TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,093 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Welcome aboard, brother! I have to strongly recommend the RAM Quick-Grip XL. Holds a phone like clenched first! In fact, it's kind of hard to remove from the holder with one hand.
Amazon.com: RAM Quick-Grip XL Phone Holder with Ball: Automotive

Couple that with a Ram Medium Double Socket Arm...
Amazon.com: RAM Double Socket Arm

...And a RAM Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base (thanks to Troll for the tip on that one) and you're ready to rock and roll!
Amazon.com: RAM Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Bolts: Automotive

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
I love the Ram products. I don't know why I didn't get that clinching rascal that Reddave (is he communist, sunburned or is he Souix?) has. It looks perfect.

I have this one..

... and I love it. Easy on and easy off. I had the phone in it when I crashed my Burgman. The phone rode it most of the way before escaping without a scratch. It comes with a silicone security thing that locks it in tighter than Alcatraz was in the good ole days. I finally quit worrying about it.

I also have one of these...

I like it fine but I can't stop glancing at it to make sure the thing is doing it's duty. Not saying it does not grip securely... it does. Just saying I can't imagine that it won't let loose.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
RAM x-grip mounts are amazing. And super modular. They have a bazillion different mounting adapters for anything you can imagine. And I can carry my phone with the popsocket. A lot of mounts don’t have the space.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't like being "that guy", but do you really need to have your phone on your handlebars? I wont harp on the distracted riding/you should be looking at the road and not your phone aspect of it, but keeping your means of emergency communications safe and accessible if you're in an accident is pretty important. The youtubes are full of videos of peoples phones flying off their handlebar mounts, even the good ones.

Personally, I keep mine in my breast pocket with the screen facing inward so it'll have the highest chance of surviving a crash. If I do stuff it (again), I'm really going to want to be able to make that phone call (again). Though, my new phone could probably be tied to a leash and dragged behind the bike full time and still come out unscathed. Thing is burly.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Another thing to consider is the vibration, I have heard of several people with iphones that the camera was damaged after mounting it to their motorcycle. There are a couple companies that make vibration isolated mounts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Scooterbrained & myself have the same. Holds the phone well, although can't get mine to snug up on the bars....keeps working downward with weight of phone then the bumps.

Gonna try some electrical tape on the bars, hoping it'll provide a bit more grip, and stay in place.
I used a small sheet metal box wrench that came with self assemble furniture as a mount. I pinch one end of the wrench using the mirror as attachment. The phone mount nut is pinched on the other end of the wrench. Nothing is in the round normal bar mount area.

I twisted the wrench some to adjust the viewing angle.
I am stupid cheap. Just buy a real mount already(talking to self)

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
344 Posts
Not sure if anyone included this one above, but I like it a lot. It holds my iPhone 11 like a lobster claw:

·
Registered
634 Posts
I used a small sheet metal box wrench that came with self assemble furniture as a mount. I pinch one end of the wrench using the mirror as attachment. The phone mount nut is pinched on the other end of the wrench. Nothing is in the round normal bar mount area.

I twisted the wrench some to adjust the viewing angle.
I am stupid cheap. Just buy a real mount already(talking to self)
Not a bad idea Wormspur! (y)

I have a few of these "brackets" as well. :unsure:

:)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a RAM X-mount, but I'm worried about vibration, and the retainer is a pain to attach. I made a 3D printed vibration isolator to work with the RAM ball system. It did remove high frequency vibrations, but allowed the phone to pitchback and forth over bumps.

I've ordered a Quad Lock system, which consists of a mount (RAM ball compatible), case, the Quad Lock attachment, and a vibration isolator. We'll see. Not cheap, but I use my phone for navigation, and need my camera as well. This is the attachment and isolator:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Another thing to consider is the vibration, I have heard of several people with iphones that the camera was damaged after mounting it to their motorcycle. There are a couple companies that make vibration isolated mounts.

This...... Whatever you get make sure it has vibration isolation. I have personally runied more than one camera having it hard mounted to the bike. I run the hondo perfect squeeze and the vibration idolator they sell. Works great. I like that quadlock too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a cheap fixed mount and had to replace my camera lense after the first hard ride. Whatever you do get a mount with some give in it.
I really love the Hondo Garage holder on a RAM mount to dampen vibration.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts