TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I know that this aluminum stand is also available at Harbor Freight Tools, and it can be had for $39. Their steel stand is taller, and can be $29. Just an fyi in a stand thread.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
That's a neat stand but I don't get why a person would buy one other then used to oil a chain. You can't use it to tighten a chain or to remove the rear wheel. I don't have the room for items that are not more versatile.
That's a sharp Mustang you have there and I know what your talking about. Since I bought my TW I have lost the passion for my other hobbies. I didn't bay rockfish at all this year. When I heard the crabs were running I didn't get my crabbing boat out. Deer season opened on the 11th and I haven't been hunting. I just want to ride my TW.
Rick

·
Registered
667 Posts
That's a neat stand but I don't get why a person would buy one other then used to oil a chain. You can't use it to tighten a chain or to remove the rear wheel. I don't have the room for items that are not more versatile.
That's a sharp Mustang you have there and I know what your talking about. Since I bought my TW I have lost the passion for my other hobbies. I didn't bay rockfish at all this year. When I heard the crabs were running I didn't get my crabbing boat out. Deer season opened on the 11th and I haven't been hunting. I just want to ride my TW.
Rick
Good for checking oil level and also standing straight upright so you can park it right up against a wall.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick
Thanks
On a bike equipped with the proper spools the rear axel would be free of obstruction and adjustments to the wheel and chain would be possible. If I turn the supports around and place the square pegs under the swingarm it leaves the axel accessible but doesn't *quite* raise the tire free of the floor. I'm thinking of somehow adding to the diameter of the square pegs to gain the needed height

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
I too like cheap things...

CAM00585.jpg

It seemed like a good idea at the time, and while it does indeed function just fine, getting it into place is surprisingly difficult.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
A neighbor a couple of blocks over that passed away had a TW and one of these stands and I ended up with it. If I had known how easy it made things I would have bought one a long time ago. Anyway, he set it up as shown in the pictures and I have not changed a thing. The stand seems strong enough though at first I was concerned about that 1/4" X 1/4" piece of metal holding the weight and not bending. So far all has worked well.

P3120021.JPG

P3120023.JPG

And plenty of room for the back tire to spin freely. ( Or maybe "barely enough room for the rear tire to spin freely".)

P3120024.JPG

·
Registered
206 Posts
Got one of the HF versions, to steady the bike in upright position when working on certain things, change chain, etc. quick, easy to use & mine hangs up on the garage wall by the handle. Like it.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I use rear stands all the time dunno how I got along w/o them they make cleaning (pressure washing) the rear tire and wheel a snap and I use a triple tree stand in front. I often run the bike in gear before and after oil changes on TW's that have been sitting for years and the circulation really helps on bikes with dried out or stuck clutch packs

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I've had several paddock stands.

This is the one I'm currently using, purchased from Cyclegear.com, offered on sale for about $60 plus shipping, unless you have a Cyclegear store nearby.

http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-Rear-Paddock-Stand

I credit the stand for the longevity of my stock chain and sprockets.

Within a few minutes after ending each ride, the bike can be on the stand and the chain lubricated.

The only thing I don't like about this stand is the handle, which slides in and out.

It tends to slide out of the locking position. When time permits, I will add a bolt to keep the handle in the extended position.

jb

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have a ratchet strap attached to my garage door frame, which I used to use to lift my quad. I will have to try it with the TW (lighter than the quad).

·
Registered
762 Posts
I know that this aluminum stand is also available at Harbor Freight Tools, and it can be had for $39. Their steel stand is taller, and can be $29. Just an fyi in a stand thread.
I bought the same stand as the OP's post at Harbor Freight - $39. They didn't have the $29 special when I was in there.

I'm mostly pleased with the aluminum stand, except that it's a PITA to get it on there alone. Ideally, one person should hold the machine upright exactly, while you aim the lifter under the axle studs. Getting lined up with the TW on the heavily-angled sidestand, involves a juggling act, while that lifter with its rollers wants to scoot around. I'm guessing eventually I'll drop the bike trying to get it up.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I bought the same stand as the OP's post at Harbor Freight - $39. They didn't have the $29 special when I was in there.

I'm mostly pleased with the aluminum stand, except that it's a PITA to get it on there alone. Ideally, one person should hold the machine upright exactly, while you aim the lifter under the axle studs. Getting lined up with the TW on the heavily-angled sidestand, involves a juggling act, while that lifter with its rollers wants to scoot around. I'm guessing eventually I'll drop the bike trying to get it up.
You are correct that it's bit tricky to single handedly use the a paddock stand.

I use one of the front wheel chocks that holds the bike upright (also from Cycle Gear), then slide the paddock stand under the swing arm.

This is the Scout standing upright in the wheel chock.

I use one for the TW also, but don't have a photo of at hand.

jb

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Here's the front wheel stand/chock I use with the TW. Although I've used the rear paddock stand so many times, I really don't need to use it.

It's from Harbor Freight, about $60. US if you catch it on sale.

It does need to be on a flat, level surface. It tends to slide if the floor is too smooth.

It also takes up a lot of floor space.

I usually leave the kicksatand down....just in case, although I did not in the photo.

jb

1 - 20 of 23 Posts