TW200 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past couple weeks I've been slowly restoring my '87. At first I didnt mind it because of all the snow we've been getting but since the nice weather has rolled in I want to get this over with!

I was about to order a new intake boot as mine had been repaired by the PO and it just split as I was removing the carb. $46! YEA RIGHT! So I pulled mine apart. It has been repaired using some kind of epoxy type of deal. I just put the metal tab in a nice and chipped the epoxy away with a hammer and flathead.

Once I got it apart I could see its just a cast metal base with a rubber tube bonded to it. I chipped off the bigger pieces of epoxy and used an Xacto knife to shave everything down to bare metal. *Note To Self* Why didnt I buy myself a Dremel years ago? Could have saved a ton of time with one on this project.

I measured everything so I could go on ebay searching for a boot off a different bike/atv. I came up with nothing.

I think I will epoxy/weld a metal tube to the base so I can simply slip a rubber hose over it and secure either end with a hose clap. If I did this I could just replace the hose once it shrinks or gets hard over time. Of course this is harder than my other idea. Idea #2 is trying to epoxy/glue a rubber hose right to the metal. A lot simpler but not as good.

I think you should be able to get to the folder with the rest of the pictures which I will add as I move along with the project. Here are a few dimensions for starters.

IMG_3727 by BC4Lyphe, on Flickr

IMG_3725 by BC4Lyphe, on Flickr

Note- the angle of the intake is built into the metal base

IMG_3722 by BC4Lyphe, on Flickr

IMG_3735 by BC4Lyphe, on Flickr

Note- the diameter of the metal intake tapers in by about 0.350"

IMG_3733 by BC4Lyphe, on Flickr

62mm spacing

IMG_3729 by BC4Lyphe, on Flickr

The familiar M6x1.0 screw holds intake to cylinder

IMG_3728 by BC4Lyphe, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Looks like you're on the right track. Let us know what you come up with. I bit the bullet and bought a Dremel last year. It saved me tons of time and money and should have bought one years ago. Keep up the good work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts