TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Beautiful post IP !! You've eloquently expressed the same feelings I have on just about every single point. I'm not experienced enough off-road to appreciate the "tank gripping" comments yet as I am merely trying at this beginner level to just 'keep the rubber side down.' I imagine I will identify with what you're saying on leg positioning perhaps this summer. Awesome!

Considering that you've done such a great job here, perhaps you can give Daniel or Chris a call at IMS: (951) 653-7720 PCT. Tell them what you say above. They're super friendly Californians.

Regarding fuel left in the tank, I've now read a number of old posts regarding the XT tanks on this forum, and one knowledgeable person stated that a small amount of fuel left in the tank is a good thing as it captures debris and impurities by design. The person further stated that most motorcycle tanks are made in such manner. Interesting.

Lastly, one final question. How would you compare the Clarke XT225 4.1 tank to the XT350 4.0 tank? Which one has a cleaner fit? If IMS does not come through with a definitive answer, I will be heading in that direction. Thank you for all your work here!!
Patrick
Thanks, just giving my thoughts on the subject. What I mean about the grip is that when standing, I use my legs to grip the bike. Over rough ground it's important to be able to control body movements without placing unwanted input into the bars. It also helps you to be able to keep a lighter grip thus avoiding fatigue. With the short seat/peg relationship on the TW, when standing, the seat is lower than on most "normal" sized bikes so there's not a great place for ones knees to "bite" for a good grip. I tend to grip in the seat tank junction area a lot while riding off-road. The shape of the seat works for this because near the tank it's more narrow, and it flairs out further back. This flair of the seat gives your legs something to stabilize against in the rearward direction. But, with the Clarke tank being so slick, and having such little flair toward the front, there's just not much for your legs to grip or gain stability against in the forward direction. This just makes it more difficult, and tiring, to maintain good purchase with the legs.

As far as calling the guys at IMS, I doubt anything I'd have to say would influence their decisions one way or the other, and I would guess that if they're serious about this tank they're likely already following this thread in order to gauge potential marketability. Otherwise, feel free to forward my comments if you like.

Like others, I don't want a tank that requires mods to my seat or side panels to fit. I still have the stock tank and when it comes time to replace this bike I'll put it back to stock and keep my accessories for the next.

I can't comment on the non-TW tanks on a TW. I have the Clarke TW tank on my TW, and the Clarke XT tank on my XT. Quite some time ago I did read some posts on the subject of using the XT tanks on a TW, but if I remember correctly, they weren't a straight bolt on install so didn't suit my wants/needs.

As far as aesthetics go, that's not really a "thing" for me. For a bike of this sort I'm much more of a function over form guy. I think that a well setup bike, with a purposeful look, defines what looks "good" on a bike of this type anyway.

As far a color goes, I feel the same. I have the "natural" opaque tanks on both bikes and absolutely LOVE them in that I have a VERY accurate "fuel gauge" that leaves on doubt as to the status of my fuel level at any time on a ride.

I already have a tank on my TW obviously. But, if IMS offers an opaque tank of adequate size, that requires no permanent mods to the bike, for a reasonable price, this one will go on the Bay in a heartbeat. My XT has a 250 mile range, and I'd love it if my TW could do the same...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
It would be cool if they could make a black tank with an opaque strip
For a fuel guage !
Mike from NC

·
Registered
203 Posts
It would be cool if they could make a black tank with an opaque strip
For a fuel guage ! But I know they can't
Supposedly if you paint or otherwise color a tank before it's ever had gas in it, there's a way to make it permanent. I can't remember what it involved, whether it was some kind of epoxy paint or vinyl wrap or what. Some people use perforated decals. I will probably try some kind of decal at some point and put pinholes in it to see if that works. The clarke tank seems so thick I wonder if it's as much of a problem though. The IMS on my drz is thinner but flexible and I know from others experiences that it definitely breathes through the plastic a bit, maybe the clarke doesn't?

·
Super Moderator
19,095 Posts
Supposedly if you paint or otherwise color a tank before it's ever had gas in it, there's a way to make it permanent. I can't remember what it involved, whether it was some kind of epoxy paint or vinyl wrap or what. Some people use perforated decals. I will probably try some kind of decal at some point and put pinholes in it to see if that works. The clarke tank seems so thick I wonder if it's as much of a problem though. The IMS on my drz is thinner but flexible and I know from others experiences that it definitely breathes through the plastic a bit, maybe the clarke doesn't?
Nope, it does.

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nope, it does.
@littletommy with the fastest keyboard in the west here!! (Wait are you in the west? 😂)

Thanks for the heads up, when I first put hands on the tank I remember thinking "damn, this thing is thick, I wonder if it will swell at all"

I'd love to get a little more gas out of it.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
19,095 Posts
It does outgas and it is hard to get things to stick to it. I finally got some knee pads to stick to it with some 3M glue. They didn't budge for years.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Latest Emails from Daniel at IMS (hint: we are close to getting this!):

Patrick,
Please disregard the email below, at least for the time being. We may have found a rider who emailed us last month who’s only about an hour drive away. Sounds like the customer saw the post or thread with all the TW200 riders talking about the possibility for IMS making an oversized tank and he reached out. I’ll keep you posted with whatever updates we get from him and once we have the bike here in our shop.

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Patrick,
Very sorry for the delay in getting this email sent out to you, but we’ve just been slammed here at IMS over the last few weeks. I was finally able to chat with the general manager here at IMS, and he wanted me to reach out to you and let you know that although he can’t guarantee anything quite yet, he was very happy to see all the interest in an oversized tank for that TW200 model. He wanted me to ask if you would be able to post or find out if there were anyone nearby here to IMS who would be able to provide their bike for a few days and that way we can take a look at the OEM tank setup. It would just be to look at that tank and if we did decide to make an oversized tank, then I’m sure we would hook up whoever loaned us the bike as well. Our address is below for reference:

IMS Products Inc.
6240 Box Springs Blvd. Unit E
Riverside, CA. 92507

If you found a person who wasn’t too far away, then please have them call us at the number below.

Thanks,
Daniel
IMS Products
(951) 653-7720
Open Mon-Fri, 7:30 am – 4:30 pm PST

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

Patrick,
Please disregard the email below, at least for the time being. We may have found a rider who emailed us last month who’s only about an hour drive away. Sounds like the customer saw the post or thread with all the TW200 riders talking about the possibility for IMS making an oversized tank and he reached out. I’ll keep you posted with whatever updates we get from him and once we have the bike here in our shop.

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Patrick,
Very sorry for the delay in getting this email sent out to you, but we’ve just been slammed here at IMS over the last few weeks. I was finally able to chat with the general manager here at IMS, and he wanted me to reach out to you and let you know that although he can’t guarantee anything quite yet, he was very happy to see all the interest in an oversized tank for that TW200 model. He wanted me to ask if you would be able to post or find out if there were anyone nearby here to IMS who would be able to provide their bike for a few days and that way we can take a look at the OEM tank setup. It would just be to look at that tank and if we did decide to make an oversized tank, then I’m sure we would hook up whoever loaned us the bike as well. Our address is below for reference:

IMS Products Inc.
Riverside, CA. 92507

If you found a person who wasn’t too far away, then please have them call us at the number below.

Thanks,
Daniel
IMS Products
(951) 653-7720
Right on Westie! Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
2004 TW200
12 Posts

Patrick,

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Patrick,

IMS Products Inc.
Riverside, CA. 92507

Thanks,
Daniel
IMS Products
(951) 653-7720
I can help out too. I live about 15 minutes from IMS and work just up the freeway. I currently have two gas tanks sitting in my garage they can play with, and I can bring them my bike to look at (once I put the engine all back together!).

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I can help out too. I live about 15 minutes from IMS and work just up the freeway. I currently have two gas tanks sitting in my garage they can play with, and I can bring them my bike to look at (once I put the engine all back together!).
Welcome to the forum
Hang around and have some fun.....
Solve some problems..
And help someone out if you can..
mike from NC

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
344 Posts
Soooo... anybody know if IMS has a TW in-house yet @ this point?

IMS contact info in thread here - any of you TW neighbors to IMS reach out to them?

Strike while the iron is hot. They gotta hear the DubNation wants this!

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
344 Posts
Bump-ity bump bump bump.

Reactions: SpeedyTide

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Bump
Any new information ?