TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
I should have done more searching before asking I suppose. i like having conversational technical discussions with experienced people so I wasn’t afraid to ask, particularly in this friendly group. The short “friction zone” of the clutch isn’t a virtue I like but being right near the end of travel of the clutch release makes me wonder how many more times I can use it until there would be no more and the clutch would slip. It isn’t slipping and the good suggestions regarding adjustments make logical sense to me. People suggesting I use a different oil makes me feel insecure in my abilities of logically expressing my question. I know I am not the best a expressing myself and am maybe not too smart but changing my brand of oil, really?
I am super appreciative of the helpful comments but maybe too new to really appreciate some of the humor I may be missing. I apologize.
I think There's a couple things at play here.

1. Everyone has a different experience based on their motorcycle knowledge when they start riding their TW.

2. People get frustrated with the TW clutch and start throwing everything and the kitchen sink at it (I know I did), and will often pick and cling to one of the 10 things they did that appeared to help without imperial data to back it up and advertise this as the way forward. (This doesn't apply to proven things like the return spring and cable adjustments).

3. People interpret feedback from the bike differently, some people can pick up on tiny variances in sound and vibration, mechanical inputs and responses, even torque... Some people can't, so there are often false positives when they do things like change their oil to synthetic and attempt to determine how it improves the motorcycle operation.

Me (personally) I ran yamalube for the first 800 miles, switched to synthetic mobile 1, and I did not notice any change in operation, clutch response, or sticky clutch plates (it still dies when I click it into first sometimes on a cold start with the clutch lever pulled in). So I think a lot of the statements are subject to the owners knowledge, experience, and motorcycle. Which can create some vastly varying datapoints when it comes to how something "feels."

What I do know is the largely agreed upon consensus is that we all have a tiny engagement zone with the clutch and lever, and while it feels weird, you eventually get used to the idea that unless you are just riding the clutch like a brake all the time, it's kind of bullet proof.

I think your deduction-by-discussion is warranted (and enjoyed) and your concerns are valid, clutch is what it is.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
The stock springs are weak, barely able to keep the motor from slipping. Aftermarket heavy duty springs will help some, but the design is short a set of plates and there's nothing to do about that. The TTR225 mod has a full set of plates and really make a difference.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I think There's a couple things at play here.

1. Everyone has a different experience based on their motorcycle knowledge when they start riding their TW.

2. People get frustrated with the TW clutch and start throwing everything and the kitchen sink at it (I know I did), and will often pick and cling to one of the 10 things they did that appeared to help without imperial data to back it up and advertise this as the way forward. (This doesn't apply to proven things like the return spring and cable adjustments).

3. People interpret feedback from the bike differently, some people can pick up on tiny variances in sound and vibration, mechanical inputs and responses, even torque... Some people can't, so there are often false positives when they do things like change their oil to synthetic and attempt to determine how it improves the motorcycle operation.

Me (personally) I ran yamalube for the first 800 miles, switched to synthetic mobile 1, and I did not notice any change in operation, clutch response, or sticky clutch plates (it still dies when I click it into first sometimes on a cold start with the clutch lever pulled in). So I think a lot of the statements are subject to the owners knowledge, experience, and motorcycle. Which can create some vastly varying datapoints when it comes to how something "feels."

What I do know is the largely agreed upon consensus is that we all have a tiny engagement zone with the clutch and lever, and while it feels weird, you eventually get used to the idea that unless you are just riding the clutch like a brake all the time, it's kind of bullet proof.

I think your deduction-by-discussion is warranted (and enjoyed) and your concerns are valid, clutch is what it is.
The stock springs are weak, barely able to keep the motor from slipping. Aftermarket heavy duty springs will help some, but the design is short a set of plates and there's nothing to do about that. The TTR225 mod has a full set of plates and really make a difference.
Thank you guys, that input is very reassuring. I replaced my kinda tricked out Yamaha XT225 which was an amazing little bike on and off road. I used the XT off road quite a bit and it had what I consider a good clutch. I have not had the TW off road in technical conditions yet. I understand these bikes are apparently capable of going about anywhere but on the short steep grade I did do, I had a difficult time powering up slowly. I tend to ride a lot of different bikes so yes, it is likely something I’ll become accustomed to. I’m hoping that folks will show me what these bikes are capable of during the Goat gathering and want my bike to work up to par, even if my riding skill isn’t. I’d hate to go to the event and have my TW quit working. I’m going to leave it as is for the event, sounds like it is fine.
I think that mostly I am really excited to have the opportunity to use the bike and ride with other TW folks.
I can’t wait! :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thank you guys, that input is very reassuring. I replaced my kinda tricked out Yamaha XT225 which was an amazing little bike on and off road. I used the XT off road quite a bit and it had what I consider a good clutch. I have not had the TW off road in technical conditions yet. I understand these bikes are apparently capable of going about anywhere but on the short steep grade I did do, I had a difficult time powering up slowly. I tend to ride a lot of different bikes so yes, it is likely something I’ll become accustomed to. I’m hoping that folks will show me what these bikes are capable of during the Goat gathering and want my bike to work up to par, even if my riding skill isn’t. I’d hate to go to the event and have my TW quit working. I’m going to leave it as is for the event, sounds like it is fine.
I think that mostly I am really excited to have the opportunity to use the bike and ride with other TW folks.
If you want to study what the TW can do, check out Fred's and Admiral's trail videos right here on the forum: it's inspiring and confidence building to see how they and their ladies put their bikes through the paces. 🤩

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I think someone, Brian perhaps, was able to get a XT225 or TTTR225 clutch in a TW200 side cover with a little grinding on some internal tabs. I think there's a thread where they posted photos of how they did this.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I found that EBC heavy duty clutch springs and a shorty 2 finger E-bay lever made for a a bit more feel in the friction zone. I did adjust my clutch free play on the push lever a bit when I installed my kick starter as well.
Bicycle part Wood Tool Hardwood Auto part

What I probably did, was increase the amount of force required to actuate the clutch, which makes it easier (for those with strong hands) to modulate the clutch position.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Rick if you watch Fred's riding videos you will be very disappointed at the gathering

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I hope Rick’s chain doesn’t come off or anything like that while he’s there.
Don’t forget to check yours 😀
Gully
We all know my chain has a mind of it's own ...
It does tend to stretch a bit by the time I pull the loaded trailer to the top of the mountain ...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Okay, I’m missing somethin. I can tell :rolleyes: :) Link to Fred’s videos? All this panic over my clutch and now you folks got me worried over my chain!
No worries Rick ..
It's a T-dub ...
Just twist the throttle and smile a lot....
your clutch is fine ... Chains can be adjusted . ( If your not too hungover )
mike from nc

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Rick, your gearing stock?

And, have you upgraded to an O or X-ring chain yet?

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I have a tendency to make myself too many projects. I’ll ride through it if it is near normal. I’ll get some opinion from guys at next week’s gathering I hope. Thank you for the input. I have a line on an XT225 engine… STOP IT RICK!! :) :rolleyes:
I was gonna say welcome to ride mine to compare.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Rick, your gearing stock?

And, have you upgraded to an O or X-ring chain yet?
Jeff,
yes my gearing is stock. My bike has 7k miles and it had just over 6k when I got it. The stock chain was “okay“ but seemed quite light duty. I replaced the sprockets and chain. Yes the chain is a DID x-ring chain.
thanks for offering the comparison, I’m sure as soon as you rode mine you would know If the clutch is abnormal.
just in case (and I see a silly pun there) I have some new EBC plates and expect a gasket tomorrow. I’m pretty sure it’s fine though.
rick

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looking forward to gathering with goats but I have motorcycle performance anxiety… my TW clutch doesn’t seem to slip but is engaging right at the end of the lever travel and is not easy to modulate as it works closer to a switch. I haven’t ridden other TWs so I don’t know what to expect as normal. On a steeper grade, trying to go slow up hill is difficult since the torque isn’t there to let the engine lug way down but the clutch seems awkward to control.

I know that is a subjective thing and maybe hard to answer but sound “normal“??
I've only been able to try one TW and don't have anything to compare it to, but I too was struck by the very narrow range for clutch engagement/disengagement, but from multiple comments like yours I assume it's a design issue. Now, the specific area in the travel of the lever where the clutch engages and disengages depends largely on the spring 23, as the "push lever assy" (20) has enough dead travel and depending on where the spring starts to work actively change the point in the travel of the lever where it engages, I do not know if I'm explaining myself clearly but I think more or less understood.

I do not know what the spring travel would have just left the factory, I think mine has yielded which forces to tighten the cable more so that the lever is with the 10 mm of play indicated in the manual and this in turn leads to the clutch is activated very early in the travel of the lever.

Motor vehicle Font Auto part Engineering Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
That is very interesting! I have a ton of ”play” at the lever but it feels like very little at the actuator in the case. I noticed last night looking for the cast-in pointer I never found.
thanks.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts