TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to buy a couple inner tubes and that opened up a can of worms.
We have Standard, Heavy Duty and Extra Heavy Duty with multiple company's manufacturing tubes.
I want the best deal I can find with free shipping.
My questions are:
Does the manufacturer matter?
Extra heavy duty tubes weighs in at 4 lbs are they to heavy?
I'm thinking heavy duty tubes would be my best choice.
What tube did you buy?

Correct me if I'm wrong
Front 180/80/14
Rear 110/100/18
The TR6 valve has an oval base that is attached to the inner tube. The TR4 is round. No other differences.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Don't get standard tubes as i've punctured 2 of them during reassembly with my noob skills. I haven't punctured a heavy duty during reassembly yet.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I bought Bridgestone tubes for spares in my garage. I thought about the HD's but didn't want the weight. I got a nail last year in the rear tire and ended up patching the tube because the not so local dealer didn't have one in stock. I used a can of slime sealer / inflater to get me home (12 miles) with air to spare. I don't think a thicker tube is going to help prevent most punctures.

My riding on the TW is close to home so I'm not so worried about flats as much as people going further, but I do have a set of tubes in my garage.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I agree with SHAG. I buy Bridgestone myself, and I considered HD tubes at one time but realized that all of the punctures I have had, a few extra mils of rubber would not have made a difference, because the offending object would have compromised even the HD tubes.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Don't get standard tubes as i've punctured 2 of them during reassembly with my noob skills. I haven't punctured a heavy duty during reassembly yet.
True story. Most things that get passed knobs and through tire are not going to be slowed down by thicker tubes. But I will buy them for the reduced chance of pinching them.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Agreed, it's all about the pinch flats with HD tubes. In MI, I use good quality standard, but I don't run low pressure (about 14 lbs rear, 12 front currently).

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
thick natural rubber construction helps resist pinch flats and is easier to patch than butyl rubber

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pro cycle is expensive, Bike Bandit has good prices but you have to spend $100 to receive free shipping. Amazon has good prices You just need to know exactly what You want and part numbers help.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I bought mine on e bay. Shouldn't be hard to find at price that works. Don't get all caught up in the marketing hype. I just use liquid dish soap on the bead when mounting and have not had a problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just purchased this along w/a shinko 244, awaiting delivery. It's a std tube, I didn't want the extra weight of a HD tube...

Kenda 05185720 450/510-18 (110/120/100-18) Motorcycle Tube with TR-6 Valve
by Kenda
Price: $14.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $35. Details
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Straight metal valve stem

·
Super Moderator
4,706 Posts
Went for standard weight, apparently the heavier tubes are "noticeable", and i'm not sure how much good they'd be

On a side note - if you're pinching your tubes, take a look at this youtube vid - never tried it but it looks interesting - action starts at the 8 min mark

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Have you got a good source for them in TW sizes?
Real Rubber.
Moose Racing Heavy Duty Tube
Heavy-duty tubes made specifically for off-road and motocross
German-made, these are the sturdiest, highest-quality tubes on the market
3mm thick natural rubber construction helps resist pinch flats
Include mini applications
All have center metal stem (TR-4)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts