TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy protective jacket, pants and maybe gloves, and boots. Would be nice if it had the removable elbow/knee pads. I'm not familiar with brands and styles so any advice would be welcomed.

What I am wearing now: Gmax Modular Helmet, Carhart jacket or a nylong ski jacket, BDU Ripstop Nylon pants, walmart MX style gloves, leather work boots. I know it is insufficient. Also without venting it gets pretty hot.

Most of my road riding is paved back roads deer would be my biggest concern. I've been on dirt but this is my first summer of riding on the road. I know if I laid it down on pavement with my current gear I'd have a bad day.

Also if anyone has gear they would sell, let me know. I can fit mens large but XL is better. 38/32 pants size 12 boots.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I've owned two Tourmaster jackets (but be aware that they come in different weights affecting weight, warmth, and perhaps durability when sliding down the road), I'm sure many others are just as good. I'd stress buying visible colors for safety unless you are biased toward black for ethereal reasons. A high vis vest over that black jacket might be just as good and more flexible to be used in combo with other weights of clothing. Yes protection is good. Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good morning.

There are lots of reasons to buy gear and lots of choices. Style, level of protection, and price are all factors in buying riding apparel. I'm sure there are a few other members who can also help but I'd be glad to offer some suggestions with good pricing and free shipping. I have a promo code set up for forum members. Let me know if you're interested or just shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email. I'm here because I ride a TW, not because I want to sell product, but I'm glad to help if you ask.

Snoop

·
Registered
206 Posts
I too was looking for riding gear. I found reveille.com has many videos on each item and they give the pros and cons as well. Awaiting my order to arrive, jacket, gloves, helmet and waterproof backpack. Customer support has Ben awesome so far.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Check out www.leatherup.com. I have an armoured leather jacket that I bought from them for under $100 five years ago and is still in excellent shape. I wear it as my winter jacket (on the two days of winter we have in SE Texas) and it's seen a few thousand miles of riding. It's good heavy, real leather.

Also have gloves, a mesh jacket and a few other odd and ends from there. It's all good quality stuff, and very inexpensive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice Guys. I am leaning towards the high visibility armored Jackets. Some contracts I work on are for the Military and IIRC they required high visibility jackets to ride your bike onto the base.

Snoop, what store are you referring too? Can you give me the website so I can check it out?

What do you guys think about boots? I have had a previous ankle injury it does not take much to sprain that foot now.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Revzilla.com is pretty great for gear reviews, and they have a dual sport/ADV section for gear. Tourmaster is decently priced with gear that isn't terrible, so you might find something you like with them. I've got one of their jackets and a pair of pants from them. Removable waterproof and quilted liners, pretty handy. For road riding you can find just as much stuff. You'll want some boots that are tough, but not too crazy. I've found that a stiff boot that protects your ankle will just transfer the motion to your knee if there's a twist involved, but that usually happens in MX racing.

There's hours of gear differences to talk about, but head over to Revzilla and see for yourself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone have thoughts on the Xelements brand? Looks like I could get matching high visibility jacket /pants/ boots with armor in the knee,elbow,shoulder and back for a little under $200.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on the Xelements brand? Looks like I could get matching high visibility jacket /pants/ boots with armor in the knee,elbow,shoulder and back for a little under $200.

I avoided them. Read reviews from people that ride regularly. The build quality is supposedly low.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can check out my website, Perfmoto.com. I can send you a promo code for 10% off your purchase but I can't post it due to advertising policies. I have plenty of options but gear is a personal preference. We also own the Dainese D-store in Chicago, but I just wear a hi-vis Castle jacket because it was priced well and has waterproof layers and basic elbow/shoulder protection. I appreciate quality but tend to change gear frequently so I don't buy a lot of big-dollar gear (my Michigan body also doesn't fit in Italian leather very well). I've held a lot of apparel in my hands and have my own opinions about who makes good stuff and who makes garbage. However, it's your money and you need to find some stuff that appeals to you in your price range. Look at the site and tell me what interests you. I'll be glad to share my opinion if you ask. If you don't like it, you can send it back for refund or exchange. No restock fee and I'll pay to ship the exchange to you.

Snoop

Edit: My apologies to the forum. I appreciate all of you for the knowledge I have gained about my Dub. I've tried to keep a low profile but I am glad to help with parts and gear. I may not be as experienced with the TW200 as many of the Advanced Members, but I'm glad to share my product experience with whomever asks. I promise not to abuse the priviledge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks snoop I'll check it out. I asked for your advice and your website so I THINK it is OK. The local shop here the guys really up sell and push which is too bad I'd much prefer to try it out first hand. Nice to know you are fair with exchanges.

·
Registered
976 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that fit is a lot more important with protective clothing than it is with regular street clothes. Loose fitting jackets and pants won't keep the armor where it needs to be in the actual event of a crash. Different brands and different styles all fit a little differently, so personally I like to be able to actually try on riding gear before I buy it to make sure it fits me well.

I know you said the sales guys at your local gear shop are kind of pushy, but there's nothing wrong with going there and just sort of ignoring the crap falling out of their mouths while you try on a few jackets. That's usually my strategy with salesmen like that. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Snoopaloop, I can't speak for the forum, but from my personal perspective you can't be accused of making any commercial pitches. Its nice to have folks in the business, participate as informants and contribute insider info or at least objective objectivity. So I guess I'm saying don't apologize or hide your light under a basket. He who admits to his biases or (potential biases) is being most helpful to those who might hear him/her speak. Ride On. Tom

·
Registered
3,431 Posts

I got some leathers from them. (Leatherup) Quality is mediocre, they are coming apart after one year. The stuff I like the most is Olympia....very versatile, very well made, not outrageously expensive. I have a summer mesh jacket and pants (60 to 95 degrees) and a winter, waterproof heavy jacket and pants (35 to 75 degrees). Lots of choices at Revzilla.com.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Tellico Outfitters has some very nice stuff and I've found them to be honest and up front about the gear they carry.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help guys. I"m going to give the local shops another go . There is actually a couple local shops I did not even know about that sell used bikes and gear.

I think my riding season is done(on road anyway) I almost got stuck out in rain/sleet yesterday. I knew the weather was changing this week I wanted make one last 90 mile ride around a big lake here but I turned around half way due to weather. Still a beautiful drive up and down the same side of the lake.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Expensive,yes,but look at.......Motoport.The stuff should last 10's of thousands of miles.If your in a humid area I would definetly go with the mesh jacket......the stretch kevlar pants do well in the humidity though..............I'm currently saving for a mesh jacket for the humid Ohio valley.............my stretch kevlar jacket is a little to hot for this humidity.Now, if your in a dry area....then go with the stretch kevlar...to keep the dry air from sucking even more fluid from your system!;the stretch also keeps from getting wind abrasion.....great equipment!!!!.

·
Registered
453 Posts
well over here in hot and humid hong kong, I've been swearing by Dainese mesh jackets. and draggin kevlar jeans... dainese leather boots. I also wear "titan" kneepads which strap on either under or over trousers...

about 3 or 4 years ago I had a momentary lapse..- and "tested" the gear out - hit the other side of the road at about 50 mph... the impact almost cracked my snell rated helmet!

I may have blacked out briefly - but I was able to stand albeit painfully moments later - and limped out of the hospital just hours later.. bruised yes - bleeding no, and no broken bones..

I would totally recomend wearing strap on knee pads - mine were under my kevlar jeans..... completely saved my knees!

I will never get on a bike without the gear on!

·
Registered
59 Posts
When looking at gear that very well may save my life and keep my wife from being a widow, I always remember the adage, "I'm too poor to be cheap."

You can buy inexpensive gear, but it will either fail on you, or you'll wind up replacing it with something of decent quality and simply accrue more junk in the process.

·
Registered
187 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that fit is a lot more important with protective clothing than it is with regular street clothes. Loose fitting jackets and pants won't keep the armor where it needs to be in the actual event of a crash. Different brands and different styles all fit a little differently, so personally I like to be able to actually try on riding gear before I buy it to make sure it fits me well.

I know you said the sales guys at your local gear shop are kind of pushy, but there's nothing wrong with going there and just sort of ignoring the crap falling out of their mouths while you try on a few jackets. That's usually my strategy with salesmen like that. Just my $0.02.

I couldn't agree more! I bought my "Tourmaster high visibility Transition 2" jacket brand new in a private sale. I went to a local shop and tried on the same size and model of jacket to make sure I liked the fit.. it was perfect.. I bought from the private seller and saved a bunch of money. I bought a pair of Triumph "Tornado" riding "jeans" (don't know how they call em jeans... they are motorcycle pants with all the armor and padding) from the local Triumph shop. I got the pants for "half price" due to it being the end of season here... but after investigating further I think what I actually paid is just a small discount on "regular price" from just about ANY reasonable vendor. For boots... I got a nice pair of zipped in the back motorcycle boots that fit PERFECT from a private sale I found on kijiji for CHEAP. The only thing I'm not real happy with is the colour of the boots... mostly black.. but with some red and white... kinda "Super Hero" looking boots LMAO! At least the pants mostly cover them while I ride

I ride street pretty much exclusively, the gear I picked up suits me perfectly so far. I still need to pick up some better gloves.. I'll let my family buy them for me for Xmas

z

1 - 20 of 22 Posts