TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was planning on making one for my 87 tw, then giving away the rest of the pieces to you guys.....but our rat terrier Vinnie didn't like that idea
. came home to this a few days ago

·
Registered
464 Posts
Be thankful it wasn't on the bike when the pooch did that.

My chocolate lab just had to eat up one of our sofas.

What is it about that foam or the smells they trap?

Mike

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I think they naturally despise VOC's, er sumpin'. That stuff ain't exactly cheap.

I gotta get some pics. My sister's lab literally ate my other sister's car a couple of weeks ago. Both bumpers, AC and tranny lines, tail lights and all. If it was rubber or plastic he shredded til he hit metal. $3700, total.

We bought an orthopedic memory foam dog bed thingy for "The Hardest Werkin Dawg in America" and if the old broad doesn't start using it pretty soon it's gunna be a TW seat. You gunna use it in its entirety or inset it into the tender parts?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and if the old broad doesn't start using it pretty soon it's gunna be a TW seat. You gunna use it in its entirety or inset it into the tender parts?

i was going to do the whole seat with it, but its so soft i may have to stack it on top of the stock foam and smash it down.

looks like the dog spared enough for me so i may give it a go this weekend

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I don't know about "memory foam". I've used plain old upholdstery foam available from any upholstery shop for a reasonable price. Motorcycle seats do better with harder foam since quite a bit of weight is supported over a relative small area compared to a recliner or sofa.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The quick and dirty method I've seen most is to cut a channel crosswise in two places roughly equal to just the area your butt occupies most. Remove that section and insert the memory foam, shape it, then recover.

If you just slap the cover back on without stapling it and go for a ride you should be able to see if you like the results. If not you can remove it and glue your old foam section back in. No harm, no foul.

The good thing about doing it this way is that you have the majority of your existing foam in plade to use as a shaping guide. You can also pull it off while leaving the staples in the forward part of the seat cover unmolested.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Since I'm in the "foam" business, I had to say something about this one. Dogs have been eating my foam flooring product for 20 years, and don't have a clue about why they do it. Technically, the chemistry should taste bad, but the running joke around here is that our product seems to be "Milkbone" flavored.

Memory foam is open-cell, so make sure you protect it when around water it or it will act like a sponge and soak up water. Same for most cushion type foams.

Closed cell foams like EVA or PE (used in a lot of padding and protective apps) can get wet and not soak up water. Higher density, so not as soft.

Blended sponge foams like polyurethane/latex are what is used in the most of the motorcycle seat pads on the market, like the Stearns pad everyone seems to love here. Waterproof and a weird squish feel that makes it seem soft

Rory

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Memory foam is open-cell, so make sure you protect it when around water it or it will act like a sponge and soak up water. Same for most cushion type foams.

Closed cell foams like EVA or PE (used in a lot of padding and protective apps) can get wet and not soak up water. Higher density, so not as soft.

Waterproof and a weird squish feel that makes it seem soft

Rory

phew, some important points i failed to think about. might have to test this fake memory foam before i destroy my factory one. thanks

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Kwitchurbellyackin. You choose to complicate your life with pets.

Ain't it the truth. "Wait, you are telling me I have to give them food and water and let them outside??"

Don't do it unless you know what you're getting into. Too many people give away large breed dogs like mine when they grow larger than a puppy because they had absolutely no idea what was about to happen to their life. Then they end up in shelters or dog fights or blahblah.

Sorry to get so serious, let's see more pics of motorcycles and dogs, or something

1 - 13 of 13 Posts