TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of replacing the front drum brake of my off-road TW with a disc brake, I purchased a 320mm (12.6 inch) brake disc from tw-parts.com.

I received it today and... what can I say, it's magnificent!

Here it is with some more ingredients for a TW that actually brakes: custom-made adapter for the brake caliper and a braided steel brake line.

Before I can install the TW125 fork and wheel that I got, I need to replace the steering bearings, but I think the bike should (finally!) be ready by Sunday.

I will post the rest of this "disquerisation" process (as we call it on the French forum!) as I go along.

And now I'll have to stop grinning.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
WOW. Can't wait to see how it works out.

Josh

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The disc is made by GoldFren, a Czech manufacturer, according to Macbig's specs (so I think).

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought Xracer meant the caliper adapter bracket.

oh, then yes, I guess Macbig has them made in Germany.

(to be honest I didn't even know what "shims" were before reading it here
)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what the rotor looks like on the wheel:

And on the bike:

·
Registered
614 Posts
That looks like some serious braking. I want to see a photo of you doing some stoppies now, supermoto style.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I'm very pleased with this mod, will have to wait a bit more to test it as the caliper I got is really crappy, but I will post my impressions as soon as I can for those interested.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Dang, that's purty.

Be careful grabbing yer first handfull.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I agree with everyone...that looks very cool. We are all looking forward to hearing about your test ride.

·
Registered
567 Posts
That rotor would be destroyed at the first rocky creek crossing where I ride, nice street brake but I wouldn't want that on my offroad scoot

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's okay, I enjoy comments of all kinds - unlike some of our extreme tuners

You caught me... to be honest, this is mainly for the looks and to be safer around town.

The only "off-road" I have done in 7 years of TW riding are a few large and flat gravel roads. I would like to learn something about off-road riding because I think it must be fun and very useful to improve one's riding skills, but here it's quite hard to find places that are open to motor vehicles. And to tell you the complete truth, I'd rather go trekking and enjoy silence and nature

If I ever engage in serious off-road riding I will cover that rotor or put on a spare stock one that I have, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Now all you need is an ABS system so you don't go down in a panic stop. Maybe a bank of LED stop lights out the back so the car in back doesn't plow into you when you stop on a dime. Yikes!!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ABS... good idea

I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks that the TW stock brake is far from ideal... Maybe it's because I ride in a chaotic Italian city and not in a remote desert or mountain area.

And now that I think about it, this rotor would have been so useful in Paris... the scariest place I've ever ridden into

1 - 20 of 29 Posts