TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
New TW owner here. A friend from work had a breakdown on his TW way off grid and was unable to retrieve it prior to having to move for a new job. He said whoever got it could have it, so another friend and I spent a very long, arduous day pushing, pulling, winching, and towing it out.

Now that I have it safe in the garage it needs a lot of work including, but not limited to:

1) Fix the wiring that he cut when he tried to hotwire it after forgetting his key.

2) Probably needs a new computer because he thinks he fried it when trying to hotwire it
I will see if it starts after the wiring is corrected and try to diagnose from there. It did bog a little bit off of idle prior to his off road adventure which I am guessing is carb or computer related. If it does need a new computer, I was a video on youtube (youtube dot com/watch?v=AB3UuF3ITHY) where a guy says he bought a Chinese one for $20. Has anyone else used something like this? It is certainly much cheaper than the OEM part.

3) Rear brake needs some attention. It squeals like a little pig when rear brake is pressed.

4) Needs tail light and blinkers to be street legal. I will probably have to figure out a way to rig up an attachment point for these because the back bodywork of the bike has been removed.

5) It will need a new rear tire shortly after getting it back on the road. The current one is pretty worn. I will do some research to determine if I want to keep the original rear tire size or try to put an ATV tire on it.

6) I’m sure there are many more items that will come up as I dig into the project.

I think that is the order that I might try to tackle the biggest issues. I am attaching a picture of the bike as she sits and also a couple of shots of some cut wires that don’t seem to pair up and I am not quite sure where they were originally connected. If anyone is passionate about any of these topics or knows of any threads that will make for useful research feel free to chime in. I see a lot of forum searches and tinkering in my near future.

A little bit about me and what I anticipate using it for. I have been riding motorcycles since 2002, but very little experience off road. I live in Alaska and want to set this bike up for plunking single track and ATV paths where the terrain is quite variable and includes packed earth, gravel, rocky, muddy, and lots of grades. It will also see frequent, short commutes none of which require high speed. Looking forward to this adventure as I did not bring my street bike when I moved to Alaska and am itching to be on two wheels again.

IMG_2504.JPG IMG_2505.JPG IMG_2506.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. It was free financially, but took 2 guys about 13 hours of hard work to get it out of the bush so there is quite a bit of "sweat equity" in it, haha. We had great weather and some amazing views along the way though! It was a day I will never forget.
75204572_2315326438779344_7661664757719498752_n.jpg

·
Registered
555 Posts
Welcome and greetings from Anchorage!
I recommend ordering a repair manual if you haven't already.
You will find it very helpful in doing anything on your bike.
The wiring diagram, CDI tests, brake assembly details, turn signal information and so much more will be found there.
A shop manual is the first thing I buy when I start on a project bike, and usually for every bike.

I would start by removing the seat and tank if you haven't already and cleaning everything as much as possible before you start any work.
While cleaning the wiring harness you can inspect it for wear and damage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a good idea. I haven't ordered one yet, but I definitely will. I found them really useful on a couple of old vehicles that I used to have. I also once got a .pdf version for a Yamaha R6, but I find that I like having a physical book better. Thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Welcome and best of luck getting back on two wheels ASAP!

·
Registered
287 Posts
West of Jax, between Baldwin and Lake City. When did you live in Jax?

Marty

·
Registered
287 Posts
I left Jax 30 years before you got there. What area were you in? I lived there from 1961 to 1976 off Fort Caroline Rd. just a couple miles west of the Dames Point Bridge.
Were you on that side of the river or over yonder? :rolleyes:

Marty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I left Jax 30 years before you got there. What area were you in? I lived there from 1961 to 1976 off Fort Caroline Rd. just a couple miles west of the Dames Point Bridge.
Were you on that side of the river or over yonder? :rolleyes:

Marty
I was in the Cobblestone neighborhood a couple of miles East of the Dames Point Bridge. Small world.

·
Registered
287 Posts
A small world for sure. I used to ride in the woods where Cobblestone is. Kernan Blvd. was a sandy some spots muddy others dirt road known as The Powerlines. Nothing but woods on both sides all the way to Atlantic Blvd., then all the way to Beach Blvd. Cobblestone was a yellow sand soil area. Dad used to dig dirt from there and use as builders sand to mix mortar or concrete. When the woods were cleared for Monument Rd., it was left that way as a 2 lane dirt rd. for sometime before they actually paved it. All that area was a popular dirt bike, dune buggy and jeep playground. Only thing there at the time was The Dunes Golf Club where Ed Austin Park is now. The only part of McCormick that was paved was from Fort Caroline and the tarmac ended at The Dunes Club Rd. entrance. Thanks for the trip back in time, OverYonder!

Hope I didn't bore you with too much detail,
Marty

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since the bike is fairly new and was free you might want to spend a little too make it reliable. Nothing worse than electrical gremlins out on the trailer.
And entire new wire harness is only $150 from Yamaha if yours is pretty mangled. New CDI is $160 but test yours first. New ignition switch is $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome from rural Georgia. I lived in Jax and St. Augustine.
Congratulations on your "new" TW. Looks like you have a true labor of love. Enjoy your rides in one of the most beautiful part of the country.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts