TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Hey Nipples,

Where in California are you located? There's a good chance you're near some forum members who could help you out with a clutch holding tool and/or spring compressor, etc.

Brian

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sweet Vishnu, man! Save some accessories for the rest of us.

Reactions: inchlongnipples

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hey Nipples,

Where in California are you located? There's a good chance you're near some forum members who could help you out with a clutch holding tool and/or spring compressor, etc.

Brian
I live in Dixon, about half an hour West of Sacramento. Borrowing a spring compressor would be really cool, because I would never need it again.. The clutch holder would be needed again with the kicker kit though, I believe. My rule is if I ever need to borrow a tool a second time, I buy my own. Since I know I will need it at least twice, I might as well just save the time and buy one at the start. Would be cool to find some locals though, I’ve seen one other TW here in Dixon!

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
I live in Dixon, about half an hour West of Sacramento. Borrowing a spring compressor would be really cool, because I would never need it again.. The clutch holder would be needed again with the kicker kit though, I believe. My rule is if I ever need to borrow a tool a second time, I buy my own. Since I know I will need it at least twice, I might as well just save the time and buy one at the start. Would be cool to find some locals though, I’ve seen one other TW here in Dixon!
My son went to UC Davis, so I have been by Dixon numerous times. Just last weekend, Fred and I met at SkiPro3's place in El Dorado, just south of Placerville with a couple of other forum members for some wrenching and eating but no riding. There is a chance that we will be getting together again in a few weeks. I have a spring compressor that makes swapping the rear spring a less than 10 minute job, and also have a clutch holding tool that you would be welcome to borrow.

I also went on a number of rides with forum member Evan (Mike) who is up in Woodland, but he hasn't been around here much lately.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You can use a press for the rear spring replacement. The spring isn't under much tension so you don't need to compress it very far to slide the retainer out.
20200614_140624.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,512 Posts
You can use a press for the rear spring replacement. The spring isn't under much tension so you don't need to compress it very far to slide the retainer out. View attachment 214094
I wish I had tools like that. Much safer than my ratchet strap method spring compressor.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My son went to UC Davis, so I have been by Dixon numerous times. Just last weekend, Fred and I met at SkiPro3's place in El Dorado, just south of Placerville with a couple of other forum members for some wrenching and eating but no riding. There is a chance that we will be getting together again in a few weeks. I have a spring compressor that makes swapping the rear spring a less than 10 minute job, and also have a clutch holding tool that you would be welcome to borrow.

I also went on a number of rides with forum member Evan (Mike) who is up in Woodland, but he hasn't been around here much lately.
Oh man if I can make it to a meet up that would be great! I would have loved to go to that placerville one, but I had no way of transporting the bike at the time.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Gonna make sure you know about any rides up in my neck of the woods. BTW, anyone wanna ride this way, just give me a shout. I've been getting an itch to ride Rock Creek trails. Mostly because I am familiar with them and they are not too rocky. Hoping the creek crossings are not too high due to the drought conditions too. Which reminds me, Nip, don't forget to do the carb vent hose mod. Water deeper than a few inches tends to stall these scooters I've been told.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Gonna make sure you know about any rides up in my neck of the woods. BTW, anyone wanna ride this way, just give me a shout. I've been getting an itch to ride Rock Creek trails. Mostly because I am familiar with them and they are not too rocky. Hoping the creek crossings are not too high due to the drought conditions too. Which reminds me, Nip, don't forget to do the carb vent hose mod. Water deeper than a few inches tends to stall these scooters I've been told.
Good to know, I will look into it. I think I perused that thread a while back but I forgot all about it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So I got my receiver carrier assembled today, and man is it nice. I’ve used the all-aluminum ones before, but I’ve never had one with a smooth track or a full length ramp and it just makes a huge difference. Super easy to load up solo.

I also got another little farkle set up, this sweet ass keychain from user jd8! Got a couple in gray to match the bike, and a couple more in black and hi-viz orange because it’s for good cause!

You can find jd8’s classified ad for them here:
Tdub keychains 3 for $10!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Dayum that ramp's looong! Definitely helpful though!! (y)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Welllll the receiver carrier didn’t work out as expected. My CX-5’s max tongue weight of 600lbs was deceiving as the rear suspension sag while loaded up was so severe the carrier was dragging on the ground over speed bumps.. So I sent it back. Looking into small trailers now, like a 5x8 or smaller if I can get away with it. Just big enough to carry two dirt bikes.

Haven’t made much progress on mods lately, been pretty busy working on the house. I did sticker bomb the bike though, gotta represent! I think on Wednesday I will try to put on the 15t sprocket and new clutch springs, and with both of those done I will do the first oil change and clutch cable adjustment. If I have the time I will put on the high fender mount. I am still waiting on the fender eliminator kit and my new LED rear turn signals. Once I get those they will all go on together shopping with the new signal flasher relay.

I am still on the fence about the round headlight conversion. I do like the look, but I kind of want to keep the spirit of the Tdub aesthetic. It’s not nearly as bad as the KLR front cowling.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Looking into small trailers now, like a 5x8 or smaller if I can get away with it. Just big enough to carry two dirt bikes.
I have a small motorcycle trailer with 2 rails and could actually be 3 rails. If you are interested, let me know and I may be willing to sell it. Works fine, but I actually would like to up-size to a utility trailer I can haul loads to the dump with.
Let's see if I can attach a photo or two....
I'll be back....

Here's a link to some of my trailer photos from another thread on this forum;

·
Registered
204 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
277 Posts
max tongue weight of 600lbs was deceiving as the rear suspension sag while loaded up was so severe the carrier was dragging on the ground over speed bumps.
I have a Toyota Highlander that suffers the same issue, though not severe enough to drag, with the bike on carrier. Nowhere to store, nor desire to buy a trailer.

I’ve been kicking around the idea of a set of coil spring “helpers” like @ link below.

Anybody have good experience with these, or other brands? (Mini-thread-hijack, but on-topic[?] Plse forgive.)

Progress on your bike looks good, I.L.N!

21 - 40 of 80 Posts