agree? :D

Now that's an example that brings reality to the subject. Good one

1 - 20 of 26 Posts