TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family likes to camp. We have a fifth wheel, and we try to take a long trip every summer. I like to explore areas, especially dirt roads that lead to 4x4 trails ... but the 1 ton diesel does not make a very good exploration vehicle. Also, my wife will take the truck and kids to go do some activities during the day while I work from the trailer. This leaves me without transportation. It would also be nice to have a TW for a quick run to the local ACE (diesel does not do well for short driving cycles). I have been searching for a while to find a capable, street legal vehicle that I can easily transport on our trips. All of my searching led me to the TW 200 and this site.

I've been learning a ton while reading through this forum, and I decided it was time to introduce myself. I am still looking for the right TW. I found a few options, but I am still mulling over the choices.

Option 1: 1989 "like new" (not sure the picture agrees with this) condition with 8400 miles for $1000
Option 2: 2002 "barely used like new" condition with less than 1400 miles for $2400
Option 3: 2005 "excellent" condition with 11000 miles for $1800

The 2005 was the deal that originally hooked me. I would have arranged to go look at the bike by now, but the post did not leave any contact information. The 2002 appears to be immaculate, but I wonder about a bike that sat with so little use for so long. I don't think I would pay more than $2000 for the 2002. The 1989 has been up for over a month. It started at $1400 ... then it dropped to $1200 and was tempting ... now it is $1000.

I would love to have a project to work on, and the 1989 seems like it would have a lot of potential. A $1000 bike would free up cash to build it up the way I like. Plus, it already has a kickstarter ... and I'd need new tires on any of the choices. I feel like I am starting to lean toward the 1989, but maybe the 2005 will have contact info soon ... or maybe the 2002 deserves an offer. Or maybe I should keep waiting.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome, Slinger. I have an '89 TW and love it. It's low mileage (less than 2500) and has a kick starter which is a big plus. The down side, depending on who you ask, is that it has a front drum brake. Seems to work fine for me. I vote for the '89 with enough dough left over to trick it out.

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Reactions: Tweaker and admiral

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Welcome from Maryland. Good luck on your choices. I have a 2006 with 10,000 miles and a 89 project bike. The money adds up quick especially when working on the older bikes. Gremlins at every turn. I have installed an o-ring chain and sprockets on my 2006 which cost over $200 New tires and tubes on my 2006 over $200. My 2006 needs the base gasket replaced. ???

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I bought a 2001 with 48000 km on it and have had no issues and it now has over 50000 km.
It has gone from a mostly street / FSR bike to a trail explorer.

I would go for the 2005 and start enjoying the bike.
First mod should be a trials tire on the front, then an ATV tire on the back, then hand guards and skid plate and then a folding shift lever and ....

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
+ the blue one already has taller bars [you're gonna want that anyway if you're taller than 5'4"] and kickstarter

It looks like the 2002 was in the garage, so the sitting around probably isn't that big of a deal. The only thing really to worry about would be the chain and the battery, but he already replaced the battery.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Plus one on the 2002. Option 1 would be my second choice if you can contact the seller and the bike looks ok. Disc brake is a non issue to me, at least so far. It may need the carb gone through. The intake boot from the air filter would need to be inspected as they shrink and harden up over time and that causes it to pull off the intake of the carb allowing dirt to be sucked in. I'd take a grease gun to the swing arm, and check the the spokes and steering head. Good luck. You came to the right place for good info on the TW.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Welcome and happy hunting.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
326 Posts
Of those three I like the 2002 best. Low miles are always good if it's not rotting to death, unlikely if garage kept. The front disc brake makes a difference, IMO.

I'd try to get it for $2k or maybe a little less, it depends on your local market. $2000-3000 is about average here.

Good luck hunting. The TW200 IS a good choice for your intended use.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a 2002. The disc brake is a small change, but if you ever have had a front brake "leave" you, you will appreciate the reliability and fade resistance of the disc. I had a drum barke car fade the front drums and it was not pretty. The 2002-2006 seemed to be pretty good- color, option and reliability wise. Seems quite a few new ones have had oil consumption issues and older will start to have some of the age related probelms mentioned before.

·
Registered
20,388 Posts
All good choices with a mix of good and bad. What is good is selecting a TW over most other dual sport bike options..
I would tend to value reliability highly on a vacation since you will be riding solo. No need to affect rest of families fun if you have a break-down. So whatever bike you get ride it enough to identify and fix any issues from the prior owners.
Big welcome!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Are you going to transport the bike on a carrier hooked up to the back of the 5th wheel trailer? I didn't think there was room in a truck bed for a bike after hooking up a 5th wheel? Just curious. I would say get the 2002 if you have a choice and all appear mechanically sound.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome. While you have had a lot of good advice, I will give you a bit more. Any of these will be fine most important thing is pick one and get on with the fun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice.

I forgot to mention that a bucket list desire of mine has been to restore a vehicle of some sort ... so that 89 is really calling to me right now. Maybe I'm crazy, but I would really like to take it apart and put it back together. I like learning new skills, and this seems like a good way to go. I watched a video on youtube called "PROJECT *PREPPER TRANSPORT* - TW200 - PART 1" a while back that inspired me (I'd post a link but I can't yet). The final product in part 3 looks and sounds awesome.

I plan to take a look at the bike tomorrow if the Craigslist poster gets back to me with a time and place. If that doesn't work out for me, then I might get more serious about the 02.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
So that makes it easier. Buy the 89 to fix up and get the 2002 to ride now. You'll have an extra one for family /friends to ride when you're done.

Reactions: Rider21 and Rockit

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you going to transport the bike on a carrier hooked up to the back of the 5th wheel trailer? I didn't think there was room in a truck bed for a bike after hooking up a 5th wheel? Just curious. I would say get the 2002 if you have a choice and all appear mechanically sound.
I am still considering options for transport. I really don't want to put a hitch on the back of my trailer because the frame manufacturer has stated that it would void the frame warranty. I do have a cargo carrier on the back that the manufacturer rates for 125 pounds (It is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than that, but I make it a point to adhere to the placards). I was thinking of the possibility of using a front wheel chock on the cargo carrier and freewheel the TW rear tire (supporting the majority of the bike weight) on the ground behind it. I understand that I would need to detach the chain for this method, and I really don't think this is the way to go. I've considered the possibility of reinforcing the cargo carrier for the extra weight too, but the frame warranty would still be an issue.

My truck has a long bed, and I may be able to carry the TW on top of my toolbox behind the cab. This would certainly prevent me from being able to jackknife the rig in tight spaces, but it may give me enough room for normal driving. Removing the handlebars would increase the maneuvering significantly.

The most likely route will be to install a front hitch on the truck and use a hitch carrier. This seems to be a relatively popular route on forums. I make it a point to always be parked at the campground before dark, so I am not too worried about light clearance issues.

I still have a number of measurements and experiments to run before I decide, but my CAT scale weights tell me I have plenty of reserve axle capacity for any of the approaches. I only tow at 60 MPH, so maybe I'll just let the wife drive while I enjoy the road on my TW :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So that makes it easier. Buy the 89 to fix up and get the 2002 to ride now. You'll have an extra one for family /friends to ride when you're done.
LOL ... you have no idea how hard it was to get the wife to concede to one TW :D

I actually bought a sportbike the day I met my wife. Years later, I sold that bike to buy a hang glider, and my wife told me "if you sell your motorcycle, you will never get another one". Now, I have neither bike nor hang glider. In her defense, I was young and stupid when I had my sportbike ... I am no longer young ... hopefully a bit less stupid. The selling point of the TW is that it cannot go highway speeds :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts