TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

I have a new 2015 TDub, and just passed the 200 mile mark. I noticed that my chain might be a little loose, so I consulted the owner's manual. The recommended slack according to the manual is between 1.4 and 2.4 inches. The slack on my chain is about 2.75 inches. Is this something that should concern me, or am I good to just wait for the 600-mile service and let Yamaha adjust the chain at that point? Recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,061 Posts
Adjust it.

·
Super Moderator
18,061 Posts
If you're keeping the stock chain, just consider it practice, you'll be adjusting it a lot. (sorry, couldn't help it) :p

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
If you're keeping the stock chain, just consider it practice, you'll be adjusting it a lot. (sorry, couldn't help it) :p
LT is right, the stock chain wears very quickly. Get an O-Ring or better yet, an X-Ring type chain on it as as possible, before it starts to wear the sprockets. Less adjusting + less wear on sprockets=more riding for less $. I installed an X-ring chain and it went 4,000 miles before the first adjustment!

·
Registered
254 Posts
LT is right, the stock chain wears very quickly. Get an O-Ring or better yet, an X-Ring type chain on it as as possible, before it starts to wear the sprockets. Less adjusting + less wear on sprockets=more riding for less $. I installed an X-ring chain and it went 4,000 miles before the first adjustment!

+1 on the O or X ring;)!

·
Super Moderator
5,259 Posts
Get used to lifting the chain with the toe of your boot to check the tension before you ride – you’ll soon get to know if it gets too tight or too loose – it’s a good way to check if it needs lube too

The chain is the highest maintenance item on the TW (or any) bike – even if it only needs adjusting once a month – you need to know where it is at any given time

As suggested above – an “X” ring or “O ring chain will make those adjustments few and far between – but still – get your boot up there every now and then just in case ………

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have 5,200 mi on my stock chain. I do not recommend this keeping this chain for any longer than you have to if you have the resources to get a nice X ring. The chain adjustment procedure is easy enough, but it gets real old, real quick.

One thing I do to help tell if your chains ready for an adjustment is when you're riding, give the throttle a quick pop. If you you can feel the chain go taught and slack, it will feel real jerky, its probably time.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
No stretching{pun intended} :pthe truth there....I still have the stock chain on my 2014 and have adjusted it at least 7 times in 3000 miles, including 3 times alone on the 1500 mile Great Lakes Adventure ride in July/August....It is easy, but eventually the X or O chain will replace the stock...just a matter of time.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
18,061 Posts
My O-Ring chain has been adjusted twice and I will probably never have to do it again. :p

Reactions: Turtle Chaser
1 - 13 of 13 Posts