TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't own a TW200, but my daughter does. She got her temporary motorcycle permit 6-months ago at age 15-1/2 (legal age in Ohio), the same time she got her driver's permit. She spent the next few months on the road, riding my Honda Elite 250. It was not that cool and she wanted something else, but I believe it was the perfect teaching tool. Automatic, not that she can't handle a clutch (she can) but that's one less thing to worry about when the world is out to kill you. We spruced it up. Made it less uncool, but... it still wasn't cool.

I see a lot of kids these days getting pretty cars with bows on the them for their 16th birthday. This 15yr/old made the tough decision between bike or car for her first vehicle, and she bought it last Monday, for herself for her birthday, with her own money. She turned 16 last Wednesday. Yes, I'm proud.

It's a 93 model, so it doesn't have a trip meter. She keeps track of her miles at fill ups with a grease pen, a trick learned from the previous owner.

She is petite and sat on one a couple years ago, but it was not as low as she expected. We have been window shopping for about a year now, she's not a cruiser gal, she likes adventure, and the TW200 kept coming up as the logical choice. They don't come up on the market that often though, and when they do... they're typically way out of reach. A good friend of mine recently purchased a new dual-sport for herself, and cut us a deal on her TW. My daughter has adapted to it quickly. Like she was born in the saddle. Still inexperienced, but learning quick. She is a high school Sophomore but taking class at the local college as a Freshman. She plans to use this as her commuter bike, when it is appropriate. Her high school has already given her the thumb up (we had to ask, just to be sure) and there is motorcycle parking on campus. Of course, she plans to use it for adventure too.

Why am I here?

Well, it's parked in my garage next to my bikes. I'm going to be the support crew. I need a good online resource and community support. I also like it and wouldn't mind having one myself. She might sign up for an account herself, at a later date.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Well that's just płain awesome! Both of you are more than welcome here. This is a very diverse and knowledgeable group. Welcome aboard!

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Welcome!! :D

Nice to see dad's taught her well and she's wearing good safety gear right out of the gate!! ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
This is all great and I wish you lived in my neighborhood!
Why the grease pen?
Want to know MPG?
Hers has a front drum and a kick starter, Easy to maintain, Just should know how to keep up on the front adjustments and take a peak at the shoes once in a while,
Nice bikes,
Like other here, We have the TW and something bigger, Or way bigger,
Maybe I am an oddball, But I west a bright green or orange vest while riding, Its an extra measure to ensure folks see me, Seems to help too,
Stay safe!
Peter B

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Welcome to both you and your daughter!

Looks like she's found a nice TW and is already putting it to good use. There is a lot of good info here on the forum but sometimes it can be hard to find, so feel free to ask questions. I grew up in central Ohio (Delaware) and went to school in southwest Ohio (Miami University), so I know the types of roads that you have around there. The TW will be a great bike for her!

Brian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why the grease pen?
Just keeping track of how far she is going since the last fill up.

I personally will go until my bike(s) hit reserve or the low fuel light comes on, but we're learning the range of the TW and not teaching any bad habits yet. ;) Previous owner mentioned a somewhat restricted flow on reserve, so I may have a clogged screen or something. I'll get to it later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like she's found a nice TW and is already putting it to good use. There is a lot of good info here on the forum but sometimes it can be hard to find, so feel free to ask questions. I grew up in central Ohio (Delaware) and went to school in southwest Ohio (Miami University), so I know the types of roads that you have around there. The TW will be a great bike for her!
She is currently taking classes at the Hamilton campus of Miami University, but still being a high school student may be jumping around to different locations and schools over the next year depending on what suits her wants/needs.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I've keep pestering my 26 yr. old daughter to get her permit and go riding with her favorite daddy. She lives just 2 miles down the road but is married with 3 kids 5 yrs. and under at home. Maybe this year she'll get the permit and her hubby or Grandma could watch the kids so we could do a little riding. She's not a cruiser type girl either. She's the "spin mud on Daddy" type of girl!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
she bought it last Monday, for herself for her birthday, with her own money. She turned 16 last Wednesday. Yes, I'm proud.
Tell her that there are people on here (I'm sure there are more than me) that believe this fact makes a BIG statement about her as a young woman (or any person) and reflects well on you as a parent also.
Well done, both of you.
And get used to the fact that - you ARE going to end up getting one also.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Welcome, WittTom and Daughter! She picked a great first motorcycle that will become a favorite, long after she thinks she wants a bigger bike. Personally, I have two scooters and two motorcycles, and find the TW has become my favorite ride by far.
As another woman rider, I love how helpful everyone is here. They've taught me so much about the bike, how to care for it, and what to realistically expect. Hope she joins the forum.

Love her sense of style with all the stickers on the cowling. :D Customization is always fun!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The only thing I can tell her about riding on the Street, is just consider every car / pickup driver as someone who is out to run over you. Old people and teen drivers are the worst!! More people are killed from cell phone use while driving than about any other cause.
I am old but also a bike and MC rider, so I watch out for those riders.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It nice to see young women riding TDubs. This a great forum and she can learn a lot about fixing up and maintaining her bike. Welcome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do her the favor and get her involved in the maintenance and upkeep, it'll serve her well in the future!
All of my kids (19/16/12) have ridden with me as a passenger on the street since they've been able to reach the pegs, have minibike/dirtbike experience, and have gone on week-long ATV excursions. They have all also been involved in maintenance and basic mechanical repairs. My 19yr/old (now in her 2nd year in college), although probably the best passenger I've ever had, found that street bikes were not her thing when she turned 16 and did not pursue it. It was probably a good thing, but maybe later. She bought her first car when she was 18, after living on campus for a couple months and feeling the need to be more mobile. She can change a flat tire, but pays my 12yr/old to perform oil/filter changes. Lydia (my 16yr/old TW200 gal) is the first to go down the street bike path. She's not particularly EAGER to her her hands dirty, but she can and she does when she needs to. My 12yr/old.... well, it's a different story all together and I may have my hands full when he turns 16 (or 15-1/2).

;)

Changing the oil in his sister's car:

Here's my youngest (in 2014), teaching his sister Lydia how to change the oil in her dirtbike.....

...and changing the oil in his:

My wife doesn't have the opportunity to ride with me too often, but we're pretty much a motorcycle family. The addition of the TW200 is a new chapter. We've already discussed what the future will hold for this TW. We all love it, but I think Lydia is going to outgrow is faster than I anticipated. She doesn't have the NEED for more SPEED just yet, but she has already set some supervised land speed records on it. Who knows, she might keep it and ADD to her collection, or maybe when my 12yr/old becomes of age, he'll buy it off of her (I think he already has his eye on it). Time will tell. I don't for see it leaving the garage anytime soon.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Many of us have sold our TW's in the past only to regret it at some point in time and buy another. My advice is to not ever sell it but just add to the collection. I'm betting some day you will find yourself enjoying riding it also like the rest of us here. Presently, I've found I need a minimum of three bikes in the garage in order to cover all riding opportunities, trail, adventure and long haul highway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts