TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This forum has provided beneficial research info, prior to purchasing a 2017 model 28 Dec 2016. Thank you all for your contributions.

Off the showroom, it required choke (enrichener actually, on the TeiKei MV28 carb) for warm starts and it had idling issues (deceleration diaphragm seemed to affect fast idle...when it dropped to "normal" it would die on the 18 mile ride home. Drilled the plug and adjusted from factory 1 1/4 turns out to 2 3/4 allows restarts, even after 2 hours sitting in ~65 F ambient...and ended idle issues. Pilot, needle and main jets seem OK up to 5,000 feet elevation (home is 2,200)

Removed stickers and decals.

Added a tailbag (actually a Bilt tank bag from CycleGear on close-out for $14.95). Punched holes in bottom to match rubber rear fender pad and installed with pad inside the bag. Used longer 6mm stainless steel button head screws with fender washers through the fender, with locknuts and fender washers under neath. Good for running to auto parts/hardward store or for trips into the mountains, carrying tire sealant, extra fuel, water, etc. Would post photo, but I have not figured out that part, yet.

Changed oil (Castrol 20/50 4T) today at 249 miles. Moderate debris on oil filter screen. Replaced with KN143.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Welcome....sounds like you are probably already well versed and up to speed on everything and I bet everyone here....it's about time you introduced yourself to us...lol :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Welcome.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Welcome from New York Doc.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Changed oil (Castrol 20/50 4T) today at 249 miles. Moderate debris on oil filter screen. Replaced with KN143.
Why spend money on oil filters? The OEM filter is designed to be cleaned and reused indefinitely....I'm still using the original OEM filter at 12,500 miles....never had a problem.

I think you will find that the stock jetting will work just fine up to about 8,000 feet and run reasonably but not perfectly up to 10,000 feet. Mine does, with the stock 126 jet.

I would change the oil again at 500 miles and again at 1,000. It should stop making metal debris by then. I go 2,000 between changes now, or 6 months, whichever is first.

Welcome and enjoy your new toy! :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome from central PA

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why spend money on oil filters? The OEM filter is designed to be cleaned and reused indefinitely....I'm still using the original OEM filter at 12,500 miles....never had a problem.
I think you will find that the stock jetting will work just fine up to about 8,000 feet and run reasonably but not perfectly up to 10,000 feet. Mine does, with the stock 126 jet.
I would change the oil again at 500 miles and again at 1,000. It should stop making metal debris by then. I go 2,000 between changes now, or 6 months, whichever is first.
Welcome and enjoy your new toy! :D
Thank you (and ALL the others) for the welcome.
I typically change oil based upon a combination of color, time and mileage.
Hence the 249 mile change, instead of 600, as the oil was darkening and suspended particles were obvious, after draining.
Figured I would go to 1,000 miles for the second oil change, but may be sooner, depending upon color.
Cleaning the fine screen is not an issue, but I prefer a pleated surface with more filter area to trap particles with minimal affect on the flow.
Over the course of the last 20 years with the same company, an automation house/systems integrator, we have built a lot of filter assembly machines (not all manufacturing has gone to China), so maybe I am more sensitive to that aspect of wrenching and riding.

As for jetting, there is some benefit to the altitude compensation for the TK MV28 carb in the mid range, in that the needle/slide is lifted by a vacuum diaphragm.
It is similar in operation to the Keihn CV40, as used on H-D Sportsters, both 883 and 1200 and I have considerable experience with them.
The only issue with both Sportsters was the idle circuit. Both were set-up a tad rich, to avoid carb pops in low and mid range.
My first set-up on the 883 (circa 2002) was fine at sea level in California, but too rich for altitude. The dealers recommendation for a pilot jet was mis-leading.
It would idle up to about 5,000 feet. Above that, especially at 8,000 feet, it would not idle without some throttle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts