TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be a wide variety of those inflators, ranging from $25 for the Slime (seems highly rated) to the high dollar Best Rest Cycle Pump for $130 or so. What do you gentlemen/ladies think or prefer? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I dislike the Slime type cheap-o pumps because they have a crap duty cycle. I like the Moto Pump, as seen in the video. They also now make a smaller version that appears to be good.

From the YouTube description...

2017·Here is my quick review of the Motopumps Mini Pro tire inflator designed and built for motorcycles by a rider.

Motopumps Mini Pro specs:

Pump Dimensions: 2″ x 4.75″ x 5.75″
Weight: 18oz
Main power cord with SAE plug 6.5′ reach
Combo Cigarette / BMW plug to SAE cord 3.5″ reach for a total of 10′
Durable Polyurethane 3′ Coiled Air Hose with Zero Loss Connector stores onboard.
50 PSI capacity, .5 cfm, integrated air cooling for long run times with no heat buildup.

Source: www.motopumps.com

ADV rider forum thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads...

On Amazon: http://amzn.to/2AyejmW

This is not sponsored, but a review of from an actual user that purchased this product.

Thanks for watching! If you like what what you see, please thumbs up and subscribe to let YouTube know. Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a Stop -n- Go tire repair kit (tubeless) in my Valkyrie. It has one of the cheapo mini air pumps that plugs into the battery tender connector. It is pretty chintzy and yes does have a limited duty cycle (believe it says 10 minutes constant operation max), but it takes about 5 minutes to air up one tire from flat, so it's not really a big deal. It's really for emergency use only, not something you'll be using daily in your shop so to me it gets a pass. It is very compact- maybe the size of two packs of cigs? For bikes with tubed tires like the TW I always just throw a little Slime in the tubes. At least if I get a nail or something it'll slow the leak sufficiently to ride it home and not get stuck on the side of the road.

The little CO2 can powered inflators are great for being light and compact, but they're single use.

They also make hoses that screw in place of the spark plug, and you can use engine compression to inflate the tire. They used to be a lot more common, now the compact 12v pumps and CO2 puffers seem to have largely replaced them.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Well if it's for your tires I certainly do not recommend the "Austin Powers" brand.

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
Thank both gentlemen.
I like the cheap ones since I can leave it untended on the bike for worry free hiking. If someone takes it no big deal. If I had the expensive model I would either have to worry or carry it; both options detracting from the primary goal of having fun adventures on the TW. Smart operation eliminates concern about overheating and a possible short duty cycle since I only use it on a motorcycle. Just a few minutes does the job.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have a German made super compact footpump in each vehicle. Lightweight and no battery needed. The one in the truck is a backup for a heavy duty (clamp direct to battery) electric.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I have couple of CyclePumps, a Slime pump, and a Milwaukee 12V battery powered inflator (in the truck). The Cyclepumps are great. Have had no issues with any of them. The Slime pump has been around since 2007 or so, and works very well.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have 2 of the slime kits - comes with slime and pump/ One on my ATV and one on the Dub. The one on the ATV has seen a lot of use on friends and mine over the years and has held up very well - not expensive but must be well designed.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Cyclepump. One of the more expensive ones at $100.00 but I got it as a gift and it came with a separate pressure gauge as well. about 10 years old and still ticking.

I think going from the cheaper to the more speedy units folks have to remember how small the compressor is in all and how hard it has to work. It you leave it on too long you will blow-it out/overheat it. For my sidecar rig I also keep a bicycle foot pump in the trunk.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have one of the cheap Harbor Freight yellow 12 v pumps. It has rattled around in the back seat of my truck for years and still manages to work. It took about 20 min to fill an RV trailer tire from 0 to 30 psi and the hose got so hot that I couldnt touch it. It was cheap but has worked in an emergency. It also is so loud that OSHA should require it come with free ear plugs and shakes so bad that i worry it will pop off of the tire stem. Well worth $8.

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
I discovered another advantage of a cheap pump yesterday, I was abler to chop it up guilt free to self-rescue my van.
After a 4 day New Years camp-n-ride by van had a dead battery. I was remote in a tight rockbound cul de sac so getting a jump start from another vehicle was out of the question, no one would have been able to get close.
So I cut off my pump's plug and wiring and trickle charged the van's battery for about 40 minutes with poor Betty Boop wailing away at about 6,000 rpm. Vise grips held the throttle open.
I used to have long pigtails with various plug interfaces to pull or push power out of the TW for a variety of uses but gave them all to Plumbstraight with another cheap air compressor.
( Another advantage of the cheap compressor, you can give them away to friends;)).

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have the MICRO-START TP1 from Antigravity Batteries. It was about $30 CND. I have had her about 4 years and it still works.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
We're hijacking the thread here a little but I'm tempted to figure out whether or not I could wire in an extra battery for when the system is perhaps overcharging a bit. Could be useful for a variety of things at camp with the right wiring. There are different ways of doing this but I dunno much about modern batteries. More research is required.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I usually take a couple of C02 cartridges and the little inflator nozzle that came with them (Slime) but have never had to use it yet.
It seems smaller and lighter to pack than a pump.

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
We're hijacking the thread here a little but I'm tempted to figure out whether or not I could wire in an extra battery for when the system is perhaps overcharging a bit. Could be useful for a variety of things at camp with the right wiring. There are different ways of doing this but I dunno much about modern batteries. More research is required.

Three possible approaches come to mind:
1) direct replacement of wet cell with comparable LiFePo4 battery, delivers a higher percentage of rated charge.
2) above battery takes just a fraction of available battery box volume so why not get a larger LiFePo4 battery that fills the available volume but with a much higher amp-hour rating.
3) cheapest and most versatile option is a stand alone LiVePo4 jump start battery pack. 50 bucks can get you a 20 amp hour pack that can give you 300 amps and can be used for many purposes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts