TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Son graduated High School last week....keeping up the family tradition of a rifle for the accomplishment....
Howa in .22-250Rem....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
The most accurate "out of the box" rifle I have ever had the pleasure to own/shoot was a Howa 1500 in .308. The action was soooo tight that I found a hundred rounds of South African NATO ammo just to shoot through it to loosen it up. A thorough cleaning and lube afterwards and I was shooting .7 inch groups from a sandbag.............. at 140 yards! Wonderful gift and congratulations on raising a stand-up child.

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Yup, Tack Driver in the right hands and good caliber to reach out and touch varmints. Drill a hole in a few golf balls and tie strings to them to hang on limbs. When he can hit them at 100 yards he has the idea. My Remington 700 BDL in .223 is way more accurate than I am these days but I do still hit a couple off the Lead Sled bench rest. Chores around the house buys bullets and if he has to work to shoot it makes for a good combo.

Oh Yea, you are cool as a member here so being a cool dad comes with the territory.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Wow, that's nice.
Would you like to temporarily adopt me? Class of 1973.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I too have a couple of Howa's. Both projects of my son's while attending gunsmith school. He bought Howa actions and built from there. Mine is .243 with a heavy barrel and a custom walnut stock. His is also .243 but with a bull barrel and a Tom Manner carbon fiber thumb hole stock that he built while working for Tom. His target of choice was also a suspended golf or tennis ball at 200 yards. From the time he was 5 when I first introduced him to shooting he was always an excellent marksman.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The idea with suspended balls is just that practice makes perfect. Anyone with a decent scope and gun can hit a paper target and feel like they did OK. When you can consistently slam a golf ball at 100 yards with a .22 caliber bullet you are then ready to go for a game animal that might be way out there. Just shooting at a live animal before you have the basics down to a science is Un-sportsman IMO.

I hunt white tail deer here in NY and in heavy woods. Most of the shots are well under 100 yards. The standard practice is to aim for just behind the front shoulder where the heart and lungs are. Big deal! Any hunter should be able to hit a target the size of a dinner plate. I don't hunt for horns, just for meat. My shots aim for the ear and the deer don't go anywhere but down. You don't need a big magnum caliber gun and you don't ruin any meat if you go for the instant kill shot and if you miss you probably don't harm the animal or leave it wounded to run off and die where you can't find it. If you can hit a golf ball you can scramble brains.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Very nice. I would also line up to be your adopted son, but I'm probably a few years older than you. I'm sixty seven and counting. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts