TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first post but I hope to become an active and helpful addition to your community, last year I bought a trashed 96 TW From a kid here in NC and spent the winter rebuilding and hollow modding it. I took a great deal of inspiration and advice from people all over the internet and much from those on this forum, my intent was to perform a tasteful mod without spending a great deal of money, I wanted to keep the entire project under 2000 dollars incuding the purchase of the bike and tax/title. I failed by about 200 bucks but keep in mind that I replaced literally everything in the electrical system, stator,cdi,wire harness etc. Anyway im glad to finally be posting on here and I look forward to talking with all of you over the years. Give me a bit to figure out the posting process and ill put up some pictures of my bike.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Nice work! I like it still has the off road tires but doubt that bike will see any dirt or mud road.

Is that muffler US Forest Service approved?

Left over parts can be sold on the forum. You still might be able to come in under the $2K.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice work! I like it still has the off road tires but doubt that bike will see any dirt or mud road.

Is that muffler US Forest Service approved?

Left over parts can be sold on the forum. You still might be able to come in under the $2K.

The dg slip on is stamped "forest service approved spark arrestor"

It is still unclear weather or not those tires will remain, but any replacements will be dot knobby, ill admit that this bike is not totally finshed, i am currently coaxing the carb into submission and i need to finish some painting here and there.

You know ill tell you my intent is to keep the 12 dollar pod filter on there with a sock or bandanna around it on dusty roads. Your right, this bike will never touch mud or wet if i can help it, but it should be fire road/single track capable with no issues...on dry days.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A brief thought on Murphys Law: When I bought this bike the seller told me that while it was being "stored" in the barn a racoon somehow got under the seat and chewed up the cdi. And so of course i thought to myself, there is absolutely no way that that actually could have happened, why, I bet it just has a couple of frayed wires that I can solder and shrink wrap easy peasy...nay nay. Turns out the guy was pretty accurate.

The question is...how? and also, why? $350

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice work and welcome
I was wondering what brand of wrap you're using on the header and what brand/model footpegs did you go with? I checked out the D2MOTO ones and can't find a TW approved. I'm ok with running the grinder if need be
NICE WORK!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice work and welcome
I was wondering what brand of wrap you're using on the header and what brand/model footpegs did you go with? I checked out the D2MOTO ones and can't find a TW approved. I'm ok with running the grinder if need be
NICE WORK!!
Heres a url to the exhaust wrap I used.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E243CA/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its DEI 010121 2 inch, a 15 foot roll. Wear a long sleeve shirt and some thick gloves when you do it or you will regret it, I used kitchen gloves.

The foot pegs I got off of ebay, taking a lead from the epicness that is the catamount tw build. They were 25 bucks or so after shipping. admitedly they are light and probably would break right off if I laid it down on pavement. but the price was just right. as far as fitting them goes I was able to make the provided hitch pins and torsion springs work with a little cutting. But its not something you couldnt just go to a hardware store and find the right stuff for pretty easily. I hope this helps, thanks for looking.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice work and welcome
NICE WORK!!
Heres a good shot of the new peg with hitch pin installed, you can see that as long as the mating sleeve is ballpark right size you have some flexiblity with hardware, That said it was a bit of a pain. those springs are tough and dont want to behave.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Nice work!

I just about fell out of my seat when I saw that chewed up cdi. It definitely makes you wonder what the hell that critter thought he was up to.

Be safe riding the mean streets of J-actionville there! I've lived in New Bern, Kinston, Raleigh, and Greenville NC over the years.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts