TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This past deer season was special for my son, though i didnt realize how special until last night.
He spent weekend after weekend planting oats and such getting food plots ready, setting up stands, and hanging out around the campfire listening to the most fascinating stories. He would come home telling me all about how kind and nice and smart "hondo" was. How he would let dagen drive him around on the kabota, and go on walks around the pond together. The man he described was humble and attentive. I knew he was ex military and in poor health, but that was the extent of my knowledge when it came to his "hunting buddies.". (this was my dad's dept. not mine)
Two days ago, we received the call that hondo had passed. And then i saw the news. I am officially speechless. My son spent months with one of the greatest military minds of our time, just hanging out, having a good time. I am so grateful and shocked and amazed. We had no idea he was in the presence of greatness, but then again, i think dagen always knew...

Retired Army general from Shreveport dies - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
That's cool!! :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the FYI. Regret to hear of this. I remember the name now. Well known to us in DoD/RRAD, back what seems like just a few short years ago.

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
Your son was fortunate to know such a man. Good people can have a lasting positive influence that we are sometimes unaware of.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I wonder what the General died from at age 68?
Viet Nam related?
Great experience for your son!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your son was fortunate to know such a man. Good people can have a lasting positive influence that we are sometimes unaware of.
I couldn't agree more. My son will be attending the memorial for not only Hondo, but for the rest of the family as well. They are truly remarkable people that have changed my son's life over these past 6 months in ways that will continue to benefit him for the rest of his life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts