TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2014 TW200 that I bought as my commuter/hunting rig. When I bought it I only had a 12 mile commute each way. We sold our house today and for the next year we will be living where I would have a 40 Mile commute each way ranging from 45-65MPH speed limit.

Is that too much for my little TW? I will try and ride it to work 3-5 days a week. I will obviously need to buy a bigger tank, re gear and some street tires. There will be one stretch of road that is 8 Miles long at 65MPH. The rest is 55mph and under because of traffic.

With Regular maintenance is that fine for my TW200?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
your bike is fine doing that all day, 40 miles each end isn't going to hurt it none.
45-50mph is a real sweet spot for the Tdub, it can hit 65 or 70.... but that's not super cozy. truth be told i'd rather be at 10-30 in the dirt than 40-60 on the road.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
it sounds like you are going to turn the t dubster into a street bike with the smooth tires and all. I changed my front sprocket to a 15 this winter and after a few rides this spring, I really like the change, it is much smoother. if I was to only ride pavement, then I would change the rear sprocket to a 47, which is the same as you going to a 45. that change will make a much more comfortable ride for you and the bike at highway speeds

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will Probably end up just wearing out the stockers, will order a new tank. I have a 47 tooth rear sprocket just need to put it on, we will see how that works at higher speeds. Looking at Maps, most of my stuff will be back roads and 55 mph. Also will get an oil cooler

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah my stock tires have a whole 200 miles on them so I will wear them out for sure. My only worry is the stock tank. Pretty sure even with a 47 tooth sprocket, going 55-60mph could only net me 90 miles per tank. Could be running on fumes as I pull in the drive way. Having the extra gallon of the clarke tank will be a nice Peace of mind. Or I guess i could carry an MSR fuel bottle just in case.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You aught to get like 10-15k miles out of the stock tires. I changed to Tw203-204 at 8600 miles and even my rear tire had lots of tread left.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Yeah my stock tires have a whole 200 miles on them so I will wear them out for sure. My only worry is the stock tank. Pretty sure even with a 47 tooth sprocket, going 55-60mph could only net me 90 miles per tank. Could be running on fumes as I pull in the drive way. Having the extra gallon of the clarke tank will be a nice Peace of mind. Or I guess i could carry an MSR fuel bottle just in case.
I tried the extra fuel bottles and found them to be one big pain in the a......! first off, when I had to use one, I all was smelled like gas.....next, it's a pain to have to stop and put fuel in. I now have a clark and it is nice to go the same amount of miles I did before on a tank and now I still have 1/2 a tank left. my msr now carries oil and I sold my 1 gal strap on tank ( and it is nice to have that gone)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Big Jimbo (Jimbo Shield) and many of the members have put a steering damper on their TDubbs since they use them as commuters too. Jimbo or one of the Veteran Members can give you some good insight on this topic.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Well added a rack for my commuter already

I have a 2014 as well, and love the color (it's what finally got me to pull the trigger on a TW). I'd love the extra capacity of a Clarke tank but couldn't bring myself to ruin those good looks! I may upgrade eventually but going to have to have a friend paint that Clarke to match before it goes on.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Maybe a Rotopak (spelling) can or two . I believe cycleracks.com has mounts especially for the aforementioned gas cans.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
I have a 2014 TW200 that I bought as my commuter/hunting rig. When I bought it I only had a 12 mile commute each way. We sold our house today and for the next year we will be living where I would have a 40 Mile commute each way ranging from 45-65MPH speed limit.

Is that too much for my little TW? I will try and ride it to work 3-5 days a week. I will obviously need to buy a bigger tank, re gear and some street tires. There will be one stretch of road that is 8 Miles long at 65MPH. The rest is 55mph and under because of traffic.

With Regular maintenance is that fine for my TW200?

Thoughts?

I have ridden my TW several times last year to work from Sand Hollow to Boise (Airport). I rode old hwy 30 to hwy 44 into Boise. 55 mph roads no problem though I may have been going a bit faster at times :eek:.

Then I went on Curtis up and out the connector to eastbound 84 to the Orchard exit. The connector is posted 60 and that was easy. Since it's posted 65 I hit the 2 mile or so section of 84 to the exit. Not comfortable with heavy early morning traffic, but if I could get a draft from a vehicle I was able to maintain 65 mph easy enough.

For testing purposes, I rode on I-84 from the Airport to Nampa. Good to go at 65-70 mph if I had a drafting partner. A few times from Ten Mile exit to Garrity exit I lost my drafting partner and was on my own. In a slight headwind up the shallow uphill sections, I could not maintain 65 and would drop to just below 60. Being in the right lane at this speed wasn't and issue and once it leveled off I regained speed.

I did this testing with both 50T and 45T sprockets. For commuting like this, I would use the 45T as it was much more comfortable RPM and MPG wise. Lots! I don't have any experience with a 47T sprocket but I suspect you will like it commuting better than the 50T.

I see you got a Jimbo Shield. I have to try one, one day. I used a Spitfire windscreen when commuting to keep the cold and bugs off my neck.

Long winded just to say you'll be fine on your commute!:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have ridden my TW several times last year to work from Sand Hollow to Boise (Airport). I rode old hwy 30 to hwy 44 into Boise. 55 mph roads no problem though I may have been going a bit faster at times :eek:.

Then I went on Curtis up and out the connector to eastbound 84 to the Orchard exit. The connector is posted 60 and that was easy. Since it's posted 65 I hit the 2 mile or so section of 84 to the exit. Not comfortable with heavy early morning traffic, but if I could get a draft from a vehicle I was able to maintain 65 mph easy enough.

For testing purposes, I rode on I-84 from the Airport to Nampa. Good to go at 65-70 mph if I had a drafting partner. A few times from Ten Mile exit to Garrity exit I lost my drafting partner and was on my own. In a slight headwind up the shallow uphill sections, I could not maintain 65 and would drop to just below 60. Being in the right lane at this speed wasn't and issue and once it leveled off I regained speed.

I did this testing with both 50T and 45T sprockets. For commuting like this, I would use the 45T as it was much more comfortable RPM and MPG wise. Lots! I don't have any experience with a 47T sprocket but I suspect you will like it commuting better than the 50T.

I see you got a Jimbo Shield. I have to try one, one day. I used a Spitfire windscreen when commuting to keep the cold and bugs off my neck.

Long winded just to say you'll be fine on your commute!:D

Since you know the area. I will be commuting from Nyssa to Hewlett Packard, 90% all back roads and honestly probably wont even touch a free way.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Since you know the area. I will be commuting from Nyssa to Hewlett Packard, 90% all back roads and honestly probably wont even touch a free way.
What?!?!? Nyssa? I work on the corner of Anderson Corner Road and Hwy 95 (well - in a building, not the actual corner - I'd never make any money on that corner..giggle).
Have you been riding on Pearl a few times this week? I've seen a new person on that road on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What?!?!? Nyssa? I work on the corner of Anderson Corner Road and Hwy 95 (well - in a building, not the actual corner - I'd never make any money on that corner..giggle).
Have you been riding on Pearl a few times this week? I've seen a new person on that road on a motorcycle.
We officially move that way on 4/10, only have been out there on my TW once so far. Once the mornings get up to 50 degrees I will start riding more. I assume I will commute Mid May - September. My wife's family is graciously letting us live with them until we figure out where in the area we want to build. Untill then I will stash cash and cruise around on the T-Dub!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts