TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Yamaha TW200
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I picked up my first bike a few weeks ago. A 2004 TW200, I really like it. Did the "new owner" maintenance: Oil, filters, spark plug, and also changed out the carburetor since I thought it was the cause of some cold engine cutting out. Turns out the carb wasn't the issue, but now I have a backup :D

Planning to ride some trails nearby before the weather warms up too much.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
So, what was the starting issue? Low speed jet?

And . . .

Welcome to the forum!

Marty

·
Registered
2004 Yamaha TW200
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I don't know definitely what the starter issue is now. Been trying to diagnose it. Once it's warm it runs great!

When it's cold it just doesn't start with the starter (even when it's warm it hardly starts). I can push start it, especially if I push and run the starter at the same time.

The engine turns with the starter or at least sounds like it (hearing the pop pop pop out the muffler).
I fully charged the battery and it didn't make a difference.

The choke kills the engine which is weird. (This may just be the fact that it's a cheaper Chinese carb).

My current guess is that the starter is just too weak.

·
Registered
2004 Yamaha TW200
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hah yeah I assume so, luckily it's easy to put the other carb back on.

I guess I'll buy a new battery next and see what that does. I've ordered a Shoria LFX09L2. Will post an update once I install it.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Once an engine is warm they will die if you fully engage the choke from being too rich. That is normal. You may not need to fully engage the choke for startup. I agree with Purple that the starting issue is a bad battery. The OEM carb is good. Ride your bike with the Chinese carb until you finish overhauling your OEM carb. You always have a back up so you can keep riding.

·
Registered
2004 Yamaha TW200
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum. Once an engine is warm they will die if you fully engage the choke from being too rich. That is normal. You may not need to fully engage the choke for startup. I agree with Purple that the starting issue is a bad battery. The OEM carb is good. Ride your bike with the Chinese carb until you finish overhauling your OEM carb. You always have a back up so you can keep riding.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I can take my time to disassemble the oem carb (assuming it wasn't replaced with a cheap carb before) and take a look at how the internals work.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Planning to ride some trails nearby before the weather warms up too much.
HA! That made me chuckle - welcome aboard from 9K feet in the Colorado Rockies, brother! Get that riding in while the season is good. I'm on the other end of the spectrum - I can only ride when the mountains thaw!

·
Registered
615 Posts
superkew
Welcome to the forum and
Best of luck with your Tdub !
Mike from NC

Reactions: Scooterbrained

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
BTW, I have been creeping on this forum for a while, just reading posts and being a consumer. Hopefully I'll be a contributor one day :)

Funny that! Just tonight I took this pic of a train car while I was walking up and down the tracks for something to do as it had the crossing blocked for over 30 minutes.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Marty

Reactions: Ken and SpeedyTide

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome! I'm brand new to the TW as well and going through the same things as you. Still need to change the oil, check valve clearance and check the spark plug, then I've gotta get into tuning the carb. Replacing the chain and sprockets for this one as well. Which will give me a good inspection of the stator at the same time. Can't think of a reason to open the clutch cover yet, unless the gaskets are re-usable, then I might just open it up to have a looksie.

Reactions: Ken
1 - 13 of 13 Posts