TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Is a TW right for me?

7K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  Andre 
#1 ·
Hello esteemed TWers and TWettes :)

I’m a potential buyer and while I’ve read so many pros and cons about this intriguing little bike, I figured it made sense to come to ask those who know it best.

So I’m choosing between a TW200 and a ZX-14…ok, more like a TW200 and a CRF250L/KLX250/WR250R :) This would be a second bike as I have a sporty middleweight bike that’s my primary ride.

Intended use would be for riding along country roads, exploring gravel roads, jeep trails, and a little bit of local riding if/when the mood for that strikes me but mostly the first three. So what’s the catch? Well there are several…

1 — I live in a super urban part of central florida where everything is paved. That means to get to those aforementioned country/gravel roads and jeep trails, I’m going to be looking at 1.5 — 2 hours of riding on surface streets OR perhaps 1-1.5 hours on the freeway where speeds range from 65 to 80.

2 — I’m at sea level of course so I know the TW would have a little more oomph here than at more typical mountain locations but it’s still a 196cc bike..

3 — I’ve no offroad experience beyond a good amount of mountain biking. Also I’m told almost all the trails here inevitably involve sugar sand as the locals call it (I’m a transplant from out west). For those of you who know this area, (richloam, croom, citrus, withlacochee) would the TW be suitable for such trails?

4 — Mostly I have had FI bikes and love the convenience and ease of almost effortless starting plus no fueling issues. I would rather ride than wrench. I had one bike with a carburetor and it didn’t go well thanks to the bike sitting for a bit with some ethanol gas. So I’m not super experienced or handy but willing to learn within reason and depending on available resources (youtube, here, forums, etc). Also I've switched to ethanol free and ride year round.

With all that said would you recommend a TW to someone in my shoes or am I better off with an FI, more modern dual sport like the CRF or KLX? I’m not set on any one particular bike but my street bike won’t be happy offroad and I’d like to see how I like dirt and offpavement riding.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
The T-dub plods long at a slow steady pace on narrow trails over sand and rocky ground. It's not fast and like a dirtbike and doesn't have the deepest suspension. It's low, and light, so if you got stuck you can pull it out of sand and mud. You certainly should not take it into 65-85 mph traffic for over and hour, but trailer the bike to the trails. My top speed on a T-Dub is 62 mph with the wind at my back, wide open on throttle. It's hard on the engine, and not recommended, It's best cruising speed is 48 mph. As for reliability, it's pretty bullet proof. Maintenance is easy. It's a bare bones transort, not a speedy thrilled filled dirtbike. It just GOES AND GOES AND GOES. Perfect for backwoods trails for sight seeing, and perfect for a beginner without lots of offroad experience. It's at home on the farm and on dirt and gravel roads, where you're not in a hurry.

#3 ·
You certainly should not take it into 65-85 mph traffic for over and hour, but trailer the bike to the trails.
^^^This!^^^ With the exception of this, the TW would be fine for you.

Welcome to the forum Elle!! :D

#4 ·
That's a tough one.

I think the TW is perfect for your type of off-roading but horrible for your commute requirements. It just doesn't do fast, unless you change the gearing ratio on the front and/or rear sprocket to get more top-end speed. Even then I wouldn't want to go that fast without smoother street tires.

I just bought a '99 TW that had been converted to a cafe racer with a much higher top-end (went from a 50 to a 45 tooth rear sprocket) and street tires, but it lost some trail capability in the process. It was still OK, but I have lots of small mountain trails in my corner of the desert and I wanted the low-end back. Changing the rear sprocket really isn't that hard, if you want to go that route, but you'd also have to shorten the chain or take out links to make it work. Once again, not that hard to do.

My 15 year old son who is more of a math wiz than an outdoorsy guy is learning to love the TW. It's comfortable and not too athletic. It's low enough to the ground to get on and off easily, and it's easy to plant your feet on the ground when you need extra stability on the trail. Plus, the carb seems pretty bullet proof as long as it has ethanol-free gas in it.

It's a good bike, actually the best bike, for my type of casual exploring.

#5 · (Edited)
Hello esteemed TWers and TWettes

I’m a potential buyer and while I’ve read so many pros and cons about this intriguing little bike, I figured it made sense to come to ask those who know it best.

So I’m choosing between a TW200 and a ZX-14…ok, more like a TW200 and a CRF250L/KLX250/WR250R
This would be a second bike as I have a sporty middleweight bike that’s my primary ride.

Intended use would be for riding along country roads, exploring gravel roads, jeep trails, and a little bit of local riding if/when the mood for that strikes me but mostly the first three. So what’s the catch? Well there are several…

1 — I live in a super urban part of central florida where everything is paved. That means to get to those aforementioned country/gravel roads and jeep trails, I’m going to be looking at 1.5 — 2 hours of riding on surface streets OR perhaps 1-1.5 hours on the freeway where speeds range from 65 to 80.

2 — I’m at sea level of course so I know the TW would have a little more oomph here than at more typical mountain locations but it’s still a 196cc bike..

3 — I’ve no offroad experience beyond a good amount of mountain biking. Also I’m told almost all the trails here inevitably involve sugar sand as the locals call it (I’m a transplant from out west). For those of you who know this area, (richloam, croom, citrus, withlacochee) would the TW be suitable for such trails?

4 — Mostly I have had FI bikes and love the convenience and ease of almost effortless starting plus no fueling issues. I would rather ride than wrench. I had one bike with a carburetor and it didn’t go well thanks to the bike sitting for a bit with some ethanol gas. So I’m not super experienced or handy but willing to learn within reason and depending on available resources (youtube, here, forums, etc). Also I've switched to ethanol free and ride year round.

With all that said would you recommend a TW to someone in my shoes or am I better off with an FI, more modern dual sport like the CRF or KLX? I’m not set on any one particular bike but my street bike won’t be happy offroad and I’d like to see how I like dirt and offpavement riding.
Thanks!
Hi Elle, and welcome. The TW200 or Tdub, as we affectionately call them, is an excellent choice for what you've listed as needs. All except one; highway riding with speeds above 60 or so. Other than that, the Tdub is excellent. It is low, and light, with fat to tires that help in the sand. It is super reliable & simple to operate. You can thrash this thing for 30yrs and still hold great resale value. These things go anywhere, including the North Pole! (Somebody actually drove one to the north pole.) They are tanks. There are lots of parts available. It is also a great beginner bike, and anyone can ride it. Rider groups such as this, are available. And you can buy a brand new Tdub in Florida cheap! Too far for me to travel to be practical, but I found my best prices at several dealerships in Florida on cycletrader.com. Good luck with your decision.
Maury ?

#6 · (Edited)
Of the small bikes you listed, the WR250r, is the only one that I would even attempt to take on a freeway and do 80mph with and it would be scary,
I have done it. The TW will do sand with the stock tire, but with low tire pressure, so you will need a pump to air up for the trip home.
The other bikes will need new rear tires. I would suggest the Motoz dessert ht, it has a cupped central knob that when aired down does extremely well in sand and mud.
Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Auto part Tread

#7 ·
KLX250 if you are an off-road newbie and absolutely must have a freeway capable bike. You will still struggle in the sand more than a TW, but not be so high off the ground as with a WR250R.
If you can make a friend who can haul your bike on freeway then definitely go TW. Or simply rent a truck for the day for those occasional out-of-town long hauls. Or put a receiver hitch carrier on whatever 4 wheel conveyance available to you and once again haul the TW to your destination.

#8 ·
Depends on whether you want a mule or a horse. Mules can go where horses can’t, but mules can’t keep up with horses

The TW is a mule, but a lot of fun along the way – perhaps simply because it is a mule

If you are a fan of convenience, EFI, and highway speeds, that’s not what these bikes are about. But again, that’s the point of a TW. They are designed to be fixed with a screwdriver, a pair of pliers, and the nearest rock. “Old school”. Yet they remain one of the most reliable bikes out there, because of their simplicity

When you’re out on the trails, there is no dealership to plug in a laptop and diagnose your EFI, it’s just you and the bike. In the unlikely event of a breakdown, the simplest toolkit can often fix the TW

The TW needs little maintenance beyond the basics, most of which apply to other bikes anyway – so it rather depends on your interpretation of “convenience”

So – you have a choice – TW’s are immense fun, easy to work on, but they are not road going beasts. The clue is in the name – “Trail Way”. But they can hold 60 mph for prolonged periods, maybe 65mph on the flat, but if you can deal with that – they will take you anywhere …..

#9 ·
The internet is wrong about quite a few things but you know what it is right about? This forum and how friendly and helpful the members are so thank you for all the replies so far!

Just to be clear because i know i wrote a lot in that original post...the trails and roads i'd want to travel are indeed 1 to 1.5 hours from home via freeway (65 - 80 mph) but the alternative is 1.5 - 2 hours on surface streets. So there is a way to get to those trails without ever being on the freeway rather it's just adds time to the ride which I know, isn't a bad thing but my free time is unfortunately finite.

As many of you pointed out the TW is a simple little bike but being away from the city and what not, means you have to be able to rely on your own skills. Admittedly I'd opt to either a) stay away from anything remote, difficult, or really out there while solo and stick to jeep trails, 2 track, and easy trails OR b) if i can find one, then ride with a group. It's not different than mountain biking in that regard in that you're usually way better off with a friend unless it's a very busy area with lots of people who could potentially help in case of an unforseen mishap.

Is 65 mph for say 1 hour too much for the TW in stock trim here at sea level?

#10 ·
If geared properly for road then 65 is no problem, but now it will not be as nice for off road. Some people on here have done a dual sprocket, but there are draw backs to that too. In my opinion small bikes are not fun when you get over 55mph.

#11 ·
You could definitely gear it to do 60-65, but it's not going to be cumfy. My reco would be to take the back roads where possible and putter along. This is NOT a fast bike, but it is an extremely fun, capable and durable bike.

I have owned a Ninja 250, Suzuki sv650, currently own a '73 rd350 (in pieces currently) and recently bought the TW. It is one of the most enjoyable and easy to ride bikes I have had (the sv was excellent though). Its perfect for exploring country roads, gravel roads, etc. It's also pretty easy to hitch to a vehicle or throw into the back of a truck.

With that said, I also road a CR250L and though it was just fine. I prefer the TW, but it's not bad. I hear great things about the KLX250 and excellent things about the WR250. I am a Yamaha guy at heart, but the WR250 is a little tall for my liking. The TW is basically perfect for my short ass. Anywho, good luck making your decision!

#12 ·
As with a lot of other off-road or dual sports - the TW seat COULD make a ride of two hours out and then two hours back mighty uncomfortable on your bottom end (without even adding in the off-roading time).
Yes the bike will do 60+ (no head wind) but will be very buzzy; shortening comfort on the bike time. And more importantly, you will have no power left to get yourself out of a bad situation with 65 mph traffic (let alone 80mph cars whizzing by). The ability to accelerate can get you out of a bad spot. Higher gearing will make the bike smoother at any given speed - but does not really increase top end speed due to the lack of power. It can also lessen the off-road ability; but really only if you do more difficult terrain. A truck bed; or hitch carrier; or trailer really makes things a lot more doable. Especially if you or the bike get hurt. You only have to get back to the trail-head to have transportation - instead of trying to figure how to get you and/or the bike another 60-120 miles back home. Wish you luck with however you decide to do things.

#14 ·
Id reccomend a hitch hauler and just bring the dub to the trail. For me riding on a road is stressful for more than a few miles but for a beginner offroader the tw is perfect if you spend a few hundred on some mods like lower gears taller handlebars better pegs and shock. Ive had otger bikes and can say with confidence that you will love the dub in the same way that we all do. Welcome to tge club!

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Unless you have a pickup or trailer or hitch carrier it’s not the bike for what you described. You’ll feel uncomfortable all the time on the interstate, in my opinion. It’s a shame, because the big tires have an advantage in all that FL sand.

#16 ·
Id definitely recommend you take the bike to the trail, not ride it. I have almost always done that, no matter what the capabilities of the bike. It is so much safer, because all you need to do is break something on the trail (which i do, all the time!) And your ride home will be misery, or not even possible. Smashed headlight and its dark? Clutch lever snapped off? Chain stuffed? Steering head bearing seized? Wheel bearing collapsed? The list goes on and on. Unless the trail is at your back door, or down the road, or you are with a group, just take the bike there. A nice drive home after a hard (fun) day out.

#18 ·
Hahaha, pretty funny.

Seems like more than a few who have responded suggest trailering the bike. I admit I'm not especially inclined to get one if trailering is close to a necessity. Whimsical as it is, I like the spontaneity of getting on the bike and going. Not that the reasons shared here fail to make sense because they're all quite sensible.

Ironically there was a TW for sale on Craigslist nearby just before I wrote the original post but it seems to have vanished from the site so I assume it sold. All of which leaves only dealers nearby hence impossible to get a test ride to see how I like the bike.

I once rode a crf230l briefly and it was a fun, lightweight bike on the street though it strained mightily above 60 sounding like it might explode any minute by the time 65 or 70 came around. I'm imagining the tw might be similar but again first hand experience is important to me. Especially with the very different tire setup the tw has compared to just about any other dual sport.

#22 ·
For what you describe a Ktm 690 enduro Dr 650 or maybe a CB 500x with the Talley rade upgrades sounds like a good fit. The CB would be the lowest seat if that's an issue for you. I might get away with a DR 350SE or an old DRZ400 if you want to do it in the cheap. A WR250r might do it as well but 2 hrs at a whack is pushing the WE pretty hard. KTM just came out with their new 390 adventure which might be great all all rounder for you in florida. It's not a mountain climber but when I loved in florida the only mountain around was space mountain and they wouldn't let me ride my bike there.

#23 ·
Not a freeway bike with available horsepower

"Is 65 mph for say 1 hour too much for the TW in stock trim here at sea level?"

This may depend upon rider size and weight but as a 6' 200# person, my relatively new low mileage TW with a dealer carb rebuild and re-jet was NOT capable of 65mph at sea level on a nice medium temperature day unless the wind was with me, even when laid down over the tank. Freeway was downright scary dodging the semis. I added a 46 tooth rear sprocket and saw no increase in top speed, just lower revs. The engine simply lacks the horses to go any faster.

For slow trails, buzzing about town and quiet country byways, great. For Florida freeways, get a bike with more ponies that will keep you from being run over.

#24 ·
First off thanks again for all the replies and thoughts. I hope all of you had a great thanksgiving!

One of you mentioned perhaps scaring me off from the TW and while I might have chosen a different word, rather words, I think it's more a dose of reality. It's quite charming to imagine yourself idyllically exploring slow backroads devoid of traffic and empty trails leading to quiet spots of beauty. However you all actually knowing the bike, what it can and as importantly, cannot do, simply bring back the real world to it. The real world of 80 mph being the new 55 or so it seems on most local roads, tail gating drivers, and simply having finite time to ride when you have a family.

So in the right set of circumstances, I think a TW would be perfect for what i want to do but the world i live in doesn't lend itself so neatly to that. While my area isn't LA, indeed I'm in florida, it does share the hyper urban layout and development, thus one has to ride a while just to find any open roads. There are many ways out of dodge but the fastest by far. Surface streets will lead you out of this urban jungle too but it will take twice as long. There's reality again intruding and highlighting finite riding time.

I've ridden a versys 650, not the same as a cb500x, but not entirely dissimilar and it felt like a road trip sort of bike and nothing i'd want to so much as put on dirt. While I can and have picked up a big bike off the ground I certainly wouldn't want to so weight alone is a big negative. A 690 would be a phenomenal (and expensive!) machine but feels like a titanium scalpel when a pocket knife would suffice and be more satisfying.

I suspect a test ride on a TW as well as the other bikes i'm looking at such as a crf250l/klx250 would confirm what the best choice would be. However such rides are impossible here even on used bikes so one is left largely relying on the inconsistency of motorcycle reviews. Motorcycles have always felt a little more emotional for me than cars and if you don't connect with a machine then its practical qualities become less relevant.

#28 · (Edited)
If you are going to buy a dual sport bike of this size you should look at the Chinese 250 Dual Sports (I don't recall their names but Google does)….they are about half the price or less …..and even have kick starters...…

I would never ride a TW on a freeway unless I was drunk...and I don't drink...

#29 · (Edited)
The china bikes ain't any better on the free-ways. Brozz 250 seems to be the overall best right now but it is just slightly faster than a TW200. For frequent free way riding, I would get a Yamaha WR250R. They can run 80 all day. Not much left at that speed but they can take it.

#32 ·
If you're a mountain bike rider, my presumption would be that you have some level fitness...or at least a higher level of fitness than me. That said, I have both a DR650 and a Tdub. I would not recommend a big DR for a beginner in motorized off-road. It would become a chore; I'm no weakling but the prospect of hefting the DR up after a fall is enough to make this grown man cry if it's frequent enough.
The WR250R...my riding buddy has one and I've never ridden it - don't really have the urge to either even though it's sitting in my shed. It is TALL but it's got good suspension.
Euro-choices, while generally fuel injected, are typically race bikes with plates. They require attention on and off the bike. I'm a veteran KTM owner and while I didn't hate it, I preferred my simple YZ250 smoker.
Purple hit it on the nose about the Tdub's characteristics. It's a shame you have to travel so far to get to where the bike will shine over most others.
In regard to speed, mine will do 70mph and I'll have to back off a little, yet it will hold the speed...on flat ground with no discernible breeze either way. I haven't owned it long enough, and am currently injured from falling my DR, so I can't speak to freeway manners. Going 70 on two-lane blacktop didn't bother me much.
My guess would be that the sugar sand would quickly overwhelm the 250s you've mentioned, especially if you are not inclined toward aggressive riding. Even then, the power of those 250s may not allow much aggression anyway. The lower end 200s and 250s have modest power and narrow wheels so momentum is the name of the game. I don't believe a Van Van will give you anything but FI.

You haven't mentioned your weight, and going by your screen name I am apprehensive to ask :) I'm around 200lbs and had to invest suspension to keep the bike from bottoming and carrying on. The twitchiness may come from the forks sitting too low in their stroke so I would recommend evaluating one's weight and putting in appropriate springs.
You also didn't mention how you get the mountain bike to a given trailhead. If your 4 wheel conveyance can tolerate a hitch receiver MC carrier or a Moto-Jack, that go a long way toward expediting prospective off-road trips.

I can unequivocally say that a T-dub will be hard to beat in terms of ease/enjoyment/longevity. My experience is that the carb is fairly tolerant about being "close" in terms of jetting.

If you don't want maintenance hassles I can't necessarily recommend a Royal Enfield. They are mid-sized, and FI(!), but need attention of a vintage bike.

A T-dub is as close to vintage as one can get get without maintenance demands

I tried to keep it short :)

#33 ·
[disclaimer: I have only skimmed the replies here]

The TW200 is not really "comfortable" past 55 mph in stock form, but it will do 60 okay (and can do it fairly well with an off-road-performance-reducing gearing change). Whether or not you are comfortable going 60 in 65 to 85 mph traffic is all on you. It's not that great sometimes, but I did it for thousands of miles and generally didn't mind too much. That said, none of the bikes you mentioned are going to be anywhere near ideal for faster highway cruising. If you want a lower seat height, highway and off road capability, and reliability, I'd suggest the DR650. It will take 80 mph highway all day without breathing hard, and you can get a factory Suzuki gel seat that will lower the seat height by about one inch. Stock seat height is 34.8 inches. Just make sure you research/ask about common problems/failures with any model you end up more seriously considering (after narrowing down).

Reactions: molochnik
#34 ·
This is true in regard to the big DR; it nearly makes a plausible touring bike with its high-speed capacity. I would be very careful with it as a new motorcyclist, however, it is a beast in terms of weight and power.
For anyone over 180lbs, sand will suck that front end down underneath the bike in short order - the forks are woefully under sprung. I weigh around 200 and just couldn't get enough weight off the front end to deal with sand...and this bike is not my first, or even 20th I've owned.
All that said, for its purchase price it is tough to beat for a trail bike that one can jump on an interstate and hammer along at 80 with throttle to spare. It is precisely this characteristic that keeps it in my stable despite being a chore to lift up. It's true nothing else will do what it does for the money, maintenance required, and even the weight...heavy as it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.