TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I have a Toyota Highlander that suffers the same issue, though not severe enough to drag, with the bike on carrier. Nowhere to store, nor desire to buy a trailer.

I’ve been kicking around the idea of a set of coil spring “helpers” like @ link below.

Anybody have good experience with these, or other brands? (Mini-thread-hijack, but on-topic[?] Plse forgive.)

Progress on your bike looks good, I.L.N!

Looks like those are just little spacers that increase the preload on your shocks to reduce sag? That might be a simple solution, but I’m already done with the idea of using the receiver carriers. Thanks though!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have a small motorcycle trailer with 2 rails and could actually be 3 rails. If you are interested, let me know and I may be willing to sell it. Works fine, but I actually would like to up-size to a utility trailer I can haul loads to the dump with.
Let's see if I can attach a photo or two....
I'll be back....

Here's a link to some of my trailer photos from another thread on this forum;
That is a pretty bad ass little trailer! But alas, like you I am also thinking about the other uses of a multipurpose trailer. I appreciate the offer though!

·
Registered
2021 TW200
16 Posts
That is a pretty bad ass little trailer! But alas, like you I am also thinking about the other uses of a multipurpose trailer. I appreciate the offer though!
Could always go with the good ole Harbor Freight foldable trailer. Folds in half and tucks in the corner of the garage nicely. I have 2 chucks I put on when transporting a bike, or one in the center.

I did just pick up the Black Widow MCC-500 to transport the TDub.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Could always go with the good ole Harbor Freight foldable trailer. Folds in half and tucks in the corner of the garage nicely. I have 2 chucks I put on when transporting a bike, or one in the center.

I did just pick up the Black Widow MCC-500 to transport the TDub.
I thought 4’ would be too narrow in regards to tie down points. Yours works well?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well I got caught up with chores today and didn’t get much done. I had enough time to do the high fender mount and seat pad, during which I copied an idea from this forum to cut off the included straps (leaving the loops) and tying it on with paracord. Woven from the front and then tied off with a trucker hitch and a regular hitch for the tag. High fender looks much better, but the oem fender looks kinda goofy. Gotta find something a little longer and slimmer. The now-unused original fender mounting points are begging for new purpose.. maybe some aux lights? Or a compact subfender like on the XT250..

·
Registered
204 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
277 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Well, it's yours any time you want to borrow it. It's just hanging around taking up space. I have a 18' flat bed stake side tandem trailer as well you can borrow. It's got ramps. I use it to haul my tractor/backhoe. I think the last time I used it was 2 years ago to drive over to Walmart and put new tires on it. Brakes I rebuilt at that time along with wheel bearings.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I've got the White & Black Polisport SM Line Universal Front Fender & I really do love it.
They make it in Black, with Gray accent: On sale $28.99, now.

View attachment 214380
Oh wow that is a super nice fender.. Good size and fancy enough without being too edgy and aggressive. I had actually been planning on getting either the gray XT250 fender or a solid gray Polisport universal fender, but I really like the two-tone of the SM. Gray and black to match my bike, I think I’m sold!

·
Registered
2021 TW200
16 Posts
I thought 4’ would be too narrow in regards to tie down points. Yours works well?
I threw down some 3/4" plywood and have a dozen tie down points. They sick out the sides a good 4".

I've had 900+ lbs of bikes on there at a time with the Harley & CB together. Have never had an issue.

Great little trailer for the price. Just make sure the bolts are all nice and tight with some blue locktite and you're good to go. I think I've had it for 10 years. Also suggest the upgraded tires!!!

* Your build is looking sweet!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I threw down some 3/4" plywood and have a dozen tie down points. They sick out the sides a good 4".

I've had 900+ lbs of bikes on there at a time with the Harley & CB together. Have never had an issue.

Great little trailer for the price. Just make sure the bolts are all nice and tight with some blue locktite and you're good to go. I think I've had it for 10 years. Also suggest the upgraded tires!!!

* Your build is looking sweet!
Right on man, I had considered the HF folding trailer but figured it was too narrow. I think that will be my choice now. Can you tell me a bit about the upgraded tires? Is it just tires or the whole wheel you change out? Also, you have to completely remove the plywood to fold it up, correct?

And thank you!

·
Registered
2021 TW200
16 Posts
Right on man, I had considered the HF folding trailer but figured it was too narrow. I think that will be my choice now. Can you tell me a bit about the upgraded tires? Is it just tires or the whole wheel you change out? Also, you have to completely remove the plywood to fold it up, correct?

And thank you!
My pleasure. No, just cut the sheet of plywood in half, then fasten the plywood down! Stays there permanently. I've contemplated Rhino coating the whole sheet a few times. May actually do it one day.

The upgrades tire/wheels are at harbor freight. They have a higher DOT rating / weight / speed, etc. After looking on the site it seems the "Super Duty" version comes with the upgraded tires.

I also got the led light kit a few years back and rewired it up. If you are doing long hauls, I always suggest getting the spare tire carrier and having a spare with you.

This guy does a pretty good build, but spent way too much, lol. I have mine set up so the chocks are removable.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well, it's yours any time you want to borrow it. It's just hanging around taking up space. I have a 18' flat bed stake side tandem trailer as well you can borrow. It's got ramps. I use it to haul my tractor/backhoe. I think the last time I used it was 2 years ago to drive over to Walmart and put new tires on it. Brakes I rebuilt at that time along with wheel bearings.
Well that is an incredibly generous offer, thank you! The 18 footer sounds like one helluva trailer, but there's no way my CX-5 can pull that!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
My pleasure. No, just cut the sheet of plywood in half, then fasten the plywood down! Stays there permanently. I've contemplated Rhino coating the whole sheet a few times. May actually do it one day.

The upgrades tire/wheels are at harbor freight. They have a higher DOT rating / weight / speed, etc. After looking on the site it seems the "Super Duty" version comes with the upgraded tires.

I also got the led light kit a few years back and rewired it up. If you are doing long hauls, I always suggest getting the spare tire carrier and having a spare with you.

This guy does a pretty good build, but spent way too much, lol. I have mine set up so the chocks are removable.
While that trailer looks pretty bad ass, I really don't like how vertical those outside straps are.. Looks like there is very little preventing the bikes from tilting toward the center.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
While that trailer looks pretty bad ass, I really don't like how vertical those outside straps are.. Looks like there is very little preventing the bikes from tilting toward the center.
If it were me, I'd engineer a telescoping extension for the proper leverage you speak of. Or maybe one that folds out or bolts on. My trailer is a real ankle biter, which is why I painted that tie down bar orange and put reflective tape on it. Ow!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
If it were me, I'd engineer a telescoping extension for the proper leverage you speak of. Or maybe one that folds out or bolts on. My trailer is a real ankle biter, which is why I painted that tie down bar orange and put reflective tape on it. Ow!!
Telescopic is a very interesting concept.. Square stock within a bigger square stock, held in place with a hitch pin going through one of several spaced out holes for different angles. I do recall the 8' wide tie down beam on your trailer, massive! I would be afraid to take that on the road lol, that's wider than my car by close to two feet.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Telescopic is a very interesting concept.. Square stock within a bigger square stock, held in place with a hitch pin going through one of several spaced out holes for different angles. I do recall the 8' wide tie down beam on your trailer, massive! I would be afraid to take that on the road lol, that's wider than my car by close to two feet.
But it's great to know where the trailer is when no bike is on it by looking in either mirror. Plus it's great to keep others back from you on the road. Ha! Take THAT!!

·
Registered
2021 TW200
16 Posts
I don't tie down to the top of the trailer. I have connection rods sticking out the side of the frame 4" or so.

You ratchet with equal pressure and they are going nowhere. I always like to ratchet down the back tire as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I don't tie down to the top of the trailer. I have connection rods sticking out the side of the frame 4" or so.

You ratchet with equal pressure and they are going nowhere. I always like to ratchet down the back tire as well.
RIght on, good to know. You have any pics of your extension rods?

·
Registered
2021 TW200
16 Posts
It's called an "airline L-track tie down". I basically have them along the front like Ski Pro's orange pole, just not so far out. I fastened them down to the bed a few different ways until I saw there was absolutely no give when I ratcheted down the bikes. That was hanging off 4"-5". These are the same tracks that hold thousands of pounds of people in their seats inside planes.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts