TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the UK and recently bought a 1991 TW200 that has been imported from the US (only TW 125's were sold over here). It was sold as a non runner project and bought from an importer (online) so buyer beware etc. It looked like it had obvious bits missing lights, clocks etc but nothing that couldn't be swapped form the many 125's that we have over here, at least thats what I thought until I found that the CDI had been removed. My question is has anyone any experience of the ignitech standard non programmable system? I would like to get the bike up and running ASAP and don't particularly want to mess about with changing parameters etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,757 Posts
Welcome to the board …..

We have a member on here who runs a parts service from Germany – you can find his site here Google Translate

His user name is macbig2k1

There are a few CDI options listed on his site – including the Ignitech - but his advice is invaluable as to which one to use. I’d wait for him to turn up on this thread, or send a pm on here - or email him on the site itself. He knows his stuff ………

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Based on the feedback of my customers, I can recommend the IgniTech CDI's.

Which parts exactly do you need, to complete the bike?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully i wont need too much to get it running. Is the kickstart lever (or boss) shared with any other bikes. New ones are quite expensive and mine is pretty worn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've installed the basic Sparker DC-CDI (non-programmable) onto a '97 and it's running very well. Wiring was well explained by the ignitech guys through tech support emails. An excellent and reliable upgrade considering it doesn't rely on power coming from the coils.

·
Super Moderator
5,757 Posts
Cool - thanks for the update - good to know ......

Send me a PM if you are still looking for clocks (low mileage, Kph over Mph) - I have a front road tyre here as well .......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. i've bought the Ignitech but haven't installed it yet as I thought I'd straighten out the rest of the wiring first which is proving to be a bit fiddly (for me) as I'm using some switches and clocks from a 125 (I'd like an on / off option for the lights). Should everything work (other than spark) with the CDI not connected?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, I suspect that I have a problem with one or both of the ignition/starter circuit relays. A give away was a by pass wire in the back of one and the other barely lights my test lamp unless I by pass that as well. Are there alternatives to the original Sushita ones available (hopefully a bit cheaper!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone, I recently purchased two TWs and one had a bad CDI, I have made the Ignitech purchase and started to install (which all the wiring is very easy as everyone keeps saying).

But I am curious about what people have done to stabilize the unit/where they located it? Since the Ignitech is a bit bigger than stock, I am having trouble getting it to fit in the stock location in the same orientation (perpendicular to the frame of the bike).

I can make it fit pretty easily with it parallel to the frame, and kind of out towards the cover, but it seems to fit very loosely and would be flopping around on the trail.

Basically, I was just curious what setups people have done and which have the most stability/protection of the CDI.

Thanks much everyone, I must say...I am new to bikes larger than 80cc...and was easily able to determine that the CDI was the problem and diagnosed various other problems with my two bikes so far from the information gathered here, and love the forum!!

·
Super Moderator
18,536 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Where are you from? Sorry, I can't answer your questions, but someone will most likely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am from the midwest, living north of Spokane WA. Bought two TWs both are 1987, and one came with a parts bike (an 89 I think). One has the bad CDI and needs new foot pegs, and is kind of scuffed up $500, the other I have been riding since the day I bought it and is pretty damn nice, good plastics, tank, and frame...engine runs good but has a pretty loud ticking, and backfires a little bit. But I drove it up one of the mountains around here and it worked great! I'm super happy with both, once I get this CDI in and get the bike registered the girlfriend and I are looking to get our license and enjoy these goats! :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi everyone, I recently purchased two TWs and one had a bad CDI, I have made the Ignitech purchase and started to install (which all the wiring is very easy as everyone keeps saying).

But I am curious about what people have done to stabilize the unit/where they located it? Since the Ignitech is a bit bigger than stock, I am having trouble getting it to fit in the stock location in the same orientation (perpendicular to the frame of the bike).

I can make it fit pretty easily with it parallel to the frame, and kind of out towards the cover, but it seems to fit very loosely and would be flopping around on the trail.

Basically, I was just curious what setups people have done and which have the most stability/protection of the CDI.

Thanks much everyone, I must say...I am new to bikes larger than 80cc...and was easily able to determine that the CDI was the problem and diagnosed various other problems with my two bikes so far from the information gathered here, and love the forum!!
Zipties;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
zipties might work, although there isn't many places to tie them into under that side cover....I will be working on it today and hopefully will find a good solution. Any other feedback would be great but I will post my findings sometime after I get it figured out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
zipties might work, although there isn't many places to tie them into under that side cover....I will be working on it today and hopefully will find a good solution. Any other feedback would be great but I will post my findings sometime after I get it figured out.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,757 Posts
Never tried it - but ...........

Try a cut up mouse mat (neoprene) under it – then either cable ties as suggested, or even bungee (real tight) – between the two it will find where it wants to rest …………..

·
Registered
4 Posts
A combination of the two ideas mentioned above did the job.

I used a small piece of rubber mat about 1/8 inch thick and used some packing foam (1/4 inch) on top of that to give even more cushion.

Then I zip tied it to the relays...I should mention the CDI now sits on the outside of the relays and is parallel to the frame. I will get a picture soon.

One issue I am having is the bike dies after sitting at idle for a few seconds. I have been playing around with fuel stuff (since I am not positive the bike ran great before the new CDI) but was curious what you guys think of using the rear brake switch wire for the +12V switched source mentioned in the instructions?

Does this source fall off in power with the lights at low rpm's that could be causing the bike to stall? it seems to run great on the road, has plenty of power and will go go go as long as I keep on the throttle enough...

Any thoughts?

Thanks mucho!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts