TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TW has been on my "going to own" list for some years. Well thanks to William for buying My R6 and Tom from Craigslist passing through town I am now the pleased owner of a 2004 with a paltry 1500 miles. IMG_0461.jpg IMG_0460.jpg

It has the california can on the side there, well "patinaed" racks front and back, artfully curved levers and mirrors on both sides, and a completely dead battery. Overall I'm pleased as punch.
It is obvious that this poor little bike has sat neglected and unused out in the weather. As a function over looks kind of guy I'll fix all of the bent parts, check all the bearings and other moving parts, but will likely leave the finish as is. Living in the southern Nevada desert rust is a non issue. The Previous owner claims the he had it jetted for 10,000 feet (thinks it has a 117 main) so that might need checking. With a little push it jumps right to life and purrs like a kitten. Ive ordered the levers and a lithium battery off of amazon.
Took her out for a shake down run yesterday. 52 miles out into the Parashant (grand canyon) national monument area. Mix of gravel, sand, rocky, and steep roads. And then turned around and road back. Not sure just what kind of range the tank would give me I didn't want to push it. Back in town (Mesquite NV.) The odometer said 85.4 miles and It took 1.13 gallons of gas, 75.5 MPG over rough terrain and 7000 foot change in elevation. WOOT.
I've ridden these same trails on my 92 BMW GS but this was way more fun. The GS will do it, but it is all work. The TW just made it fun.
I bought this bike thinking that my kids were getting old enough to go riding with me. Humm.. this just may be dads play bike, sorry kids.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome! Looks like a nice bike, just needs a dust off! Any info you need it's all on the forum you can just search or ask!

Reactions: mudbug and TWilight

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Payed $2k for it so I think it was fair. Not a screemin' deal, but fair for the little bit of TLC that it needs. The clincher was the low miles. 1500 nearly nothing. As with anything it is worth just exactly how much you want it.
The previous owner told me that it was part of a his and hers set. Looks to me like there may have been some swapping between the two. The racks have obviously seen more miles that the rest of the bike. i would guess at least 10ish years older.

Reactions: mudbug

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to our home away from home sponge. Sounds like you did your homework and got exactly what you were looking for. Congratulations. Check back often and let us know which of your bikes odometers are gaining the most miles.

Tom

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome aboard!! Nice bike, neat condition! icon_thumbup.gif

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Mike, is very particular about his "spelling". He "usually" is a pretty nice guy, so you better not tease him, we haven't seen his "mad" side.... ;)

Reactions: TWilight and mudbug

·
Registered
297 Posts
Oh, and I don't want to-him being a nuclear scientist with and MD, LOOK OUT! ......:confused::D He's probably got thumbs the size of carrots, (like me) and typing on a touch-screen devise, and the two just don't mix. I back up and fix things more than I type forward! No harm intended, Mike....:D

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Hiker,or is that TWiker, it may be a late 03 as the tank and color are the same as my 03. Graphics might be a bit different but that is it. I bought mine in the early part of the year so it might be a late one that they called an 04.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The lithium battery came. wow, that thing is tiny and impossibly light. the yuasa was 6.6 lbs. the Li. is 1.1 lbs. The slosh battery wa ~$38. A sealed AGM was ~$45. the Lithium was ~$68. (all on amazon) I thought the box must be empty. They claim 5X life and much lower(5% of lead acid) self discharge rate. The Lit that came with the battery also said that it can be charged at 10A. cool. /comes with a bunch of foam blocks to take up extra space in the battery box.
This is the 120 CCA battery compared to the 124 from the Yuasa. I put it on the charger and it took about 5 amps for about 15 min then dropped to near nothing. Put it in the bike and it fired right up.
518uDwYT1mL._AC_SY220_.jpg
Hope it lives up to the hype.
On a related topic I look at all that now extra space in the battery box and thinking about what I could put in there. Flat repair kit maybe, spark plug, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
.....The Lit that came with the battery also said that it can be charged at 10A. cool.
Hope it lives up to the hype.
Don't believe everything you read in the literature! I would NEVER charge a small battery like that at 10 amps! I would not charge it at 5 amps, either. TWO amps would be a good maximum. There are two wonderful things about LiPO4 batteries: They are VERY light, as you noticed, and they self discharge at a VERY low rate. HOWEVER, the fine print that no-one reads nor even publishes is that that low discharge rate REQUIRES that ZERO current flows between the terminals. The only way to ensure this is to disconnect the terminals for long term storage.

The TW is great in that department because it has almost no parasitic draw, but NOT zero. If you store your bike for 6 months in the winter with this battery, you would be well advised to take the battery out, clean the top even if it looks perfectly dry, and store it in some cool dry place and TRICKLE CHARGE IT ONCE EVERY THREE MONTHS! Or just do it once a month in the bike. I speak from bitter experience. I killed my expensive Lithium battery the first winter because I did not take into account the parasitic draw, which only amounted to a couple dozen milliamps. (this was not in a TW, but the moral is the same.)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so the previous owner said that he took it to a shop and had it jetted for 10000 feet. thought it might have a117 main jet. So having found from the tech section that you can take the throttle cables off and rotate the carb in place on the bike,(awesome litlle trick). i pulled the bowl and got out my old man readers and found a 125 main in there. Am I right in thinking that is stock for a Cali bike?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts