TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local Yamaha dealer has started charging $2.00 per part for every ordered part to cover "freight costs"!! In other words, if I need 5 parts that aren't in stock, I'll have to pay an additional $10.00 on top of the parts prices. I might as well order it myself online and have it delivered to my door! Is this happening at the dealers you guys go to?

·
Registered
26 Posts
PCP Motorsports in South Sacramento adds no additional charges to their parts orders, and in most cases, prices are as low as you can find online. I suppose it has to do with how much ordering each dealer does from a particular manufacturer.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
As of my last order my local dealer isn't doing that. In fact most of their parts come in equal to or below online pricing.

What HAS changed is that awhile back Yamaha forced them to purge the info for anything over 10 years old from their computers and get rid of anything printed on paper such as shop manuals. Even thir mechanics have to go online for basic info.

Fortunately they still have a couple of REAL parts guys who can help me circumvent this stupidity or even just give me the freedom to rummage through their stock until I find what I need.

·
Registered
173 Posts
In a related issue, my local Yamaha dealer doesn't seem to stock anything for the TW. When I call to order, they want a deposit........I tell them if it's going to be that complicated, I'll order "On Line" and have it delivered to my door- that fixes that.
As for an order charge, there hasn't been one that comes in on a "Thursday stock order". OM

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parts are already marked up approx. 100% and then add another few bucks on top of it!

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Parts are already marked up approx. 100% and then add another few bucks on top of it!
"Wow" Things sure have changed. Back when I was slinging parts it was about 40 percent. Also during the slow season some dealers did charge a shipping fee. Unless they ordered above a certain dollar amount then they paid shipping. We used to give customers a choice. Wait for our stock order or if you want it sooner then we charged a few extra bucks to cover it. At most honest dealerships the profit margins are pretty slim. Just think Sears gets at least a 600 percent mark up and no one complains. I know this for a fact because a friend of mine works for the Sears warehouse and let me see an invoice.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Wow" Things sure have changed. Back when I was slinging parts it was about 40 percent. Also during the slow season some dealers did charge a shipping fee. Unless they ordered above a certain dollar amount then they paid shipping. We used to give customers a choice. Wait for our stock order or if you want it sooner then we charged a few extra bucks to cover it. At most honest dealerships the profit margins are pretty slim. Just think Sears gets at least a 600 percent mark up and no one complains. I know this for a fact because a friend of mine works for the Sears warehouse and let me see an invoice.
When I worked at a Yamaha dealership in the mid 80's, if dealer cost was $25.00, customer costs was $50.00. If it was a big dollar item, the mark up was a little less. I don't mind supporting the local dealer, but if I need a handful of parts, $2.00 a a part for every non-stock item seems ridiculous. I'm not talking about express delivery, just regular "it will be here in a week" parts.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
My local dealer does not stock any parts (other than simple demand items like chain parts) and for each order they charge a "special order" fee. So all orders are "special", go figure.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My dealer doesn't charge any extra over the 'retail price' you see online when searching parts prices. In fact, I think he undercharged me on the rubber intake manifold because he thought 55 dollars was too high so he sold it to me for cost.

I don't think Yamaha Corp is forcing the two dollar charge otherwise he would totally charge me for that since I have never bought a motorcycle there and I haven't met that VIP status that most shops require you to hit before treating you like a human being.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dealer doesn't charge any extra over the 'retail price' you see online when searching parts prices. In fact, I think he undercharged me on the rubber intake manifold because he thought 55 dollars was too high so he sold it to me for cost.

I don't think Yamaha Corp is forcing the two dollar charge otherwise he would totally charge me for that since I have never bought a motorcycle there and I haven't met that VIP status that most shops require you to hit before treating you like a human being.
It's not the Yamaha Corp., just the local dealership.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OP IDK where you are located, but it sounds like your shop is taking the customers for a ride. The shop might just be looking for a way to pull in a few more bucks during tuff times. IMO take your money elsewhere!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts