TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not exactly. Sorry, but I wanted to get folks' attention. So, I had a discussion with both Steve and Daniel today of IMS Products, Inc. about the possibility of their making a 3 to 4 gallon gas tank for the TW200 at their Riverside, CA factory. If you don't know the company, they make ALL of their super quality parts in Southern California, and have pretty good reviews on their shift levers and foot pegs (just ordered those for myself). Steve was interested in the idea and felt that the timing might be good for this discussion as "there's been a lull in the mold makers work flow recently." He did mention that it would take a "great deal of effort to both design and fashion the aluminum mold necessary to make it happen" and that they would "not do this sort of thing for only 5 or 10 units." All quotes are his direct words.

The fish is nibbling. Steve wants to gauge interests in this project and he is well-aware of our fanaticism for these little enduro's. He suggested people reach out to him via [email protected] with what size they prefer. I voted for a 4-gallon version, which he said is possible with the right design. They also answer the phone directly, so a follow up by voice is good too. Should we circulate a petition? I know you guys tried this with A-Chair-Bee with little success. I defer to more experienced folks on how to proceed from here. Thanks.

Tank_480_480x480.jpg

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes.

I will not give a dime to Clarke for a tank.

I will purchase a well made aftermarket higher capacity tank.

IMS or Acerbis, whoever goes first.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I'd prefer a tank that is not more than 2.5 gallons. The bike looks to much out of proportion with the larger 4 gallon tank. The suspension can't manage the weight I feel either. I gallon more than stock will provide plenty of all day riding for any but the most ardent of TW200 riders.
I have a XT225 tank on my bike and that provides plenty of fuel. I take a spare 30 oz. MSR fuel cell with me on extended trips just in case. To date, It's only been needed once by a fellow rider, not myself. I have also been known to stash gas along the route. I'll plan my way to the staging area and plant a can some place near where the trail will meet the road. On my way home, I'll stop and pick it up. This works great! I can also stash a lunch and water if the weather isn't hot.

·
Registered
634 Posts
First off.....you bastard!!! I was all giggity reading the title!! I'm gonna forgive you though. ;)

I've wanted an aftermarket tank nearly the 2.5 years I've had my TW. The Clarke XT225 specifically. IMO....it's the best looking option available. Although the mods needed to make it work aren't too many/terrible, I've always preferred a more simple bolt on, but can't muster the look & .9 gln increase of the Clarke TW tank, not to mention the blemishes.

IMO.....the absolute smallest should be 3 gln, but would hope it's 3.25 to 4 gln.

I would think most would agree we'd like see in no particular order:

1. 3-4 gln.
2. Quality made plastic tank & gas cap, that screws on easily and won't warp & crack after a few uses.
3. Easy, simple install - preferably no mods needed (realize this w/b difficult w/3-4 gln sized tank).
4. Will fit with OEM or aftermarket bars, including bar risers (turns lock to lock).
5. Look reasonably good (So, maybe 3.25 or 3.5 gln with the look of either Clarke XT225 or OEM XT225).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the bigger 225 tank takes away the aesthetics’s of the TW the way the front sticks out, I would like to see a nice clean 3 gal tank based off the original tank, I live in a rural area and don’t have the luxury of just driving down the block to a gas station when I’m low on fuel. that’s my 2cents.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thank you Westie for throwing that hook out there! Just emailed Steve @ IMS.

Also, please consider starting same thread over on ADV Rider under the TW thread, and on the Facebook Yamaha TW200 World page. We need to drum up the interest in this! ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,093 Posts
Huge thanks for contacting them and trying to get this moving. Even though I don't have a TW anymore, I'm going to contact them as soon as I post this.

We begged and begged Clark to fix the issues and they couldn't be bothered. Micky Mouse work! You'd think they would have a little pride in their product.

I hope this goes through because they will sell for sure!!!

***And maybe companies like Clark will listen next time.

Thanks Westie!! (y) (y) (y)

·
Super Moderator
19,093 Posts
OK, my note to them is done. I hope all of you will do the same thing and contact them.

My email to them as follows:

Dear Steve and Dan,

I am one of the moderators on the TW200 forum. I have been here quite a while and have a pretty good feeling for what the forum members would like to see and what they would use if available.

One of our members (westieterrier) contacted you about making us some decent aftermarket gas tanks. I hope you will seriously seriously consider this!!

The TW is becoming more and more popular and folks are modifying them for long distance camping and adventure travels. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

We have been complaining for years to Clark to fix their TW tank and they just can't be bothered.

I can guarantee, if you make them, we will buy them.

Sincerely,

littletommy (forum name)

Just takes a second to contact them, please do.

Here's the link again: [email protected]

1 - 20 of 137 Posts