TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, here's another question for ya...

The ignition switch on my bike is becoming cantankerous. Sometimes it wants to turn, other times it's a fierce battle and I fear the key might break if I force it too much. I just have to be patient and finesse it a bit before it will rotate to ON. I've sprayed it with WD-40, but all that does is allow the key to slide IN easier - doesn't do a thing for twisting from Off to On.

Any ideas what's going on or how to fix this?

Super Moderator
My 1997 ignition switch was the same. I tore it all apart (simple enough inside), cleaned it, added dielectric grease, reassembled. Its fine now.
First post and already helping members!!! Nice bro!! Hope you become a regular contributor!!

Welcome to the forum!! :D

Registered
Mine does that with the after market/generic key. Is it a brand new, just cut key? Try rotating it 180 and see if it does it.

Registered
A G S Company LE-5 Lock Lubricant-3OZ LOCK LUBRICANT - Walmart.com

Apply this every few months; let it sit for a few minutes after applying, then insert and remove the key several times and turn it on/off several times. Do this whole process twice. Also you are right to never force the key. Try wiggling the key with finesse like you said.

If you still have major issues (and it's not an issue with the key, like LT said), then you might need a new ignition switch...

Registered
Mine does that with the after market/generic key. Is it a brand new, just cut key? Try rotating it 180 and see if it does it.
If it is a just-cut, new key, then check it for rough edges and take a wire brush to it, or lightly brush it with fine sand paper.

Registered
Yep. That would have been my advice as well if it is a new cut key. My after market one works better if inserted one way versus 180 out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts