TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Excited to be posting for the first time, have been following this forum for the past two years.

Took my MSF class and passed two years ago and due to work and "relationship" challenges, was not considering or could even afford a bike until now. I've been a fan of the TW's since I first laid eyes on them in the 90's and being a beginner rider, I figured this would be a bike that I'd like to get into and probably never trade in, but just add to my collection down the line. Would be doing a little trail riding but mostly little short trips around town (no major highway driving).

I do however have a couple concerns. First and foremost, I am 6ft 2, 230lbs and every time I have visited a dealer in the past they have tried to talk me out of the TW and rather tried to talk me into a bigger dual sport, saying that I'm too big for the TW. Do you feel that this is true?

Secondly, I've been watching craigslist and also cycle trader and used TW's do not come up a lot around my area, but rather a lot of brand new 2017's and 2018's. In your advice, would you wait for something used to come up or take the plunge for a new unit?

Appreciate all of your feedback.

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum!! :D

You are not too big. There are taller and much rounder folks around here that love their TW's. :D Add a couple inches of bar risers and you're ready to go...
Hello everyone,

Excited to be posting for the first time, have been following this forum for the past two years.

Took my MSF class and passed two years ago and due to work and "relationship" challenges, was not considering or could even afford a bike until now. I've been a fan of the TW's since I first laid eyes on them in the 90's and being a beginner rider, I figured this would be a bike that I'd like to get into and probably never trade in, but just add to my collection down the line. Would be doing a little trail riding but mostly little short trips around town (no major highway driving).

I do however have a couple concerns. First and foremost, I am 6ft 2, 230lbs and every time I have visited a dealer in the past they have tried to talk me out of the TW and rather tried to talk me into a bigger dual sport, saying that I'm too big for the TW. Do you feel that this is true?

Secondly, I've been watching craigslist and also cycle trader and used TW's do not come up a lot around my area, but rather a lot of brand new 2017's and 2018's. In your advice, would you wait for something used to come up or take the plunge for a new unit?

Appreciate all of your feedback.

Registered
I'm 6'4", 236lbs (down from 260 since June :D ), and I LOVE my TW!

Guys our size usually install the heavy-duty springs available through Pro-Cycle, and as LittleTommy mentioned, handlebar risers help out as well.

I'd say hold out for a good used bike. Most of the used TWs I've seen have less than 3K miles, and are about half the price of a new one... but may have deferred maintenance issues depending on the age.

Where are you located (in general)?

Registered
1) will not hurt AS much when you crash on a used bike.

2) like many say; nice to save $ if you can on a good used bike. I'm the odd one out. In over 40 years: only two new cars; but all new bikes.

3) as a total novice, if problems creep up on a used bike; it may get really frustrating - compared to "generally" that nice new vehicle dependability.

Welcome and good luck.

Registered
Welcome from West TN to the forum!
I'm exactly your height and weight and the Yamadog TW200 fits well with a bit of tweaking. IMHO It's an old guy's Honda trail 70, fat tires, street legal, trail bike. I looked for months til I found a used one with low miles at a fair price. You'll need the $ saved in used versus new for gear and upgrades. It never ends lol. Once I get the bike set up like I want, I'll have to buy more riding and camping gear. This forum and 30 years of same design makes for easy repairs and readily available parts. Get one asap!!!
#GYG

Edit: an old Mc guy told me, oh wait that was me talking. if you are interested in a particular bike, don't buy used unless you are a mechanic or can find an online forum of experienced helpful fanatics of that bike. The existence of this forum is reason enough to own one!#!!!

'13 TW200

A.T.

Registered
Buy New!

Less problems ...under warranty. Find a good dealer with a good repair staff, and make a deal, don't fall for all the add on prices, deal, deal, deal....I would go for a 2017{or even older, quite a few "New" 15s and 16s out there} they want them gone{plus I like the colors better} ...Good Luck and Welcome to the Forum!

Registered
I'm 200 lb + 30 lb of gear. It's not a highway bike so with stock gearing I like mine at 50 mph max. At your weight going to a rear gear like 45 wot help on the highway. It's a lousy motocross bike but for all around use it's great. It's forgiving and has a low seat height since you are a new rider. You may ride a TW for awhile and decide you want to hit the highway more so just sell it at that point or add a more road capable bike. The dealers may be looking at your weight and you hitting the highway and being disappointed. If I seriously wanted to hit the highway much more I'd be looking at 400 cc or so but then the weight goes up and the feel is completely different off road. I have talked to big guys who also had 650 dual sports who sold them because they could hardly pick it up.

Registered
Welcome from KS. I always go used, as I'm on the cheap side. I also feel that if you find a good used one, you can sell it later on if you want something different. And you might want something different, but that doesn't mean you can't have two different motorcycles. They're not wives, they are motorcycles. They like company in the garage! lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the welcome! I am actually in the Pittsburgh (western Pennsylvania) area so there are a lot of hills around here that I was taking into consideration as well for both road and dirt. I grew up riding a 250CC utility quad and also we partially restored a 197x's Motobecane Moped in Canary Yellow, but dirt bikes and motorcycles were off limits due to a football scholarship in college. Excited to get back into it, in an intelligent manner. I've seen too many people get a 1000cc motorcycle after taking the MSF course and end up hurting themselves or swearing off the hobby all together for fear.

As of today, I'm not able to really find too many used TW's in the area except one that is in central PA from a dealer. It is a 2007 with 14,000 miles and they want $2195 for it. I'm know this is the "Advertised" price, but wasn't sure if this is a good deal? A lot of my "wheeler dealer" skills come on 4 wheels and not two!

Again, I went to "browse" a new TW yesterday and again Sales tried to get me into a DRZ400 and even tried to put me into a used 2012 Versys 650. I'm not feeling comfortable enough to handle a 650 yet and also I'm more prone to want to use the TW all year round (my family lives relatively close and we live in a residential area). Has anyone used theirs in the snow? Also- does anyone have an opinion on the best insurance for TW's?

Registered
If you just want to have fun on the trails and maybe a little to and from on the pavement, the Tw 200 is the most awesome bike ever made.
Im pretty close to your size and they work great for me, There no Harley, but I rather ride one of my 2 Tw's any day rather than my Harley.
You sure don't need a New one, if money no issue what the heck! Get a new one.
Remember this, if you do get one or any Carburetor bike, stay clear of Fuel with Ethanol if you can. Good Luck:

Registered
For around town or a farm bike they are one of the best bikes made. Awesome in the mud, woods, and small hills, doesn't rip up the yard.

Now if you plan on running it on the road at anywhere near highway speeds you WILL be disappointed. Sure around town 45-50 or under you'll be fine. But you will be the slowest thing blocking traffic. Hills of any size and you'll be downshifting.

This has been my experience not an opinion. Riding everything from a Honda 50 to a 1800 Wing. I like the little fella and plan on keeping it, but it has it's limitations. The dealer may have been right, all depends on what your plans for it are.

Registered
I'm beginning to enjoy my new to me '13. I imagined it to be screaming at 55 mph but It really doesn't start screaming (stock sprockets) til 65, or maybe my cheap ass helmet wind noise and wax filled ears are blocking it out. Whatever. I have no hesitation of running an indicated 60 mph with itty bitty throttle left. I've seen 67-68 indicated and that's about all I can get unless I tuck or go downhill. I guess years of running lawn Mowers wide open has Conditioned me to Not Cringe when it's wound up. Oh well just thought I'd add to the conversation. It's not as incapable of highway speeds as I thought it would be.
#GoYamadogGo

'13 TW200

A.T.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
In pictures that I've seen, I've noticed two separate sets of tires. Some have very knobby tires made more for the dirt and I've also witnessed some more road friendly tires. Any insights anyone?

Super Moderator
Just depends on how much off road you plan on doing. The street tires still do a ok job off road.
In pictures that I've seen, I've noticed two separate sets of tires. Some have very knobby tires made more for the dirt and I've also witnessed some more road friendly tires. Any insights anyone?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts