TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You senior forum members probably tire of hearing the same topics repeated endlessly, but here goes:

Why do so many forum members dislike the stock front tire?

A forum search on "stock front tire" seemed to bring up practically every thread ever posted! I just couldn't read every thread that had some vague reference to the front tire.

Please throw this newbie a bone and educate me :)

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I'm not sure if it's the tire or just the weight of the front end.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, I was thinking the same thing. The stock front tire seems just fine on pavement, but just last week I got a chance to do a little more off road ridding. In lose stuff like sand and mud the front end wants to wash out really bad. I've read the sticky on front tire choices and am trying to decide between the Shinko 241 and 244.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Mine was the tire! But my TW is a 99 and most likely was original. It was old dry and wore out! I got the Shinko 244 in 5.10 and liked that it was quieter than stock less mirror vibration too. But wasn't happy with my handling. I lowered air pressure and was a little happier. I then got a different tire gauge and found my air pressure was still higher than I'd like. Lowered to 18psi per new gauge. I'm now very happy with it!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
It just plain sucks! It slips on grass or dirt and is less than confidence inspiring on pavement. Just wait until you decide to put something else on the front, you'll see... Read the posts and trust the advice, if anyone's happy with the stocker they'll be more than pleased when you change it. It's just one of those things some will have to experience to believe. BTW, I have a goldenboy and can lean the bike over just about to the pegs on the street with no issues.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
It is an okay tire for on the road, but when you want to take your Trailway... to the trail, it has poor traction off-road with a high tendency to wash out. A better front tire is simply the best modification you can make to this bike, and it won't cost much money. Like others have said, you may not realize how bad it is until you've gotten time on a better tire. The Shinko 244 & 241 models seem to be the most popular for dual-sporting use here. You can of course find more, or less aggressive options. There is a whole front tire thread that will talk about pretty much all of the choices for the TW.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Front tire is not great on pavement either. I've had mine wash on black top. It's ok when compared to tires from the 80s barely. There are such better choices out there, you should wear yours out and replace it with something else.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all who commented. Thanks to Irppcer for pointing me to the front tire thread sticky! Learned a lot there :)

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
You senior forum members probably tire of hearing the same topics repeated endlessly, but here goes:

Why do so many forum members dislike the stock front tire?

A forum search on "stock front tire" seemed to bring up practically every thread ever posted! I just couldn't read every thread that had some vague reference to the front tire.

Please throw this newbie a bone and educate me :)

Thank you!
the stock tire in dirt and sand will wash out fast and get you hurt. 20140423_175621 (1).jpg the first thing I changed on my new bike with 20 miles was the chain and the tire was changed at 50 miles and you can air the tire down for a better grip in the loose stuff. (click on the photo for a better view)

Reactions: Dave-o

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks zdiver1, is the shinko really that much taller than the stock tire as the photo implies?

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Thanks zdiver1, is the shinko really that much taller than the stock tire as the photo implies?
Yes if you get one many posts on how to rise the finder on small springs. also this was the easiest tire I have ever mounted it was like a bike tire. the tire on the left does not have air in is so it just might be taller.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes if you get one many posts on how to rise the finder on small springs. also this was the easiest tire I have ever mounted it was like a bike tire. the tire on the left does not have air in is so it just might be taller.
Sorry, zdiver1, not sure I understand. Is the Shinko 244 taller than stock, requiring a fender lift, or is it shorter?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Might have a higher profile. Mine fits with stock fender mount.
I had raised my fender with old tire. But lost my bolts and springs so I went back to stock.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts