TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the sound of a well tuned engine running full bore get your eyes misting? I was over a Sebring racetrack watching the teams get ready for the 12 hour race. The sound of earth shaking V-8's and V-10's howling their guts out on the front straight made me choke up big time. My wife thinks I'm nuts to get worked up over such a thing but am I alone on this?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Years ago, there used to be a formula one auto race in downtown Phoenix. I lived two miles away, but I can still recall the incredible sound from those engines. I've never heard anything quite like it.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Qwerty: That's another reason I like to go to Sun N Fun. Too hear all those wonderfull engines up close is fantastic to a motor geek like me.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I have fond memories of roadracing motorcycles. 4-stroke parallel, horozontal, and V-twins, triples, fours running straight pipes and open headers were sweet, but the piercing screams of unsilenced expansion chambers on the 2-strokes still haunt me in the wee hours.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have been lucky enough to hear a Rolls Royce Merlin on a low ,slow flypast. 27 litres of super charged V-12, an absolutely glorious sound that will stay with me forever.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen and heard Lee Lauderback in his TF-51D Crazy Horse putting on a show. You think a Merlin sounds good going low and slow? Wait until you here one at high power! If you have a single male gene in your body it will make your hair stand on end!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've seen and heard Lee Lauderback in his TF-51D Crazy Horse putting on a show. You think a Merlin sounds good going low and slow? Wait until you here one at high power! If you have a single male gene in your body it will make your hair stand on end!!

Unfortunately I doubt I will ever hear a Merlin at full chat because here in the UK all the Spitfires, Hurricanes etc. are priceless museum pieces and flown only very rarely and very very carefully.

And not only does that sound make the hair on the back of my neck stand up but it also cause me to feel irrationally emotional. Strange but true, it must be a guy thing.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I under stand there was a recording made back in the early 60's of the inline 6 cylinder bikes racing at the Isle of Mann. I'm told it would make strong men cry and become weak in the knees and make a weak man grow chest hair along with growth in other area's!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
My dad and three of my uncles flew piston fighters. As they became successful in business, each invested in restoring one of the types he flew in combat. I've had the good fortune of actually flying all four, a F4U Corsair, a P51D Mustang, a P47-D Thunderbolt variant with the bubble canopy, and a P38J Lightning. I've also flown in 2-seat adaptations of the P51, P47, and P38. I've also flown a PT-17 Stearman, a AT-6A Texan, an O-59 Grasshopper, a L20-A Beaver, and an O-2A Skymaster that have been or are owned by extended family. I've also been a passenger in a B-17G Flying Fortress, and B-25G Mitchell, and a B-29A Super Fortress. You think one engine is emotional, try four Wright R-3350 Duplex-Cyclone twin-row radials, 72 monster cylinders pumping out a combined 8000hp.

·
Registered
614 Posts
As I am not really that well up on aero engines I googled those mentioned by Qwerty and they are really works of art.

It's funny but I just can't get excited by the jet age.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My dad and three of my uncles flew piston fighters. As they became successful in business, each invested in restoring one of the types he flew in combat. I've had the good fortune of actually flying all four, a F4U Corsair, a P51D Mustang, a P47-D Thunderbolt variant with the bubble canopy, and a P38J Lightning. I've also flown in 2-seat adaptations of the P51, P47, and P38. I've also flown a PT-17 Stearman, a AT-6A Stearman, an O-59 Grasshopper, a L20-A Beaver, and an O-2A Skymaster that have been or are owned by extended family. I've also been a passenger in a B-17G Flying Fortress, and B-25G Mitchell, and a B-29A Super Fortress. You think one engine is emotional, try four Wright R-3350 Duplex-Cyclone twin-row radials, 72 monster cylinders pumping out a combined 8000hp.

That is awesome!

This is as close as I have got:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og2UXBAqgQ0

I had an uncle who was in Luftwaffe bombers and then was transferred to fighters as the war progressed. He survived, but towards the end of the war they were dying at a rate of (IIRC) 30% a month, so his memories were not too good.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
That is awesome!

This is as close as I have got:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og2UXBAqgQ0

I had an uncle who was in Luftwaffe bombers and then was transferred to fighters as the war progressed. He survived, but towards the end of the war they were dying at a rate of (IIRC) 30% a month, so his memories were not too good.
Is that a late Messerschmitt Bf-110 with the BMW BD601 or 610 engines?

Nobody wins a war. By the beginning of 1945 the Allied fighters had advanced to be superior in combat to the Axis equipment, to the point that novice Allied pilots flying set tactical patterns were able to decimate the Axis aircraft. Since by then the Allied strategic bombing campaigns had reduced Axis manufacturing facilkities to rubble, little in the way of improved equipment was available, even though the Axis jets and rockets were clearly superior. Axis leaderships focus on offensive jets and rockets left few resources for defensive jets and rockets, so air superiority was lost. Few realized at the time, but in modern warfare, nothing is won without air superiority. The defeat of Axis air forces was a reflection on a dysfuntional command group--the engineers, machinists, technicians, and ground and flight crews served with significasnt distinction.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Over at Sebring their testing the new Audi twin turbo. Going down the front straight it sounds just like a jet on take off!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts