TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for an affordable inch- pound torque wrench. Any suggestions. I'd like to keep the $$$ down to around $100.00....if thats even possible?. There are a few made in the U.S. ,but some of them only go to 60 inch pounds = 5 ft. lb.. TIA

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Frog,

Last year I finally decided to get a smaller torque wrench. I needed something to supplement my 1/2 drive torque wrench that I have had for 25 years that handles the higher torques.

After a lot of research I found one that met my needs for the lower-mid range of torques. I have used it for the last year and it has worked well. However, it is a clicker type. If you ever want to consider a clicker type, here is the info:

It is a 3/8" drive with a 30 - 250 inch-pound range. It is made by CDI which is a Snap-on company. It comes with a certificate of calibration and a protective case. The model number is 2502MRMH-QR.
It is slightly over $100. Here is a link: CDI 2502MRMH Micrometer Adj Torque Wrench Dual Scale - 2502MRMH

My only complaint is that the numbers could be easier to read. For young eyes it would not be a problem, however in low light I have to squint a bit to read the numbers. This is by no means a deal-breaker - just something to be aware of.

I have nothing against bending beam type torque wrenches. If I could have found one with a decent range and decent accuracy I would have gotten one.

Good luck in your search.

Old White Truck

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Harbor freight has one for 21.99 on sale. Seemed like decent quality and it has lifetime warranty
Car Craft magazine did some testing recently that compared Snap-on, Craftsman, and Harbor Freight clicker torque wrenches and found (to my surprise) that HF rated best in accuracy and repeatability.

Before I retired I worked in an R&D engineering lab and everything had to be calibrated regularly. I have a couple of HF torque wrenches that I bought to use as huge ratchets only, not trusting their accuracy. Just for the heck of it I took them into work and compared mine to the calibrated Snap-on wrenches we used in the lab. We had a bench set up with meters to test the wrenches calibration and my neglected HF wrenches that had never been calibrated were very close to the lab wrenches. I know that isn't an official test but I'm just telling what my experience was. These were all clickers.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW,good info,I guess Chi-Com. made stuff is starting to come around. Of course,this all depends on who's spec / standard the tools are being too?.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts