TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2006 TW200, non-CA, with about 6700 miles. I adjusted the valves in to spec about 800 miles ago. Two days ago I took a short trip on it that involved doing 65-70mph for about 15 min at a time. Last night, I was riding for about 15 minutes when a loud ticking was heard. I removed the intake valve cover to find the lock nut was missing and the rocker arm was slapping the top of the valve. First my question is why did this happen and how do I prevent it from happening again? Second, I cannot find the lock nut. It is somewhere in the motor. I inspected the head thoroughly to no avail and drained the oil to find nothing. When I adjusted the valve tappet back closer, I turned the engine with no spark and it seems all noise was normal so I think I saved it from any damage, I just need that nut out. How do you guys recommend moving forward with this? I appreciate the help and I'm ready to get the baby running again! Thanks again!

Kyle

EDIT: After replacing the tappet and lock nut what else needs to be replaced? The rocker arm looks in great shape though I can see where it donated a small amount of material to the valve stem/retainer area.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
You need to find it. Sometimes you get lucky. Remove the left sidecover first, then go from there.

It came loose cuz you didnt torque it down enough.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I found it in one of the oil passages from the head down to the cylinder. I basically fished around with a magnet attached to some wire until I caught it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to find it. Sometimes you get lucky. Remove the left sidecover first, then go from there.

It came loose cuz you didnt torque it down enough.
Really? Even after 800 miles?? I did a lot of high revving on trails and the occasional WOT jaunts since then... I can't imagine it took that long.

Same thing happened to me. I found it in one of the oil passages from the head down to the cylinder. I basically fished around with a magnet attached to some wire until I caught it.

I think I'm gonna use this as as excuse to do the base gasket finally. I really think it's in the head. No reasoning behind it, just a hunch

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
For prevention of the above happening,is it acceptable to use Locktite or even a product like Hondabond or Yamaha's equivilant on the screw threads?. TIA.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Possibly. But I doubt that it would have much effect for very long due to the heat. Best plan is to torque properly.

And if you can't be bothered with "properly" the correct amount of torque is "tighter than last time".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts