TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Washington just passed another law that motorcycles have to have insurance now I checked in with my insurance company. I thought it was very reasonable. For the goldwing and the kawasaki it was 247 each for the year, the tw was 17 dollars for liability only. I think I can get by with that. For the others that was full coverage.

·
Super Moderator
4,739 Posts
I’ve managed to get a policy that “mirrors” coverage. In the past, the Mercs was £630 (two years no claims), the Honda £250 (with over 10 years no claims). With the mirrored coverage, I get both cars for £630. As I’m about to scrap the Honda, I expect the cost to drop to £430 just for the Mercs

It’s worth shopping around to find out if you can get this “two for the price of the highest” , turns out it’s quite common over here, though seldom advertised …….

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Ohio Full Coverage for the TW has been $100 per year since I purchased Ol' Blue in 2014....with Nationwide Insurance...of course I've been with them since 1966 which helps I am sure...:cool:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Here in BC................................................it costs over $1000/yr for BASIC insurance for my DR650. By "basic" I mean 3rd party liability only. Any fire, theft, collision or vandalism insurance is above and beyond the basic premium.
This is why I only insure my DR for about 5 to 6 months of the year....and this is why it has such low mileage. Under 20,000 for a 2010.
Since the TW falls below the 400cc cutoff, it is HALF the cost to insure for the full year.

The downside to government owned and controlled insurance....

·
Registered
604 Posts
Nevada requires full coverage on motorcycles and RV's. Paid off or not. Of course we are a 24hr state.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here in NB full coverage for my TW adds about $250 CAD to my truck and house insurance bill.

TW_in_BC - I hear you! I spent 18 months in BC in 91/92 and it cost me over $2500/yr then for full coverage on my 91 Ranger. The joys of a government insurance program and being a male under 25....

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I budget for $6000 a year to insure all my toys in BC: truck, car, Wee and DT and sometimes another bike.
Insurance is also more in the lower mainland than in other parts of the province.
The TW and DT get very little in coverage and it is now over $500 for each.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Washington State was selected as Best State in America by US News.....and it is beautiful and has about every thing from salt water to glaciers but this just annoys me....

The nanny government in Olympia is getting to me....I have never bought insurance for anything except a home and a automobile …..and have never had a claim...

I am thinking screw them …...and that the chances of me being caught are very low...…. given I seldom ride on public roads ...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Washington State was selected as best by USA Today.....and it is beautiful and has about every thing from salt water to glaciers but this just annoys me....

The nanny government in Olympia is getting to me....I have never bought insurance for anything except a home and a automobile …..and have never had a claim...

I am thinking screw them …...and that the chances of me being caught are very low...…. given I seldom ride on public roads ...
So true, but for the relief of not having to worry about it is worth it to me. 500 for two big cruisers full coverage and 17 for liability for the TW gives me peace of mind. I use State Farm for my insurance needs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm paying $278/year for 2 TW's and an FZR400, full coverage. It was less, but I added my 20-something daughter when I got the second TW, and that was only another $50. I'm told our zip code is in the lowest tier for losses, which surely helps. Geico.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I am not a fan of insurance extortion either, but my position on this is: "What if I hit and hurt someone"...a fender -bender is one thing, but if I maim and/or cripple someone I am liable, so there goes my house, my investments, my pension.....

Yeah, it's a tough pill to swallow sometimes.......

·
Registered
209 Posts
BC means "bring cash".....

Not to mention that we have some of the most idiotic drivers on the planet....
Lol….I though that was just me....I was driving about 65 mph (more than I want in a motorhome) between Edmonton and Hinton and I damn near got driven off the road.... seemed like every 3/4 ton diesel pickup was being driven by some rich 25 year old roughneck at about 85 mph …..and to hell with the Bison or Elk or the Grizzly Bears eating the road kill.....those boys were in a hurry !!!

Of course that was Alberta but BC was about the same between Kelowna and Merritt...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Lol….I though that was just me....I was driving about 65 mph (more than I want in a motorhome) between Edmonton and Hinton and I damn near got driven off the road.... seemed like every 3/4 ton diesel pickup was being driven by some rich 25 year old roughneck at about 85 mph …..and to hell with the Bison or Elk or the Grizzly Bears eating the road kill.....those boys were in a hurry !!!

Of course that was Alberta but BC was about the same between Kelowna and Merritt...
between Merrit and Kelowna was also Albertans, they are everywhere in the summer, full of " ME ME ME " attitude on our roads

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'am paying 129$ for full coverage on the tw Plumb, thru progressive. Interesting, I have geico for cars and truck, but they won't insure bike. Same with Costco, before I switched to geico. Yep cheap for peace of mind and cya in case hit something or someone.Could come around a corner and run into somebody else. Insurance companies willl always try to weasel out. But hopefully keep from winding up in the poor farm

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Geico won't insure the bike? I'm in WA also and have Geico for my van and both bikes? I pay 200 a year for both bikes.
I'am paying 129$ for full coverage on the tw Plumb, thru progressive. Interesting, I have geico for cars and truck, but they won't insure bike. Same with Costco, before I switched to geico. Yep cheap for peace of mind and cya in case hit something or someone.Could come around a corner and run into somebody else. Insurance companies willl always try to weasel out. But hopefully keep from winding up in the poor farm

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When asked how much I ride my 95 TW and I told them it has 2950 mi on it I think they gave me storage lol. 17 buck for liability is nice.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
BC is introducing a low mileage insurance (under 5 000 km a year), but you need to take a picture of your odometer when your insurance comes due and then again the next year. Not good enough to say I have a 96 with 14 000 km.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BC is introducing a low mileage insurance (under 5 000 km a year), but you need to take a picture of your odometer when your insurance comes due and then again the next year. Not good enough to say I have a 96 with 14 000 km.
They are easy to unplug the speedo shaft lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts