TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my tinman sideracks earlier this week and took a few minutes to put them on. I dont think I will ever take them off except for doing maintenance so I replaced the hand knob nuts (or whatever you call them) with regular nuts. Dont have bags to put on them yet but will soon. The entire cyclerack/tinman rack is so solid its as if its one with the bike. I like em a lot. Oh, got something else from him he wanted me to try out, can you guess what it is? :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
No, I can't guess. But I can't wait to find out! Can I assume that Mr. Tinman is selling his racks again? Last I knew he was on hiatus, or sabbatical, or something like that. In other words, he had to catch up. I have a set, but have now acquired another TW for my wife, so may need another . . .

·
Super Moderator
17,631 Posts
Got my tinman sideracks earlier this week and took a few minutes to put them on. I dont think I will ever take them off except for doing maintenance so I replaced the hand knob nuts (or whatever you call them) with regular nuts. Dont have bags to put on them yet but will soon. The entire cyclerack/tinman rack is so solid its as if its one with the bike. I like em a lot. Oh, got something else from him he wanted me to try out, can you guess what it is? :)

I would venture to say it is a center stand prototype... :) Did I get it right? ;)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Spill it already!

·
Registered
262 Posts
My guess would also be the tool tube mount. Who makes your tank bag?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I did ask him, he said he wanted me to give an honest review, good or bad so I assumed that was the ok to say something about it.

Yes its the tool tube bracket. He was thinking WAY outside of the box on this one, I would have never thought about mounting it like this. The tube is mounted to a thick aluminum plate. The plate mounts with 2 bolts that are trapped in a "slot" that is created by the 2 frame tubes under the left rear plastics. Kind of hard to explan, Ill try to take better pics.

He gave no instructions on how to mount it. He wanted to see how hard it would be for others to figure it out. It took a little head scratching but its pretty obvious it can only go one way, its shaped to fit. Its a fairly sturdy mount thats protected by his side racks. If you have bags mounted on his racks the lid of the tube will be difficult to get to. Ive only tested it on the street (25 miles :) ) But I think it will hold up well.

The tank bag is a nelson rigg. I bought it hoping my tablet would fit in the map pocket............it does not :( Im not sure yet but I think Ill be getting some nelson rigg dry bags too.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Well I did ask him, he said he wanted me to give an honest review, good or bad so I assumed that was the ok to say something about it.

Yes its the tool tube bracket. He was thinking WAY outside of the box on this one, I would have never thought about mounting it like this. The tube is mounted to a thick aluminum plate. The plate mounts with 2 bolts that are trapped in a "slot" that is created by the 2 frame tubes under the left rear plastics. Kind of hard to explan, Ill try to take better pics.

He gave no instructions on how to mount it. He wanted to see how hard it would be for others to figure it out. It took a little head scratching but its pretty obvious it can only go one way, its shaped to fit. Its a fairly sturdy mount thats protected by his side racks. If you have bags mounted on his racks the lid of the tube will be difficult to get to. Ive only tested it on the street (25 miles :) ) But I think it will hold up well.

The tank bag is a nelson rigg. I bought it hoping my tablet would fit in the map pocket............it does not :( Im not sure yet but I think Ill be getting some nelson rigg dry bags too.
What size tablet are you trying to fit?

Tom

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My old Galaxy Tab 10.1. I went off the dimensions of the bag assuming the map pocket would be the same dimension......its not :(

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
My old Galaxy Tab 10.1. I went off the dimensions of the bag assuming the map pocket would be the same dimension......its not :(
I have a map pocket for my tank bag that I do not use. How does your map pocket mount to the bag? Is it permanent or removable? I can measure mine and if it fits you are welcome to it.

Tom

·
Registered
503 Posts
glad to see it all installed well for you.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a map pocket for my tank bag that I do not use. How does your map pocket mount to the bag? Is it permanent or removable? I can measure mine and if it fits you are welcome to it.

Tom
Nope, non removable :)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Nope, non removable :)
:( Smaller tablet maybe? I have a Samsung 8" tablet that works very well and they can be purchased new far cheaper than a dedicated GPS.

Tom

·
Registered
285 Posts
This thread has rather forked (pun intended!).

First, regarding tablets, for those who navigate with them let me recommend Maps.me. It's free and is simply an Android (and there is an iOS version) front end for Open Street Map. OSM is, as it sounds, an open-source (that means free, both as in free beer and as in free speech) crowd-sourced (that means that people contribute to it, like Wikipedia) set of maps for the whole world. I've used OSM in various places around the US and in Thailand, Grenada, the Cayman Islands, Costa Rica and Belize and it is amazingly accurate. The best thing about Maps.me is that one downloads the needed maps to the tablet (or phone) at home and then in the boonies no data connection is needed, as all the data is already on the device.

I've also installed one of Tinman Tim's new tool tube mounts. I decided it deserved its own thread, which is here. But to answer oilhed's question, no, it needs nothing except a TW to bolt it up to. Tinman even included the tool tube!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went ahead and paid a few bucks for back country navigator. Has a bit of a learning curve but I like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts