TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking for performance upgrades i havent come across any ignition system ones for our bikes. Im especially interested to hear if there are any coil upgrades or cdi upgrades.

This is a longshot but im also looking for an ignition module similar to an msd offroad for our bikes. The msd turns 1 spark into 4, firing the spark plug at every quarter stroke of the pistons. I threw one into a samurai once and it turned an erratic 1k rpm idle into a smooth 600. The msd ignition is for 4, 6, and 8 cylinder. Ive never heard of one for a single cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
5,159 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
the MSD does not fire every 1/4 stroke, that would simply not work. what it does is fire the plug 4 times instead of 1 but in extremely short time, micro seconds. for such a small low powered engine i doubt there is really any point in improving the spark. i can provide a DC powered CDI and that would likely improve idle conditions where the spark is weak because of slow magneto speed but it may not help at higher rpm where the mag is really putting out HV.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have a Black Ops Moto Ignition Coil to mount on my TW. I put one on my vintage 83 KX125 and 04 WR450 both with good results. The downside is they are over $200. Maybe closer to 250. The TW just isn't that kind of bike to be spending that much money for engine performance. I took the one off of my 450 when I sold it for this bike. I'll let you know how it works on it. I know it's only an ignition coil. But they must put some magic Pixies in there because both bikes really did run better with it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tombauer I had sent you a private message. Was wondering what the cost was for your CDI upgrade? I'd be interested in sending it to you this winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts