TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a TW to putt around off road on but don't know if it work for my size and age. I am 65, 6ft 3 and weigh 240lbs. Rode DT1s back in the 70s. And recently a Goldwing. Would mostly be putting around in the desert. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
18,069 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Thinking of getting a TW to putt around off road on but don't know if it work for my size and age. I am 65, 6ft 3 and weigh 240lbs. Rode DT1s back in the 70s. And recently a Goldwing. Would mostly be putting around in the desert. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts

It would be a perfect bike for you. You'll need a more comfortable seat anyway so get the tall seat concepts seat and you'll be stylin and comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
18,069 Posts
Get some risers for the bars too.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Put a better seat on it and it's a perfect bike for you and puttering around. Actually if just puttering the stock seat is fine. Needs nothing else except your imagination.

·
Registered
20,391 Posts
Mfrost, you sound not too different from many happy TW200 Forum members. The TW is very good for getting there and back in a comfortable relaxed confidence inspiring pace. Good desert puttering about machine.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I once compared the TW200 crowd to those attending a classic Corvette event that I stumbled into by accident. They are perfect vehicles for the slightly overweight, slightly long in the tooth, and other folks with sufficient funds to want a comfortable ride that turns a head or two along the way while moving along at a speed that generates a smile.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The first mods done should be the bar riser (Pivot) with atv handle bars along with larger foot pegs.
The TW may not be fast but it will get you through stuff you did not think possible.

If you are going to be riding in the desert ( loose sand ) an atv tire works great.

TWOregonDunes02.jpg

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
What Fred and Peruano are saying is you pretty much just described and profiled a large number of forum members who bought their TW's for the same reason. Just to putt around in the dirt. We find we are riding our bikes more than we thought we would on the street and back country roads too because it is so much fun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the support and input! My dear wife even said that I could get a new TW. Have there been any changes in the new ones compared to the ones that are say 2002 and up besides the color? Thanks Mike

·
Registered
779 Posts
Perfect for putting about! You can't beat the TW for ease of use. It is a pleasure to use for exploring due to it's compact size, relative light weight and nimble character. If you read through the forum, I think you will see there are a few things most owners do right away (and already suggeested above in various forms).
1. Raise the bars (ATV high bars, risers etc...)
2. Replace the stock front tire (Shinko 241 seems the consensus best all around replacement)
3. Add "handgaurds" to ward off broken clutch and brake levers (lots of choices and reviews and where to buy sugestions in the forum).

Those three additions, with a total cost of about $150 make the bike extremely capable. After that, options to tweak the bike are endless, but ownership can be as simple as an occasional oil change, lubing the zerk fittings, air filter cleaning, drive chain and valve adjustement. All easilly done and inexpensive. I am 6' 270 btw and other than wanting a bit more power, the bike is a constant source of entertainment!

I think the only big change was a disc brake in 2001. Otherwise small changes to electrical after the intiail 87 model? Lot's of memebers can chime in on that.

·
Registered
20,391 Posts
Hi again Mike. You are correct in that there are no significant changes in the TWs since 2002 other than plastic colors....No fuel injection, ABS nor Flux Capacitors.
As such a well maintained low mileage used TW can be a good buy.
For safety's sake I would factor in new tires in any budget for a bike whose tires are approaching ten years in age.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts