TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of taking apart a broken engine. I need JIS bits for my impact driver. It appears that I will need extensions as well. Does anyone know what I need and where I can buy them?
Rick

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have you covered and a PM is in your box.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
What you have to understand about Vessel and JIS is a bit confusing. JIS is Japanese Industrial Standard and it is a patented name brand. If you note at the Vessel site they say "Fits JIS".

The true name or type is "Cross Point" in the Vessel line. At Fastenal they don't have a clue when you ask for JIS drivers or bits but they do have and sell Cross Point bits but usually not in store stock.

A JIS or Cross Point works great in our standard Phillips head screws while a Phillips screw driver sucks in JIS head screws and always want to round the slots out.

At Vessel they do sell the standard Cross point bits that have the standard shank size of 6MM which is 1/4", the same as all the other standard screw driver bits like the Phillips ones. Cross points come in sizes just like Phillips, P1, P2 & P3 for small medium and large screws. When I bought mine from Vessel the Cross Point bits were only sold in packs of 10 or 12 so I bought a pack of each size, 1, 2, & 3. If this is still the case then I suggest a few guys get together and purchase a pack of each size and divide them up. I also dip each of the Cross Point bits in cold steel gun blue to blacken them so I can distinguish them from the regular Phillips bits I have.

Maybe a forum group buy of say 100 in each size would work except there are a number of variations in the shank type. Some have a round grove that locks it into your driver head with a ball indent while others have a notch and still others are just straight 6MM/1/4" with no notch or grove for a magnetic coupler. Anyone working on Japanese Motorcycles needs all three sizes of JIS or Cross Point screw drivers or bits so you might as well bite the bullet and buy what is necessary before you screw up all your screws with a Phillips head screw driver.

GaryL

·
Registered
159 Posts
GaryL,
Fascinating!
I found a number of places on line a couple of years back that sells individual Vessel screwdrivers as well as bits.
The one I ordered from was a tool company for Utillity companies as I recall.
I did not know that "Cross Point" was another name for "J.I.S."
Maybe that is why when I asked the local Snap-On and Cornwell tool guys that looked at me like I was nutz.
I couldn't understand for the LIFE of me why neither guy didn't know what I was asking about. Really? Nobody's ever asked them before for J.I.S. screwdrivers?!
One question, seems like I read somewhere that J.I.S. wasn't used any longer, stopped in the 70's or 80's?
And the fasteners have a "dot" to indicate it is a J.I.S fastener. I know OLD honda screws have that dot, but haven't seen them lately.
RicklesssS in Oregon

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
GaryL,
Fascinating!
I found a number of places on line a couple of years back that sells individual Vessel screwdrivers as well as bits.
The one I ordered from was a tool company for Utillity companies as I recall.
I did not know that "Cross Point" was another name for "J.I.S."
Maybe that is why when I asked the local Snap-On and Cornwell tool guys that looked at me like I was nutz.
I couldn't understand for the LIFE of me why neither guy didn't know what I was asking about. Really? Nobody's ever asked them before for J.I.S. screwdrivers?!
One question, seems like I read somewhere that J.I.S. wasn't used any longer, stopped in the 70's or 80's?
And the fasteners have a "dot" to indicate it is a J.I.S fastener. I know OLD honda screws have that dot, but haven't seen them lately.
RicklesssS in Oregon
With JIS fasteners the dot may or may not be there! There is no standard stating the dot is necessary but rest assured the JIS/Cross Point are still very much the standard in Japanese manufacturing.

GaryL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts