TW200 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
My biggest hurdles are always target fixation and being rigid.
I'm a mountain biker so I should know better but after a fall or when I'm tired I get stiff. A very small rock or rut can really toss your bike. If your stiff your going down. If you're loose 9/10 times you won't even notice it.

No idea how to completely rid oneself of target fixation, I have random bouts of it. Mid ride this wknd I caught a bad case. Had to have a talk with myself and I was fine. 1 hr later I'm mis-shifting and again have a talk with myself. Lol

·
Registered
19,417 Posts
Target fixation :icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft:

Since the bike tends to go where you are looking I always say "Look at the solution, not the problem".
So if you see a big rock, root, ditch or obstacle and want to crash into then by all means look at it. If you want to miss it however then take your eyes away and look for the smooth route around it. The bike will then co-operate.:D

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am not going to get better....I am going to get worse....so I will go slower and only ride the easy tracks....and enjoy every mile like it is my last...… it is near perfect riding now in the Northwest …. the spring rains have settled the dust and the forests are full of new life and a carpet of wildflowers and sparkling creeks..... with cool mornings and warm smokeless days... I hope to see you down the trail...cuz that is where I am....:)

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Much experience & wisdom, right here!

Target fixation :icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft:

Since the bike tends to go where you are looking I always say "Look at the solution, not the problem".
So if you see a big rock, root, ditch or obstacle and want to crash into then by all means look at it. If you want to miss it however then take your eyes away and look for the smooth route around it. The bike will then co-operate.:D

·
Registered
723 Posts
Practice. A lot of trial and error growing up making mistakes as I went. I find now it’s just practice. Getting out as much as you can.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The TW forum offers many group rides. A good way to get better riding skills is to go on one of these rides. Riders usually head out in groups of similar ability, but the groups welcome all riders and you can push yourself to try some harder terrain. You also get the experience of seeing how other riders "attack" different obstacles and you can ask questions on how to get through different obstacles. No rider is left behind so if you have difficulty at a spot either the group will manhandle your bike through or someone may offer to ride it through that section.
i'll second that. i found a lot of forgotten skills came awake trying to keep up with Leisure Time Larry, last year in Oregon

·
Registered
819 Posts
Practice. A lot of trial and error growing up making mistakes as I went. I find now it’s just practice. Getting out as much as you can.
This is the bbest answer. Just get out on your bike as much as you can. Skills develop very gradually and there arent any real shortcuts. Be patient with yourself and enjoy your time in the saddle and one day in the future you'll really realize how much better of a rider you are!

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts