TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got both the bikes at the cabin now. With my wife being an insurance exec, we're trying to figure out the best insurance for guest riders. We upped our umbrella coverage to $5 million, but are concerned with our m/c carrier (different than our homeowners which has the umbrella coverage) jacking the rates up for guest riders. Anyone have this kind of coverage? Wife thinks we need a $500k policy on the bikes for the umbrella coverage to stick in case of a lawsuit. F-ed up world we live in...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Yeah steve, we live in Ca. My wife is a court clerk. I hear too many court horror stories. You got to cover yer ass!

The law of the universe seems to dictate that if we buy the extra insurance, then nothing will ever happen while guests are using your bikes. (That has some kind of $$ value right there.) But if the unthinkable happens, at least you can prove that you were being thy brother’s keeper, which is about the only good defense in a Ca. court. m.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Allowing anyone to ride your motorcycle is bad policy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 2...one for the wife and buddies who come up to hunt, fish or(hopefully) ride.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So here's what we ended up doing:

Increase our m/c coverage to $250k/$500k (from $100k/$300k). This allows our umbrella policy, which is with our homeowners policy carrier, to kick in in case of "the big one". We also had to add the bikes to our umbrella policy. Total cost is about $90 per year on top of our regular m/c coverage.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So funny how this differs from state to state.

No Fault here so its a bit different, unless you talking about liability on your property.

Glad you got it figured out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts