TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I started riding my tw to work in any conditions, the roads i use are very well plowed & traveled and I've only got 4 miles so I haven't had problems. I can handle plain wet roads.

yesterday went for a ride at about 2pm, been snowing moderately all day. went off the beaten path & tried to cut through a park (a road going through the park). the road had that packed white snow, you know it's not ice but it's slippery & my tires weren't biting into it at all, I was just sitting on top of it. took a very very very very gentle turn & boom front tire went right out & I kind of jumped off the bike. it happened very fast. not sure what i could have done except maybe sit waaaay up front over the front tire & give it some gas & hope for the best but i was too slow for all of that. all is well, I was only going about 20 and no one was behind me. hip is a little sore & i learned that in snowy conditions im sticking to my well traveled & plowed roads!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
ouch...glad you're ok...def better off with studded tires or chains on that stuff or just on softer trails...done plenty of mountain biking in the snow so i know how it feels to fall...my TW sits in the garage in the winter...if there were places to trail ride around here that may be a different story

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
the road had that packed white snow, you know it's not ice but it's slippery & my tires weren't biting into it at all

That packed snow is exactly why I tried and now use the chains on the rear. I also use short sheet metal screws on the (Shinko SR244) front tire (idea from mrgizmow). Of course I don't ride my TW on paved roads and limit my riding to tamer logging roads and trainls in the winter, but you're right, that packed snow is a doozy!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Definitely get the Shinko up front if you don't already have it. It will give you an edge over the stock tire, but snow still begs for screws in the knobs to really feel like you can stop yourself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We got about 5" of snow today, so I decided I was going to venture out for a ride.

I didn't fall or anything, but it wasn't one of my best ideas.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matty Moo, someone has to get out there and gather data on present conditions & relate them to the TW. it's like a moral imperative. anyway, I can see the road and it's not icy so no one is stopping me from riding to work!! can't wait

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is my 5th year of riding in the winter (anchorage ak) , mostly to and from work. I wrote up my experiences last year under my previous persona (Springbok) which seemd to have goten lost in the recent mal ware attacks here. In any case, a short description of what I use. They are a short threaded tempered screw made specifically to be traction addendums in snow machine tracks, or tires as well. I bought a kit @ the yamaha dealer in Palenville (wasilla, we can see russia from here) . I am running the original tires on my TW, pretty amazing since it is a 1994. The best arrangement on the screws is not to put them in the center lugs , but rather on the side lugs leaving the center lugs free contact with the road surface, but the side lugs are making contact also. They work quite well, I am careful and slow going around corners as it is not obvious where they will break loose. Icy roads are not a problem. I have ridden on frozen rivers and lakes with them.

The worst conditions is several inches of un-plowed fresh snow on an icy road surface, in its' self not a big deal if you were alone on the road but very scary in traffic where the other cars expect you to maintain their speed. That plus people tailgating makes the ride home in traffic in those conditions adventure riding or beyond.

This winter, is warmish and low snow compared to last year so the roads are just icy and it is not at all cold recently. Last month it was (-)20 a lot which I would ride in the past but now pass on. I am resistant to buying a winter helmet. I don't use hippo hands, I have gerbings but don't use them for my 3 mile run to work. The bike starts and runs really well in cold weather. I have a windscreen off a jet ski I mounted up a couple years ago which seems to help.

The ice screws in the tires do wear down, so I refresh them every 5 or 6 weeks. It helps to not wear them flat as they are harder to get out (needle nosed vice grips) if worn off. Here in alaska there are many that ride all winter. Some put regular car studs in, probably a better idea if you have longer distance to ride than I do. I do not think they work as well on ice as the screws however. I have not seen anybody putting chains on bikes here.

The first winter I rode, I used my DR650 with the same screw arrangement. The TW is a much better icy road winter bike. rw

1 - 11 of 11 Posts