TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the look of the extended swing arm, but will it reduce off road performance? Also, would I need to get a bunch of other stuff like a longer chain, etc., or is the longer arm good to go once it's on?

Thanks,

Siggi

Here's a pic of an extended swing arm:

click here

·
Registered
123 Posts
of course you'll have to get a longer chain to compensate for the new length. i think having a shorter wheel base helps in particular crawling situations. i've never riden a tdub with an extended arm! so im not too sure. you may high center alot easier! so ground clearance may be an issue with rocks. so maybe upgrading your skid plate?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, thought so on the chain. It makes sense. I guess the longer swing arm is for hot rodders, not dual sport people. I am going to mod my TW to be like Deus Ex Machina's stuff, but in a way that won't impede off road performance. No swing arm for me, I guess. Looks really cool though!

Is there a section this forum site for people who mod their TW's like the Japanese do? It seems like most people in the performance and customization part of this site don't mod their TW's cosmetically much at all, at least not so they are different looking than typical dual sport TW's. Most of the mods in the USA seem like improvements to performance, such as upgrades for suspension, etc. stuff like that, rather than different polished aluminum tanks, different seats, different (round headlight) etc. I live in Portland OR and I have seen plenty of TW's but not one that was radically modded in the look of the lil' beast.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You can not say, that an extended swing arm is always bad.

The Japanese swing arms are too long for the dirt riders. A long wheelbase is perfect for highway use -> sport/super sport bikes.

But ~5cm (2 inch) are a big plus for off road rides.

Before I've extended the swing arm, I always had the problem, that on steep hills the front wheel has lost the contact to the ground.

This problem was solved with the extended swing arm.

-> I have now a comparable wheelbase like a Honda CR250.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Thats pretty much what I was thinking. The pic posted has a swingarm they appears to be at least six inches longer than stock.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have a 3 inch swing arm stretch and actually think it is better for off road. For my set up it really made the rear end come alive(granted I'm using a banshee shock/vs tar spring combo. Also I have found the extra length helps with very steep up hill stuff. Doing it again I might go with a two inch versus three extension , but more for aesthetics and chain length.

Josh

·
Registered
59 Posts
In the movie The Running Man there are all these modified dirt bikes in the background making noise and adding to the overall silliness of the film. They must have three, maybe four foot long swing arms, and all they are doing is churning up dust. The riders are just locking up the front brake and leaning forward, demonstrating idiocy. Apparently, after watching this and Mad Max, I am to assume that spinning the rear tire is menacing.

Now that we live in the future, I am surprised that this never caught on. The movie does take place in 2017, so I guess we have 5 years to make this a reality.

EDIT: I looked it up, and may have been wrong. The movie may have been 2019 or 2025. We may have more time than I thought.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah, thought so on the chain. It makes sense. I guess the longer swing arm is for hot rodders, not dual sport people. I am going to mod my TW to be like Deus Ex Machina's stuff, but in a way that won't impede off road performance. No swing arm for me, I guess. Looks really cool though!

Is there a section this forum site for people who mod their TW's like the Japanese do? It seems like most people in the performance and customization part of this site don't mod their TW's cosmetically much at all, at least not so they are different looking than typical dual sport TW's. Most of the mods in the USA seem like improvements to performance, such as upgrades for suspension, etc. stuff like that, rather than different polished aluminum tanks, different seats, different (round headlight) etc. I live in Portland OR and I have seen plenty of TW's but not one that was radically modded in the look of the lil' beast.

Do you mean something like this?

My bike is CRYING for an extended swingarm! Hopefully I have one lined up right now from a forum member here... I'd love to get my Dub completely finished over the winter.. the po/builder told me it was 98% complete, he wasn't far wrong... I think I got a smokin deal at $2000.00

z

·
Registered
572 Posts
Do you mean something like this?

My bike is CRYING for an extended swingarm! Hopefully I have one lined up right now from a forum member here... I'd love to get my Dub completely finished over the winter.. the po/builder told me it was 98% complete, he wasn't far wrong... I think I got a smokin deal at $2000.00

z

Now that is a decent looking mod. All the others like this always looked incomplete; like they just stopped at the end of the seat. I like this bike! Two grand is a great deal. You done good. It doesn't look to me like it needs and extended swing arm; or anything else for that matter.

What engine is that?

Ride on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Macbig, just out of curiosity, what is your height and weight? I am six feet tall, 200 pounds. Where did you get your two inch extension? I am interested in buying your model of swing arm. Thanks, Siggi

You can not say, that an extended swing arm is always bad.

The Japanese swing arms are too long for the dirt riders. A long wheelbase is perfect for highway use -> sport/super sport bikes.

But ~5cm (2 inch) are a big plus for off road rides.

Before I've extended the swing arm, I always had the problem, that on steep hills the front wheel has lost the contact to the ground.

This problem was solved with the extended swing arm.

-> I have now a comparable wheelbase like a Honda CR250.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I am ~5.75 feet (175 cm) tall, ~205 pounds (93kg).

I am using a banshee shock with the TW spring (fits with a big spacer).

My extended swing arm is self made (a second one was on stock). A friend of me was a big help, he's a very good welder and does have a lot of experiences with motocross and enduro bikes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Now that is a decent looking mod. All the others like this always looked incomplete; like they just stopped at the end of the seat. I like this bike! Two grand is a great deal. You done good. It doesn't look to me like it needs and extended swing arm; or anything else for that matter.

What engine is that?

Ride on.

Thanks Kwizard the bike really caught my eye ( I gotta say tho.. I really do NOT like the po's choice in seat material ) when I went looking for a bike to buy. I'm hoping to mod a harley fatbob tank this winter to fit my Tdub ... I LOVE the way this looks and really hope to get it done soon. The seat in the picture is a rear seat from ... er... um.. I think it was a suzuki something or other.. it's much more comfortable than it looks.

I want the extended swinger to help compensate for the front end being a little "twitchy" on the road (due to my engine being quite a bit more powerful than stock). The po modded the frame to accept the engine from a 2003 YZ250F, the ONLY thing I find "regrettable" with the engine mod is the uber crappy valve system of the yz250f... apparently these valves are more than capable of destroying the cylinder head if they aren't maintained properly
HOPEFULLY the fact that I won't be riding this thing with the engine up on it's rev limiter all the time will give me some reasonable service intervals... fingers crossed!

z

·
Registered
572 Posts
Please; will one of you more mechanically gifted members make us some extended swingarms, or better yet; offer a conversion service. I think like Web does their cam. Pay a core charge, and get it refunded when you ship your stock arm back. I'm thinking you could probably get a good deal of business.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Please; will one of you more mechanically gifted members make us some extended swingarms, or better yet; offer a conversion service. I think like Web does their cam. Pay a core charge, and get it refunded when you ship your stock arm back. I'm thinking you could probably get a good deal of business.

Excellent idea!

z

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

You would think so. But the reality is that we are often our own worst enemies when it comes to assuring that we remain the redheaded stepchildren of the aftermarket.

At the risk of sounding indelicate, "mechanically gifted" members have in the past done just that. Made the investment, built the jigs, produced a couple of nice units at a cost that was in some cases roughly half that of importing them from Japan, came up with an exchange program, etc. Then no one bought them.

Two days later you read a thread by someone proudly displaying the $700 swingarm he just imported from Japan. Go figger.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Your right Liz; but maybe the time wasn't right then. The extended arms are getting a lot of good feedback lately. Do any of those fabricators still have their jigs; or maybe an unsold extended swingarm? I want one, and I think several other members do too.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
A former member named "Villageidiot" was doing atretches that appeared to be pretty decent. As far as I knoe Bikerjosh was his only customer. He's no longer active on here, but try emailing him through his username.

There are a couple of others, but I'm not sure they're still interested. If they are I'll let them speak for themselves.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hopefully in addition to the O.P's question:

Would anyone be able to recommend a specific sprocket and chain set to suit an extended swingarm? I've seen people mention 'the' D.I.D. spr/chain set (but couldn't find a reference number).

Would it be suitable for various length swingarm extensions (say 2 - 6inch?) and also be suitable for both on and off-road (?)

many thanks

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Your right Liz; but maybe the time wasn't right then. The extended arms are getting a lot of good feedback lately. Do any of those fabricators still have their jigs; or maybe an unsold extended swingarm? I want one, and I think several other members do too.

Jimbo made a few longer swing arms and they came out very nice,I have one of his 4". I think he would make some more and the price would be less than the ones from Japan. We should ask him what it would take.

I have ran a 8", 6", 4", a 3" and I like the 4" the best for me. If you run a 4" or longer you will need to mod your fender. Jimbo runs a 4".

Ronnydog

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Keep in mind Yamaha had a huge recall on lots of our shocks (53,814 bikes 1987-2001) (Except in the USA, not enough folks banded together to make the recall happen here). Doing anything to cause more strain on these shocks like extending the swingarm, riding crazy offroad or overloading the bike MAY increase the likelyhood of them failing. The failure rate was very very low on a stock TW, but enough did break to warrant Yamaha replacing them. It's just something to keep in the back of your mind.

I really like the looks of the extended arm, if I ever get a beater tw I just might do it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts