TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Not being a habitual poster on forums, I tend to listen/read more than than talk/post.

Recently been presented with the opportunity to purchase a used, 1992, TW200, with ~10,000 miles on her for ~$1200 (last week).

Now, after a few pleasant exchanges with the person in question, it would seem that a couple of friends of his -one of which, he says, is an ASE certified mechanic- did the following repairs/maintenance on the motorcycle.

- Removed the carb, took it apart and had the components marinating in some carburetor cleaning solution
- Flushed the tank
- Replaced the plug
- Replaced the air filter
- Replaced the carburetor hoses
- Replaced the and petcock valve -which he ways was was frozen-
- Replaced the battery
- Checked the electrical circuits
- Replaced a rear tail light bulb and he adds that all head lights, turn signals, brake light are A-OK
- Tested the starter
- Adjusted the chain and said that it and the sprocket were perfect -they had to clean the chain-
- Tested the brakes
- Tested the compression
- Put in new oil and a Yamaha filter.

He also that they were going to check the valves but that they're going to wait until after they start the bike since they still have to remount the tank, seat, rear plastic piece before that.

With that in mind, I would like to pose a few questions and get as much feedback from the forum as possible before I make an informed decision.

I have no reason to doubt the claims made by the seller, as I have no reason to doubt any of what he said about his friends and what they did. Our exchanges have raised no red flags and since we've had a few e-mail that were off-topic, it seems we share a passion for some similar hobbies.

Obviously, I am willing to pay for any and all parts purchased in relation to the maintenance;
But would like to know how much, would constitute fair compensation for the time his friends have put in on this?
As well as what you'd think would be fair selling value at this point, given all that was done on the said motorcycle?
and lastly, is there something in particular (or even left) that needs to be double-checked before I purchase it?
The seller also mentioned that the title was clean, and that it was registered and everything until 2007 - Since then it's been in a barn/garage

Thank you very much for your time and understanding.

Best,
AZERTY.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Sounds like normal maintenance for a bike left sitting that long.
$1200 total is what I'd consider.
Make sure rust has been removed from tank and install an inline filter. Tire's if original are going to need to be replaced. Chain is most likely the same, sprockets too.
Air filter probably was eaten by mice make sure air box hasn't been chewed and seal is good.
Good luck
Enjoy they are a blast.

·
Registered
20,487 Posts
1200 seems a reasonable price considering everything as long as bike is not in California or other state that requires payment of back fees. As Padelin implied check a few things to confirm with your own eyes. Ask questions like what was the compression psi number, etc. Otherwise sounds like a thoroughly checked out TW. Tires dry out over time, try to determine age and be prepared to budget funds for replacements. Even in a barn out of UV any tire parked since 2007 would cause me concern.

·
Registered
297 Posts
One thing I wonder about is: they haven't checked the valves yet as they still have to mount the tank before this can be done? Well, the tank has to be OFF to get at the valves. Makes me wonder about competency level here regarding BIKES. ASE really is CAR certification, while being mechanical in general helps, how much experience with BIKES does this guy have! And as Fred stated earlier, you shouldn't be paying for those parts on top of the selling price. That thing should be ready to ride for that price. Unless the chain and sprockets are newer, I'm sure they will need replacing. There's $125, if you want to do it right. Be sure to look at the front sprocket with a flashlight. If that thing needs replacing, removal of the left engine cover is required and is a little bit of a job. You see, I bought a 2006 TW in July of this year, with only 790 miles on it, and I thought I was getting a good deal at the time. I never saw any used anywhere, and jumped on this one. Well, about $500 in parts later, it is finally a nice bike. (base gasket to still be replaced this winter!-more$$$). I wish I would have nit-picked this thing ALOT closer at the time. Look at the left side engine case above the front sprocket, mine was cracked from the previous owner letting the chain get too loose-and it had come off the sprockets at one time and wadded around the front sprocket, cracking the case. While this was just cosmetic, it bugged me and I replaced it when I did new sprockets. About $170 just for that stuff. Sorry for going on so long-just really look it over good-take a friend with you-two sets of eyes are better at "catching" things. And lastly don't get all "starry-eyed" over this particular TW, even though they are kinda rare, there's plenty more where that came from-if you're patient. I found two nicer ones about a week after buying mine, more $$, but needed nothing.-Glenn

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
OK. So I get to be the turd in the punchbowl?

1992 with 10k miles?

Well, if you take comparative market analysis into account, I bought my 94 with 2400 miles on it for 1100.

When considering the purchase of a bike, you have to take into account that a NEW one (2013) can be had for less than 3500. That bike will come with a warranty.

Weighing variables, I'd say the bike in question is worth about 750 to 800.

Not having actual longevity information for these engines, I'd say that they probably get a little tired at about 50 thousand miles. So 20 percent of the life of the bike is used up.

I wouldn't give an extra dime for them to get the bike ready to sell. that is on them.

And an ASE mechanic? Holds zero water in my book, unless he has spent ten years in a Yamaha shop.

Go on Searchtempest.com and find yourself a deal. There are much better bikes out there.

I buy bikes all the time. spend a bit more for a better bike that hasn't been "touched". They are out there.
Remember, you can get a new bike with a warranty for less than 4 grand. That spoils the pot for all those older used TW200s. They are essentially the same till MY2000, and the newr disk brake bikes are also basically unchanged. Find a color scheme that works for you and go for it.

Sorry to piss on your corn flakes. Don't want to see you have a bad experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Padlien Fred, Hikerglenn, Smitty Blackstone and Borneo, thank you all for your time and input on this matter.

I'll keep looking for now, hopefully something will come my way from now till January, if not, I'll go for a new one (warranty and all for a little more) then and there.

Merci!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts