TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang

I just wanted to give a brief introduction of myself here, as I may be asking some dumb questions in various areas on the message board over the coming days and weeks about the TW 200. I am the kind of guy who researches stuff to death so at the risk of boring you and myself here goes.

I am 59 years old- fairly fit for my age - stand 6 feet even and maintain a pretty constant weight of 185 pounds - With about a 31 inch inseam I think I could stand flatfooted straddling the TW. I used to ride motorcycles - don't laugh but the last time I rode was in the mid 70's as a teenager. I owned a small enduro type bike, an 80 cc ARCTIC CAT. I rode often and was pretty good riding it but other than borrowing other bikes from time to time that is about the extent of my motorcycling experience. Biggest I have ridden solo was a 250 HD street bike that we used as a trail bike. After I got my drivers license at 16, I bought a 48 Willys jeep and my Arctic Cat was mothballed and eventually sold.

So now pushing 60 years old I have been giving serious consideration for several months to taking up motorcycling again. And I want to do most of my riding off road with the occasional trip into town for what ever. I've been looking at various classified ads for endure and dual sport bikes and the one that really caught my eye was the TW. I have always wanted a Yamaha - even when I was riding my little Artic Cat I dreamed of moving up to a 125 or 250 Enduro. The things I like about the TW200 are its rugged lines ( imo it looks like a motorcycle should look) , low weight, simplicity, beefiness, power enough but not too much for an old dude to handle, the fat tires ( we have a LOT of sand down here) and it appears I might actually be able to afford a decent used one as the prices appear reasonable if I can find one in my area.

My question to you all is am I nuts for thinking about getting back into motorcycling at my age and do you think this bike would be a good fit for me? What are the pros and cons of owning/riding/maintaining a TW ?

Registered
There are no dumb questions on this forum! Getting back into motorcycling at your age? I did that in 2010 at 62 and haven't looked back....so much fun and adventure (the fairly mild sort) in the last 8 years, I wouldn't trade it for anything! :)

Pros: inexpensive, easy to maintain, great for slow trail-riding and exploring.
Cons: The inability to keep up with 65+ mph traffic in the hills. Suspension inadequate for really aggressive riding in the dirt (it can be improved with mods). Sounds perfect for you.

Registered
There are no dumb questions on this forum! Getting back into motorcycling at your age? I did that in 2010 at 62 and haven't looked back....so much fun and adventure (the fairly mild sort) in the last 8 years, I wouldn't trade it for anything! :)

Pros: inexpensive, easy to maintain, great for slow trail-riding and exploring.
Cons: The inability to keep up with 65+ mph traffic in the hills. Suspension inadequate for really aggressive riding in the dirt (it can be improved with mods). Sounds perfect for you.
+1

elBuro, just turned 60. Riding since 1976...

Registered
My question to you all is am I nuts for thinking about getting back into motorcycling at my age and do you think this bike would be a good fit for me? What are the pros and cons of owning/riding/maintaining a TW ?

My opinion, a TW would be THE bike for getting back into riding. I'm in central NC (Alamance Co) and picked mine up about a year ago. I'm 64, been riding since the late 60's, and had never heard of the TW til shortly before I got mine. Wish I'd found it years ago. It's great for riding at a "mature" pace. ;) Assuming you're looking for a used one, you'll have to be patient in your search and be willing to travel as they don't pop up very often in our area (my experience). And don't drag your feet when you see one. If it's in decent shape and priced fair, it won't last long. Cons, only thing I can think of would be I wouldn't want to run the Interstate on one, but that's me. Pros, simple and reliable, and this great forum in the event you have to work on it. A great community here.

Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the friendly welcome and advice ! Its good to know I won't be the oldest member here . I guess one of my first decisions to make will be whether to relieve my post ride pain with advil or something from the ABC. :)

First question - are there any female riders here ? SWMBO says if I get a bike she wants to ride it - I am thinking that since she refused to learn how to drive a car we had with a standard transmission ( clutch ) that may be a bit problematic.

Registered
OldMan, there are a few active female members on the Forum. There is a growing number of females riding motorcycles.
I bought the TW so my daughter could ride with me.

Registered
Thank you all for the friendly welcome and advice ! Its good to know I won't be the oldest member here . I guess one of my first decisions to make will be whether to relieve my post ride pain with advil or something from the ABC. :)

First question - are there any female riders here ? SWMBO says if I get a bike she wants to ride it - I am thinking that since she refused to learn how to drive a car we had with a standard transmission ( clutch ) that may be a bit problematic.
Many female riders.

Registered
Mrs Trip:

5 feet tall. 110 lbs. Older than you are.

Both she and I had never ridden before taking it up past 50. Get the Mrs. her own bike!

Registered

Registered
I'm another rider who started in his 50's and the TW was my ride of choice. Absolutely no regrets. I think we're all reliving through you the joy and adventure of getting into riding and hunting for that TW that eventually becomes our own.

Welcome from British Columbia, Canada :)

Registered
Lot's of people in their 50s, 60s and even 70s here.

I'm about the same body size as you. With bar risers and bigger foot pegs I find it comfortable to ride. Like you I ride trails and logging roads, and intend to stay out of traffic. I too am coming back into motorcycles after a 30 year absence.

I found that taking the motorcycle safety course with my wife taught me things we didn't know or do when I was riding 30 years ago. She has a Super Sherpa that she prefers to the TW, as it feels more nimble to her.

Be sure to budget in some safety gear. It too has come a long way since I rode last.

Another welcome from BC!

Registered
Another welcome to the best forum in the world. I'm 69, rode a mini-bike then a Hodaka Ace 100 in my early twenties. Have ridden a little trials riding and a little highway riding. You will love your TW, and this forum. I also recommend you get your lady a TW of her own. Double the fun.

Registered
Lot's of people in their 50s, 60s and even 70s here.

I'm about the same body size as you. With bar risers and bigger foot pegs I find it comfortable to ride. Like you I ride trails and logging roads, and intend to stay out of traffic. I too am coming back into motorcycles after a 30 year absence.

I found that taking the motorcycle safety course with my wife taught me things we didn't know or do when I was riding 30 years ago. She has a Super Sherpa that she prefers to the TW, as it feels more nimble to her.

Be sure to budget in some safety gear. It too has come a long way since I rode last.

Another welcome from BC!
Excellent advice about the Motorcycle Safety classes.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts