TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been one to purchase snake oil type products in the past.

But last week I became a 100% believer in Marvel Mystery Oil!

Imagine my surprize when I pulled both the heads of my 08 TW's last week to re-ring them

and found mine, somewhat dirty, scuffs in the cylinder, and a raised edge of deposits inside the

top of the cylinder, tan soot on the valves and generally looking like, well it had 6k miles on it!

But.....the wifes TW was a totally different story! the top of the piston looked like a new one that

someone had simply sprayed WD40 on it! Valves looked like new, cylinder looked flawless, no build up

around the top etc.

It honestly looked like it was just assembled with new parts! Even the edge of the piston wasn't brown!

Now before ya start in and tell me I rode mine harder, longer, or farther (had to get that one in)

"I" have been using these bikes to commute back and forth to work and adventure riding on the weekends.

They have been ridden exactly the same. The only difference has been a capfull of MMO per tank in her bike

at each fill up.

You can bet I'm buying stock in the stuff!

All my vehicles will use it from now on. I guess you could say seeing is believing.

IGOFAR

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
My grandfather used Marvel Mystery Oil. He learned about it from all the farmers he grew up with & worked for. Lots of farm equipment gets used for a couple of weeks a year, then sits for the rest of the time. MMO keeps the engines clean & ready to run. Little or no rust in the cylinders or in the crankcases, even when they've sat for a long time.

The ol' farmers would actually caution that you let a new engine break in before using it. When you use MMO it actually soaks into the metal, chemically changing the surface. You can see the color difference in engines that use it. It's a good idea to use it both in the fuel and in the crankcase oil to get the whole engine coated.

I use it on all my vehicles. When I had to take the heads off my '80 XS850 Special at 180,000 miles it was clean & looked almost new. All those miles & no valve shim changes needed. The dealer I bought it from couldn't believe it was the same bike.

In the TW I use MMO to top off when I change the oil. That puts about 0.2 quart per 1 quart of oil. I put it and Sea Foam in the fuel tank about every fifth or sixth tank full. It'll keep the tank from rusting out too.

P.S. soak your chain in it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Verrry interesting!

You hear these stories once in a while, and it gets you to thinking.

·
Registered
88 Posts
"they" say that standard ATF added to your oil will help clean the engine. i know if you have a hydraulic lifter going bad, adding atleast half of a quart of ATF to your oil will help clean the lifter out and possibly free it up. marvel mystery kind of reminds me of ATF in the color, although it seems thinner and you can add it to gas. anyone know what MMO is actually made of?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Naphthenic Hydrocarbons

Mineral Spirits

Chlorinated Hydrocarbons

Ortho-dichlorobenzene

p-dichlorobenzene

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ah the good old MMO. I usually don't believe in Snake Oils either , but have had good results with this product in the past. I added a quart when doing an oil change on a Subaru with chronic valve noise and by the second red light the noise was gone. Dumped a quart in an old 5th Ave and the lifters quieted down in a few minutes also.

I guess adding some to the tdub couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah the good old MMO. I usually don't believe in Snake Oils either , but have had good results with this product in the past. I added a quart when doing an oil change on a Subaru with chronic valve noise and by the second red light the noise was gone. Dumped a quart in an old 5th Ave and the lifters quieted down in a few minutes also.

I guess adding some to the tdub couldn't hurt.

I never thought of adding it to the motor oil. I wonder if it would damage our wet clutches?

Would it cause our clutch to slip?

Just thinking...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I never thought of adding it to the motor oil. I wonder if it would damage our wet clutches?

Would it cause our clutch to slip?

Just thinking...

No!! It is not the same as Slick 50. I've used MMO in every bike I've owned. Never had any problem with slipping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Been using it for years, I think my Grandfather turned me on to it for my Bike chain. Now I use it anywhere I can, even on guns.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Imagine my surprize when I pulled both the heads of my 08 TW's last week to re-ring them

and found mine, somewhat dirty, scuffs in the cylinder, and a raised edge of deposits inside the

top of the cylinder, tan soot on the valves and generally looking like, well it had 6k miles on it!

But.....the wifes TW was a totally different story! the top of the piston looked like a new one that

someone had simply sprayed WD40 on it! Valves looked like new, cylinder looked flawless, no build up

around the top etc.

It honestly looked like it was just assembled with new parts! Even the edge of the piston wasn't brown!

Now before ya start in and tell me I rode mine harder, longer, or farther (had to get that one in)

"I" have been using these bikes to commute back and forth to work and adventure riding on the weekends.

They have been ridden exactly the same. The only difference has been a capfull of MMO per tank in her bike

at each fill up.

All my vehicles will use it from now on. I guess you could say seeing is believing.

IGOFAR
6000 miles nd your having to re ring them? I've got nearly 20 000 on mine and haven't touched it. Why?

·
Registered
866 Posts

around the top etc.

at each fill up.

IGOFAR

My only question is, why did you use it in one and not the other? Was this a deliberate experiment?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Another perspective: Stuff like Bardahl, Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil claim they can make your engine run quieter and smoother, and reduce oil burning. These are products which contain solvents or detergents such as kerosene, naphthalene, xylene, acetone or isopropanol. If used properly, I suppose these products will strip off your Teflon and zinc protective coatings! But unless you have a really old and abused car, you probably have no need of stripping away sludge and deposits from your engine. Thus, you probably have no need for these wonder cleaners. If you overuse such products you can damage your engine by promoting metal to metal contact.

If you use a synthetic oil, such as Mobil 1, you are advised not to use any engine treatments or additives. Mobil claims that

The use of an engine oil additive is not recommended, either by Mobil or by virtually any vehicle manufacturer. In fact, it may void your new-car warranty.

·
Registered
240 Posts
And this: My dad, who knew more about cars and engines that anyone I ever knew, swore by the benefits of Marvel Mystery Oil. He always poured MMO in the crankcase at each oil change and sometimes put it in the gas tank. His cars always made it to 200,000 miles. Will Marvel Mystery Oil harm a modern engine? My 1997 Ford Ranger has developed an occasional noisy lifter problem that the dealer can't replicate. Harking back to my dad's experience, I'm tempted to dump a can of MMO in the tank and crankcase, but one of the dealer's mechanics said he wouldn't do it because the factory recommends against additives. There's nothing in the manual about additives. What do you think? -- Les

Ray: Marvel Mystery Oil is kind of like chicken soup, Les. It probably won't help, but it can't hurt.

Tom: The reason most manufacturers make a blanket recommendation against additives is because there are too many to keep track of. There are thousands of additives on the market these days. Several of them probably even contain chicken soup.

Ray: Most of them, like MMO, probably won't hurt your car, but it's impossible for the manufacturers to test them all. So they play it safe and don't recommend any of them.

Tom: And I doubt the MMO will solve your lifter problem, which could be caused by low oil pressure. So have your oil pressure tested. The lifter could also be leaking down, which is common these days with self-adjusting lifters. A lot of them are just not "beefy" enough by design, in my opinion.

Ray: But feel free to try MMO. And if that doesn't work, try some Haley's M-O. My brother puts that in his '63 Dodge Dart. It doesn't do anything for his lifters either, but the car is incredibly regular.

© 1999 by Tom and Ray Magliozzi and Doug Berman Distributed by King Features Syndicate, Inc.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I had no idea that Clorox owns STP

Stp Oil Treatment..... Refined Mineral Oils 80-100%

Zinc Compounds 1 - 5%

StP Injector & Carb Treatment

Petroleum Distillates 75-100%

Trimethylbenzenes 0-10

Naphthalene 0-2

Petroleum Oils 5-10

Non-Hazardous Ingredients

Greater Than 1%

Proprietary Additive 1-7%

·
Registered
240 Posts
Years ago, as a kid clearly dumber than average, I figured if some STP oil treatment was good, then more was better. I filled the crankcase of my Honda CB-160 with the stuff! I remember wondering why it ran so poorly. What's the weight of STP? Must be 100 W or more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts