TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dual sport riding clinic I am participating in will be going on a practice drill / and 140 mile ride. For those of us with limited range it was suggested to either bring some tubing and find someone with a large dual sport to get some fuel from :rolleyes: or bring extra fuel. I am a little nervous about tying a can of gas on the back of the TW as I am concerned about its coming off or bursting and igniting in the event of a get-off.

Thanks to a posting on this forum I ordered a $20.00 water proof case to serve as a top box a few weeks ago. I found it could comfortably hold a 1 gallon gas can and have some space left for some tools and a lunch or whatever. The height of the interior of the box is only slightly higher than the height of the gas can so it required a low profile mounting inside the box. A sheet of foam supplied with the box compresses nicely to hold the can vertically but requires no sharp protrusions into the interior of the box.

The budget was limited (I am cheap) so I used some scrap 1/4" X 2" oak flooring planks I had in the garage. Carriage bolts from the inside provide a smooth low profile in the interior and some glued up oak spacers compensate for the rise at the end of the rack. Another oak strip, some fender washers, lock washers and nuts clamp the whole thing to the rack from below. Strips cut from an old inner tube serve to cushion and protect all the clamping and clamped to surfaces. The whole thing comes off easily by removing the 4 nuts and washers. Lateral positioning and cushioning are provided by additional foam that came with the case. Total outlay was about $40.00 including the box and the fuel can.

The results are as below.

Open Box.jpg

Closed Box.jpg

Top mount.jpg

Bottom mount.jpg

TW with Box.jpg

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Was this Doc Wong's riding clinic? Are you guys going to Clear Creek / New Idria? Let me know where you parked your trailer / truck. Take pictures.

Or if possible could you make a GPS track of your ride. I would be very interested in it. Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was this Doc Wong's riding clinic? Are you guys going to Clear Creek / New Idria? Let me know where you parked your trailer / truck. Take pictures.

Or if possible could you make a GPS track of your ride. I would be very interested in it. Thanks.
Yes, it is Doc Wong's clinic and yes, we are going to Clear Creek / New Idria. I will undoubtedly take a few pictures and can turn on my Spot Tracker in Track mode to get some GPS coordinates for you.
We won't go until April as that is the next clinic scheduled after February when the field day was rained out. Why don't you take the clinic and join us?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Good idea and a lot cheaper than a Clarke aftermarket tank.
Yup, but if you have to carry other equipment, the aftermarket tank opens up the luggage space.

R2R, where did you get such a fine watertight box for $20. I want 3.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Why don't you take the clinic and join us?
I have taken the lecture part of the course but didn't go for the ride. To cold and days to short!

I thought you were going to go in the very near future, like next weekend. I plan on taking a mid week ride to that area in a month or so that I why I asked for tracks but chances are I will be there before you.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Yes, it is Doc Wong's clinic and yes, we are going to Clear Creek / New Idria. I will undoubtedly take a few pictures and can turn on my Spot Tracker in Track mode to get some GPS coordinates for you.
We won't go until April as that is the next clinic scheduled after February when the field day was rained out. Why don't you take the clinic and join us?
I rode Clear Creek on one of Doc Wong's clinics about 10 years ago before they closed it to off-road vehicles. I didn't realize that any of it had been reopened. How much of it will be accessible for this ride?

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
How much of it will be accessible for this ride?
There is a county road (dirt) that goes through Clear Creek. If your vehicle is plated then you can be on that road but going off road is taboo. On the other hand the place is so big the chances of getting caught are remote.

One guy told me if you don't run from the ranger he is more apt to give a warning -- or if in a group just to give one person a ticket -- I have been told it is $175.

I have also heard there is a ranch in New Idria that abuts up to Clear Creek. One can park on this ranch (for a fee) and ride across it to get into the Clear Creek area.

My mid week trip would be to see what opportunities do exist and maybe find out what the odds of getting caught are.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
There is a county road (dirt) that goes through Clear Creek. If your vehicle is plated then you can be on that road but going off road is taboo. On the other hand the place is so big the chances of getting caught are remote.
You are right about it being big. There are also sections that will make Hollister Hills seem like your neighborhood kiddie park. Doc Wong tells a story about a trail called Williams Folly where a guy rode down the trail and the only way he could get his bike out was by disassembling it and using ropes to haul it back out.

Be careful if you are going by yourself and plan to venture off the main road.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
No matter how you figure it, the best place for extra fuel is between your legs. The geometry of our bikes changes drastically when we add off centered heavy liquids anywhere else. If at all possible, center the extra fuel or use two containers of equal weight on either side. Loading your bike for a long adventure makes for a much more comfortable ride if you balance the weight forward and rear and right and left. Too much weight behind you and your front wheel will lose valuable contact in rough terrain. A gallon of fuel behind you weighs about 8 pounds but is multiplied a lot the further back it is fastened. If I had to carry an extra container I would want it as far forward and as close to my back as I could get it and dead center.

GaryL

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey guys, not wanting to hijack a great thread, but I've been riding Clear Cr/New Idria every time I pass thru en route to WA/Mexico. I have a very rusty MS in Geology; the serpentine group is fascinating. Well, first trip I happened upon one of the LEO's- and an hour long conversation resulted in him handing me what may be the last new copy of the out-of-print trails map. And gave me a long run-down on the area. Super nice guy. If someone is interested in more info, PM me and lets see what we can scare up.

I'll definitely be hitting the area again in late April or May en route north.

R

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No matter how you figure it, the best place for extra fuel is between your legs. The geometry of our bikes changes drastically when we add off centered heavy liquids anywhere else. If at all possible, center the extra fuel or use two containers of equal weight on either side. Loading your bike for a long adventure makes for a much more comfortable ride if you balance the weight forward and rear and right and left. Too much weight behind you and your front wheel will lose valuable contact in rough terrain. A gallon of fuel behind you weighs about 8 pounds but is multiplied a lot the further back it is fastened. If I had to carry an extra container I would want it as far forward and as close to my back as I could get it and dead center.

GaryL
If you look you will see the box is mounted sideways so the gas can is centered and as close to the rider as possible. :)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
just wondering if the hot sun will make the gas jug swell up alot being it's in a black box .
That might be something to pay attention to since the can will be on it's side and the cap, if unaltered from new, has a scored area to break away for the spout hole. I don't know how well those government approved spout/cap systems seal under pressure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That might be something to pay attention to since the can will be on it's side and the cap, if unaltered from new, has a scored area to break away for the spout hole. I don't know how well those government approved spout/cap systems seal under pressure.
I cut a 1/4" thick neoprene disk to replace the spout seal and provide a mechanically sound cap clamped by the compromised cap supplied. It seems to seal well and with the small 1 gallon jug I believe I can pour without a spout ( remains to be tested).

To address thermal expansion I plan to leave an air gap. It works for the MSR fuel bottles. Additionally the jug flexes some. Worst case any gas that leaks will be secoundarily contained. Almost all gas containers are no longer vented per the EPA.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts