TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I notice when I got my TW (a new 2016), I found some issues when upshifting. I would pull the clutch in and shift up, let the clutch out and the bike would still be in the same gear. For a time I though I was not hitting the the shifter hard enough....but then I started paying attention and it only happens from 2nd to 3rd. This doesn't happen all the time, maybe 1:15 times and sometimes it take a few tries to get it into 3rd. What on earth could this be since it is only from 2nd to 3rd? A TW riding friend is going to help me with my first service, but I am wondering if I should consider taking it to dealer if there is something else going on. It is under warranty.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That is weird. I don't know what it could be. Not that familar with working on the transmission. What if your clutch is still a little sticky?and not releasing all the time? WAGs maybe it will clear up over time. I know you can shift with out the clutch which makes this weird. Any way you might want to tell your dealer about it now and document your problem.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Sounds like bent shift fork probably. Could also be shift shaft, gear detent, shift drum, worn dog gears. You'd have to take it apart and have a look to be sure.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Lynlee; as it is a new bike (month or two old); other than checking to make sure nothing visible on the exterior is the problem (like shifter contacting the case as stated) -- I would take it to the dealer you bought it from (at least to document the problem like Tweaker mentioned) BEFORE you and your friend do the first service. Just so the dealer cannot say that anything that you do could have caused a problem.

Brand new bike - their problem under warranty. And documented if they can't find anything and it is a further problem down the road.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the great ideas. The oil level is fine, bike has less than 400 miles. Very good advice about having it looked at by a dealer before I do a self first service. Knowing my luck it will not have the issue when I take it in (although it did 3 times on 30 min of riding today), but at the very least it is documented. It hasn't been dropped so if something is bent or damage, it came that way ��

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Try a different shoe / boot just for the heck of it. The shift cam moves further from 1st to 2nd than the rest of the shifts because neutral is in the middle. Just try it

Reactions: Ken
1 - 12 of 12 Posts