TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a package fron Procycle today, was so excited! Tore into it, and...

Jet kit - Check!
90* fuel filters - Check!
47 tooth rear sprocket - Check!
14 tooth countershaft sprocket - Ch...wait, what?!

I was absolutely sure I had ordered a 15 tooth :(
Checked what it would cost to get one shipped by itself- $15.00 part, $52.00 shipping, and then duty on top. SMH. The entire reason I waited until I had a decent list of things.
To get one locally, for some reason, is going to take 8-10 weeks.:mad:

Sorry, just needed to vent.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Bummer...!

·
Registered
230 Posts
before you send one back you may want to check the gear ratio charts from this post: http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/18428-front-rear-sprocket-size-change-effects.html

instead of a 15/47 you may want to go 15/50 or 14/47.

Keep in mind if your going to periodically change gearing it's easier to change the rear sprocket than the countershaft sprocket. Then you could send the 15 countershaft sprocket back and get a second rear sprocket giving you three gearing options.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
before you send one back you may want to check the gear ratio charts from this post: http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/18428-front-rear-sprocket-size-change-effects.html

instead of a 15/47 you may want to go 15/50 or 14/47.

Keep in mind if your going to periodically change gearing it's easier to change the rear sprocket than the countershaft sprocket. Then you could send the 15 countershaft sprocket back and get a second rear sprocket giving you three gearing options.
No, I'm not sending anything back. I'm running 14/47 now, changed the rear sprocket last year after running stock for a few hundred kms. Now I've put almost 9000 kms on that, and I'm convinced I could go 15/47. I suppose I could try and get a 45 rear. More options via changing the rear was the goal, I figured with a 15 up front, I could change the rear to almost anything in 1/2 an hour.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How the heck does it add up to $52 shipping? That is a lot!!!!.
Because Canada is greedy as F*SK when it comes to anything crossing that border. They added stupidly high fees on musicians coming to play here, so only the big, arena packing acts can afford to do it. None of the people I like, that play small venues, have performed this side of the border for years. GRRR, now you've got me all wound up! lol

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
No, I'm not sending anything back. I'm running 14/47 now, changed the rear sprocket last year after running stock for a few hundred kms. Now I've put almost 9000 kms on that, and I'm convinced I could go 15/47. I suppose I could try and get a 45 rear. More options via changing the rear was the goal, I figured with a 15 up front, I could change the rear to almost anything in 1/2 an hour.
the 15 on the front is a big deal for you as all the highway riding you do. I put a 15 on this winter and it smoothed out the bike nicely, I was impressed, don't compensate with a 45 rear, it won't be the same. check you order with procycle, maybe they screwed up

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
check you order with procycle, maybe they screwed up
That may be the case, but it is still on me, I went back and checked the confirmation e-mail they sent after I ordered and it lists a 14. If I had actually checked it carefully then, I could likely have changed it. As it is, mea culpa.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not trying to talk you into anything, just trying to be helpful. Here are the gear ratios if you add a 44 to your collection:

sprockets - final gear ratio
15/47 - 3.13
15/50 - 3.33

14/44 - 3.14
14/47 - 3.36
14/50 - 3.57

Add a 44 to your collection and you get a low that's close to the 15 with two extra options.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not trying to talk you into anything, just trying to be helpful. Here are the gear ratios if you add a 44 to your collection:

sprockets - final gear ratio
15/47 - 3.13
15/50 - 3.33

14/44 - 3.14
14/47 - 3.36
14/50 - 3.57

Add a 44 to your collection and you get a low that's close to the 15 with two extra options.

Just a suggestion.
Oh no, I appreciate all the input, thank you. I was just saying that in addition to the numbers, I had done extensive 'butt dyno' research, and decided that a 15 up front would give me a range that suited my particular style of riding. Please feel free to continue sharing any insights you may have, I am always hungry for a tidbit I may have overlooked!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Considering weight and all I am going to a 15/55. I figure it will slightly gear it down just a tad and give my roller chain a bit more life. As I have the case off now with the stator/pickup, I just as well make the change. It will still cruise ok on secondary roads and have that little extra grunt in low.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Got a package fron Procycle today, was so excited! Tore into it, and...

Jet kit - Check!
90* fuel filters - Check!
47 tooth rear sprocket - Check!
14 tooth countershaft sprocket - Ch...wait, what?!

I was absolutely sure I had ordered a 15 tooth :(
Checked what it would cost to get one shipped by itself- $15.00 part, $52.00 shipping, and then duty on top. SMH. The entire reason I waited until I had a decent list of things.
To get one locally, for some reason, is going to take 8-10 weeks.:mad:

Sorry, just needed to vent.
Sometimes we call that a 1D 10 T error code?

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
I see one other important thing you might have forgotten. Changing the front sprocket requires the removal of the left side case and I would absolutely want a fresh side cover gasket on hand just in case. Sometimes they come off in tact and other times they don't.

GaryL

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see one other important thing you might have forgotten. Changing the front sprocket requires the removal of the left side case and I would absolutely want a fresh side cover gasket on hand just in case. Sometimes they come off in tact and other times they don't.

GaryL
Thanks Gary, I already have one, also have all new oil seals. I've been planning this for a while, the crankshaft sprocket was (is) the last thing on the list.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Thanks Gary, I already have one, also have all new oil seals. I've been planning this for a while, the crankshaft sprocket was (is) the last thing on the list.
I guess I never saw this asked before but don't you have Yamaha dealers up in the great white north? All of these taxes and shipping woes crossing the borders sure would wear on me and I would seek a dealer willing to work with me already in the country.

Long ago I had a rather bad experience with customs while selling a vintage stereo receiver. Apparently your customs officials opened the box and actually removed the wood case cover of the receiver to check for drugs or contraband. They did not put the cover back on right and in tightening the screws they cracked the wood case in 2 places. Then they left to remaining 2 screws off and sent it on to the buyer broken. I refuse to ship anything across the northern boarder since. I deal with from Canada at the big gun show in Rochester, NY who makes some of the finest gun stocks I have ever bought. He refuses to ship them and instead he brings them with him to the show and can mail them while here or I go pick them up at the show. I have heard way too many horror stories where Customs Officials screw things up while doing their job half assed.

GaryL

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And brother Littletommy comes to the rescue! Thank you so much man, you've gone above & beyond.

Someone who knows Lt personally needs to get in touch with me via pm. Please.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
And brother Littletommy comes to the rescue! Thank you so much man, you've gone above & beyond.

Someone who knows Lt personally needs to get in touch with me via pm. Please.
Haven't heard from a single soul, have you? ha ha ha
There are verrrrry few people around here who really know me. ;) :D

·
Registered
548 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts